A Message by George Carlin: - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 28th, 2012, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

A Message by George Carlin:

This seemed pretty good for the New year.... attributed to George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways ,but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete...

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 29th, 2012, 6:13 am Thread Starter

Re: A Message by George Carlin:

Did a check with Snopes, late, and found out that George did not write this. Someone figured that tagging it to George would get it a little more exposure than the man who really wrote it! I like what was written and and hope that I can follow it and do better.

Happy New year!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 29th, 2012, 6:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Did a check with Snopes, late, and found out that George did not write this. Someone figured that tagging it to George would get it a little more exposure than the man who really wrote it! I like what was written and and hope that I can follow it and do better.

Happy New year!
Hey Dan, regardless of whom ever wrote this it very eloquently expresses exactly what I've been thinking and feeling lately. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 29th, 2012, 6:58 am

Quote:

Happy New year!
Hey Dan, regardless of whom ever wrote this it very eloquently expresses exactly what I've been thinking and feeling lately. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 29th, 2012, 7:46 am

Thanks Dan. It's a very good observation no matter who authored it. But I knew Carlin didn't write it when I saw the prayer reference.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 29th, 2012, 7:52 am

Oh, so true!
Thanks for sharing.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #7 of 10 Old Dec 29th, 2012, 8:06 am

Even though he didn't write this it seems to have George's voice, he was a master of observation. All except the prayer part, don't think he was a believer. But good words to contemplate for sure.

Happy New Year.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 29th, 2012, 9:22 am Thread Starter

George wasn't too religious!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 29th, 2012, 9:56 am

Quote:
George wasn't too religious!
You could go so far as to say George was anti-religion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	religion_free_dvd_player1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	37300  

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 29th, 2012, 10:14 am

The author is Dr. Bob Moreland former pastor of the Overlake Christian Church in Seattle. He published it in 1995 in a collection of his writings titled Words Aptly Spoken.

I loved George Carlin's irreverent humor and insightful wit. This, however hardly sounds like him and indeed, after this piece was first attributed to him he reportedly called it "a sappy load of crap." (I don't know if he really said that or if it was merely "attributed" to him.)

It is sad to think that words like those of Dr. Moreland can receive attention only by attribution to someone like George Carlin.

BTW it has also ( incorrectly) been attributed to a survivor of the Columbine School Shooting, the Dalai Lama and others including, of course that most prolific writer of all time -- Anonymous.)

Thanks for posting it, Dan-- even if some will still consider it a sappy load of crap.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in