HD TV questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 8:21 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
HD TV questions

So, we're remodeling the Media Room, and finally getting rid of the old 32" tube-type 4:3 TV set. We'll replace it with an HD flat-screen, of course, but there are just so many choices out there . . .

The room is only 11' wide, so we don't need a huge TV. I figure around 42" should do nicely. Obviously HD is the way to go, probably a standard 1080p 16:9 widescreen.

We mostly use it for shows we've recorded on the DVR, and NetFlix DVDs. Having an HDMI input (pretty much standard now) means we can add an AppleTV and stream more stuff. I've seen a few "Smart" TVs, but for what we do, the AppleTV should be just fine (plus it works well with all our media stored on various computers).

Other than that, we're pretty much open.

So what are your thoughts on Plasma versus LCD versus LED? How about different manufacturers? Different models? And what do you like or dislike about your current set?

It doesn't have to be the absolute cheapest option out there, but we're not looking for Home Cinema quality (and cost) either. Just a decent set at a reasonable price that might last us for a few years, or at least until everything starts getting broadcasted at 4K resolution.

Thoughts?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Re: HD TV questions

LED over LCD for picture. You can get some good deals with plasma but they use more energy and produce more heat than LED, and LCD. LED is the most energy efficient and is a great picture. Plasma is a very rich in color picture in darker rooms. You can crank up the brightness for LCD and LED for rooms that get the sun. LCD has the least contrast of the three. Samsung has very good picture in both plasma and LED. I have a 40" LED Samsung and we just love it. Watching the game in HD is amazing. 38"-46" should be good size

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Last edited by mwnahas; Jan 19th, 2013 at 9:29 pm.
post #3 of 20 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 9:23 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Go with the LED 42" for your room size. If the unit is to big or in your face it doesn't look good...

Side Note:
Now if you want to spend big bank wait until later this year and get a OLED from any of the usual's ... Samsung, LG, Panasonic.

But wait there's more... Hold out for the ultra high end 4K... You can watch 2 shows at the same time on the same screen... Glasses required

Unfortunately no one will be broadcasting in any of these formats for many years to come. The industry is still trying to push 3D crap.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #4 of 20 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 2:29 am

I went through this just over a year ago. I went with 2 Panasonic plasmas, and I couldn't be happier. All of the old "down-sides" you hear about plasma TVs are just that ... old and out-dated information. There's just no getting around the fact that most plasmas have a refresh rate of 600Hz. And I feel that spec is the most important one.

You didn't mention how deep the room is, but I think you should consider a 50". Panasonic 50" Plasma

- Joe
post #5 of 20 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 7:33 am

I just purchased a 55-inch LED Samsung 3D Smart TV (upgraded from a 45-inch LCD). I did not need the Smart TV or 3D, but the price was un beatable, plus the picture was much better over the plain 55-inch LED TV. I also have the Apple TV and a Samsung 3D blue ray player. Each device has the "smart" apps, so it is not needed for the TV.
Depending how far you sit from your TV, I would recommend a 45-inch at a minimum. Going from a 32-inch tube TV, you will be blown away with anything.
One other thing, I would NEVER buy another Vizio TV. I have a 36-inch LCD that was hardly used and got the black screen on it. Per Vizio, they manufacture "throw away" TV's in which they cannot be fixed. I guess you get what you pay for! In my opinion, the best LED's are made from Samsung, Sony, or Sharp. Good luck in your hunt!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #6 of 20 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 7:57 am

I just sold my plasma TV a few months back because it just gave off too much heat (110 degrees), Mess is probably right in that they have improved this glitch about the plasmas.

I bought the Sharp Aquos LED (52), the people at Best Buy got to know pretty well as I was in there many times before I finally purchased it. As far as specs go I not into that part of it, I'm more of the eye test person. there are times when watching a movie that the picture takes on a 3D like picture although it's not 3D.

You are able to stream stuff wireless from your computer also able to hook to Netflix and Pandora wireless.

you are probably right about the size, but most manufactures make a 46", I would take a look anyhoo. Don't forget the surround sound, makes movies much better.

Very happy with this TV.

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #7 of 20 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 9:27 am

LED is LCD. The difference is that standard LCD uses fluorescent back lighting. "LED" sets are still LCD displays with LED's used for the back lighting. The LED lit sets are much brighter, and work best in rooms with a lot of ambient light.

This is something that the industry has used to make people think that they have come up with a new display, when they are just LCD with a different light source.

Plasma still uses more power, and produces more heat than LCD. Contrast ratio (better blacks) is better than LCD. Not as bright as LED lit LCD though. Maybe shorter life, if one plans to keep it for years.

5 years ago I was looking for a new TV, and studied long and hard before buying a 73" Mitsubishi DLP.. I have a pretty large room, and we sit about 20 feet from the set, so needed a pretty large screen. DLP was the only thing that would fit the bill at an affordable cost. I have been extremely happy with it. Picture is as good or better compared to plasma or LCD, but since it is projection, not a "flat" screen. It is 13" deep, not an issue in my deep room.

Samsung quit making DLP a while back, Mitsubishi is getting out of the TV market now. Too bad, as DLP is great, but the market is driven by "Flat", rather than cost vs size and picture quality. I also have a 47" "LED", with full LED light panel instead of Edge Lit as most LED sets are, and the DLP picture is better.

DLP is still the choice for Front Projection units.

Anyone looking for a LARGE (over 60") set, look at the Mitsubishi DLP's while they are still available. Still the best picture for the cost. DLP does require bulb replacement every 2-3 years, not a biggie. I have replaced one at 3 years, $85, 10 minutes.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 20 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

FWIW, check the sound quality of any prospective HD purchase. I purchased an LG 42LV4400 LED HDTV earlier this year knowing the sound needed improvement and purchased a Panasonic Sound Bar.

Did a ton of research with comments from Amazon as well as the electronic site such as CNET. it had the price and other features that I wanted upgrading form a Panasonic 34" tubber!

For the little TV I watch (Dish Sat service,non-HD) it works for me

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #9 of 20 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 11:08 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
FWIW, check the sound quality of any prospective HD purchase. I purchased an LG 42LV4400 LED HDTV earlier this year knowing the sound needed improvement and purchased a Panasonic Sound Bar.
You're correct - most LCD TV's have crappy sound - even those touting 10W+/channel. You just can't get good sound from those small drivers in the plastic bezel, especially if your viewing distance is any more than about 6 feet away.

We just installed (for a client) a Sharp 90" LCD (this thing is HUGE, and is actually marketed as 90 1/64" diagonal ) and even that with it's touted "20W a channel" the sound was BAD. Luckily we had installed a distributed speaker system for the conference room (30'x40') fed from the TV (and other sources) so the people at the back of the room can actually hear what they are seeing.

Bottom line - invest in a decent sound bar or surround system.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #10 of 20 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 11:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
You're correct - most LCD TV's have crappy sound - even those touting 10W+/channel. You just can't get good sound from those small drivers in the plastic bezel, especially if your viewing distance is any more than about 6 feet away.

We just installed (for a client) a Sharp 90" LCD (this thing is HUGE, and is actually marketed as 90 1/64" diagonal ) and even that with it's touted "20W a channel" the sound was BAD. Luckily we had installed a distributed speaker system for the conference room (30'x40') fed from the TV (and other sources) so the people at the back of the room can actually hear what they are seeing.

Bottom line - invest in a decent sound bar or surround system.
+1 Gino!
I just finished (as non-appointed project manager) the installation of a 70" SmartBoard system. It replaced an obsolete rear-projection system. With the original install we had a separate in-wall sound system with a dedicated audio amp.

We also had switchable inputs for DVD Elmo and a VHS player. It's amazing how technology has improved. Older professionally produced VHS tapes were very "noisy" and not usable when projected on the 70" venue. On the other had, YouTube videos in HD and DVDs were very good.

We use this system for training and sales presentations.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 20 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:29 pm

I just went through this a few months back. We didn't need it, it was one of those things my wife said "Let's go ahead and do it." If you're about 11ft away (your stated width) you CAN go too big. We decided on a 40" but ended up getting a real deal on a 42" at Best Buy. LED is the way to go. It's MUCH slimmer and uses much less power. Because the speakers are crap we run the TV sound through our Samsung Blue Ray Home Theater in a box and get surround sound on TV programming when offered. We thought we'd get by with our existing TV package from AT&T U-Verse because our purchase was intended for Blue Ray movies. After less than a month we added the HD "upgrade" to our existing package and all I can say is "WOW! That's when we started enjoying the surround sound too. The HDMI cable provides both digital video and audio.

Make yourself real familiar with your cable or satellite box too. On ours we can change the video on ours to 4:3 standard, 720p and 1080p to meet the abilities of the TV. Before we upgraded to an HD signal I changed the box to 1080 and it converted the aspect ratio which looked better than our old Sony 32" Wega on most programming. Our advantage of U-Verse is that we were able to upgrade to HD using our existing box and by sitting on the sofa and using the remote to do it. That's right, no phone call, no service appointment.

The "kid" at Best Buy asked how far away we'd be from the TV and then only showed me 40 & 42" units. Look at them from your normal viewing distance. Then walk up to them and you'll notice the edges get jagged the closer you get. If you get a monster for your room, you could see those jagged edges while sitting on your sofa or in your chair. I ended up with an Insignia 42" 1080p 120hz LED. While you may think the 120hz is better, it isn't always. Our TV shows the refresh rate it automatically sets. Most HD programming is at 60hz while Blue Ray is at 24hz (which by the way is what the eye and the brain see & process at).

One other advantage is that streaming Netflix shows or movies now show up in HD if they are offered that way and show a 24hz rate if they're true HD.

Pull the trigger, you'll like it.

P.S.
My brother in law's business is in making, installing and maintaining soundboards, recording studios, large screen video (stadiums) and said that there's only 3 manufactures who make the displays anyway; LG, Sony (maybe Panasonic if not Sony) and Samsung. Everybody uses one of the 3. For example our Insignia (Best Buy Brand) is really an LG.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Last edited by blueknightga6; Jan 20th, 2013 at 12:35 pm.
post #12 of 20 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I went through this just over a year ago. I went with 2 Panasonic plasmas, and I couldn't be happier. All of the old "down-sides" you hear about plasma TVs are just that ... old and out-dated information. There's just no getting around the fact that most plasmas have a refresh rate of 600Hz. And I feel that spec is the most important one.

You didn't mention how deep the room is, but I think you should consider a 50". Panasonic 50" Plasma
Thats whats in my bedroom...love it. Joes right.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #13 of 20 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 6:46 pm
Gold Supporter

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...g-on-the-st60/

C. E. Doerr

Blu '02LTC "My Blue Heaven"
post #14 of 20 Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 12:30 am
Super Moderator

I work at Roku now. If you want a really great streaming solution I'd be happy to get you one at my employee discount.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #15 of 20 Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 6:32 am

There may only be 3 manufacturers but they don't all get the same screens. I don't know if it is still the case but early in flat screen production there were a lot of screens that were rejected because they did not meet the minimum specs and these went to the second and third tier manufacturers.

Gerhard
post #16 of 20 Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
There may only be 3 manufacturers but they don't all get the same screens. I don't know if it is still the case but early in flat screen production there were a lot of screens that were rejected because they did not meet the minimum specs and these went to the second and third tier manufacturers.

Gerhard
And I'd be willing to bet different hardware and software to drive the displays too. Remember, the 3 only make the displays and not the televisions. Unless it's their own.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #17 of 20 Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 12:10 pm

Stay away from plasma if there's a large window. They're not great for bright rooms.

My L/R is long and wide, it's only 12' wide and I went with a 40" LCD and I feel I could comfortably have only gone to 42, maybe 44. We sit normal distance away, around 10 feet. I'd advise against the 50" unless you are sitting far away, like 15 feet and beyond.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #18 of 20 Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 5:44 pm

50" Panasonic Plasma with sound through a Sony receiver into a Bose speaker system. Picture quality is outstanding even with a large set of windows about 20 from the set. I believe Consumer Reports also liked the Panasonic picture. Warmth helps heat the room in the winter.
post #19 of 20 Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 7:28 pm
cws

Garage

While slightly irrelevant for general home use at the moment and what you can buy at a good consumer price... only because the screens are JUST coming out in 55" models...
OLED will be the way to go for picture quality as it has the best REAL dynamic contrast range currently available, and it gets that through having real blacks (ie next to no light emitted on a black screen).
We run 2 x OLED (24") Sony's in our commercials finishing suites, and they crap all over the "broadcast spec" Panasonic Plasma's.... in fact I've just been trying to calibrate a Panny BT300 to rec.709 (HD broadcast spec) and its not quite there in the red saturation or brightness. We have around 6 or 7 Panasonic Pro plasma's here, and while they are all quite good and you'd be more than happy with them in the home, they don't quite meet critical requirements... no panel tv's have until OLED's were brought out.

My home 6 year old 42" LG LCD (2D only) will remain on duty until OLED's become more prevalent and the price point drops... then I'll be updating. And 42" seems so small now... whereas back then it seemed to be huge in size.

Be interesting to see what happens with the 4K (UltraHD) thing... very few films are actually finished at 4K, and I expect it will still be sometime before general live broadcast content gets near 4k... it still has to be massively compressed for transmission.
So, most content will still be transmitted at either standard def or HD (720p or 1080p at best) and resized to fill your screen size, except for your special higher-price channels (not sure what the situation is in the US with all your available options..) and its taken well over 10 years since HD was introduced and still very little is available in the way of full HD broadcast out here (except Foxtel HD pay channels).

BTW, just got an email from another online forum discussing some of the latest gear shown at CES (Consumer Electronics Show). Here's some info about 4k stuff, if your into the tech-geek side of tele pictures...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Jan 22nd, 2013 at 8:57 pm. Reason: additional info
post #20 of 20 Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Be interesting to see what happens with the 4K (UltraHD) thing... very few films are actually finished at 4K, and I expect it will still be sometime before general live broadcast content gets near 4k... it still has to be massively compressed for transmission..

I think before the 4k thing works out we need a much better pipeline for the majority of households. We have a Sony Bravia 40" receive our tv signal over Fiber Optic and have an Apple TV. Watching Netflix right now over the Apple TV and it is only 720i but looks very good at about 10 feet and even when going closer to the set it looks very good. The other thing is many people have data caps which would be hit real quick watching streaming 4k. I doubt that people are willing to go back to getting their TV entertainment on physical media so I doubt that high capacity disks or such would fill the gap.

Gerhard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in