Trends in Motorcycle Touring - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Trends in Motorcycle Touring

Thought some of you might find this of interest. It's from page W10 of the March 31, 2006 edition of the Wall Street Journal.

-----------------------snip----------------------------

Travel companies are revving up motorcycle vacations, and motorcycle makers want to join the pack.

Last April, Off the Beaten Path in Bozeman, Mont., started offering individual bikers custom-designed nature rides through the Grand Tetons and the Southwest. (The trip typically costs $3,995 per person for seven days, including tour guide, bike and other amenities.) Since January, Abercrombie & Kent has packaged a 360-mile ride from Ayers Rock to Kings Canyon in Australia's Outback, at about $466 per person. Meantime, BMW Motorcycles will launch a tour program called "Xplor" this spring, while Harley-Davidson says it will start a tour business early next year.

The new tours come as more Americans are buying motorcycles: Unit sales rose 5% last year, from 2004, and have nearly tripled since 1995. Also, the proportion of bikers with a love for long distances has been slowly growing, with 31% of owners at least occasionally touring more than 500 miles at a time, up from 28% five years before, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council's latest survey, in 2003. Short tours were up, too.

The new travel tours are also aimed at people who don't own a motorcycle -- or never have. Keith Roe, an engineering-company executive from Greenwich, Conn., recently got back on a bike for the first time in 20 years for an Off the Beaten Path custom tour with his wife. The 60-year-old says they got funny looks when they accidentally rolled into a 1,500-motorcycle rally in a small Wyoming town. "My wife had on jeans and a fancy pocketbook while other girls were wearing leather bras," Mr. Roe says.

For some tours, you don't even have to be on a bike. Sean Reid, owner of Northeastern Motorcycle Tours, leads gourmet trips through New England, and recently began to let vacationers tag along in fancy sports cars. He says, "A lot of folks don't know how to ride, but they'd love to do the whole thing in a Porsche Boxster."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 12:35 pm

I read that too. Not surprising. With more people (baby boomers) in the "riding re-entry" age bracket there's bound to be more people on bikes. I know the feeling the man described when he happened on a Harley fest. I accidently rode through York, PA a few years ago during their big Harley gathering. Just me on my Yamaha and a few thousand of my bestest Harley buds!

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #3 of 3 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Bigger demand

There is without a discussion an increase in demand for Motorcycle Tours as well as quality.
While many companies focus in the US to help people realize their dreams like the road 66 or the grand canyon or many other trip plans, Europe, for example offers many options as well as a great variety of cultures and sceneries.
When you get into that business, aside the fact it is the best job you can have, you have to be fully commited to the customer and her/his needs. This in fact helps to design very specific and interesting packages and also explains the great variety of offers you can find on the "old continent".
Choosing the tour operator you will enjoy riding with is definitely the toughest job as a customer! But one this is sure: you will enjoy the twisty roads in Europe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in