For you adventurous folk who just bought a machine with Win7. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 18th, 2012, 7:26 am Thread Starter

For you adventurous folk who just bought a machine with Win7.

Windows 8 for $14.99.

- Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 18th, 2012, 7:59 am

Re: For you adventurous folk who just bought a machine with Win7.

Hey Joe, what do you think of 8? I didn't like it unless it was on a touch screen, then it works for me. If using mouse only, might as well just use the win7. I do like those new all in one systems with the touch screen.

Yes, just rolling out of bead and heading to the gym.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 18th, 2012, 8:11 am Thread Starter

In my opinion, operating systems MUST start looking and acting more like how our mobile devices look and act. After all, it won't be long before our mobile device IS our desktop, right? Yes, Windows 8 comes with a learning curve. But there are some definite advantages to it. It helps to Google for tips and tricks to Win8, and to watch YouTube videos.

Two months ago, we bought 15 laptops with Win7. I'll be upgrading all of them to Win8. Let's see how these software developers like the new OS.

- Joe

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 18th, 2012, 8:27 am

I doubt the keyboard is going to disappear any time soon- brief tweets and the kind of abbreviated stuff touchpad users like don't get it done for more serious uses. The hybrid WIN8 system will hopefully show it can deliver the best of both types without the screwups of some earlier Windows stuff like Vista which is what convinced me to buy my first Mac
Touchscreens also have a rather annoyingly high failure rate. A couple I've had of various types simply quit working and needed screen replacements- have never had a keyboard fail- even one that got dunked only needed to be dried and was good to go again.

I dislike replacing electronic stuff for the kinds of minor improvements being made so find I am keeping pc's and phones longer than I used to.. Progress in mobile devices is still not all that impressive to me- more like a series of gadgets I can live without running silly little apps reminiscent of all the little freeware programs that were available for early pc's using floppie- who really needs an app to calculate a tip??. I'm retired now and don't need 24/7 contact with the office so I dumped my smart phone for the smallest thing I could put in a pocket and got rid of my landlines as well.
Works for me. Heck, I preferred my old Blackberry to the IPhone anyway and something 1/3 that size is better still. I carry a netbook on the bike for trips- it holds the shop manual, GS-911 software, etc...
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 18th, 2012, 8:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7
Heck, I preferred my old Blackberry to the IPhone anyway and something 1/3 that size is better still.
That statement alone tells a lot about where you fit in the Market. You do know that the Blackberry is a dead (ok, dying!) product ... right?

- Joe
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 18th, 2012, 9:33 am

I recently purchased a new HP Touch Screen, model HP 520-1047, to replace my very tired 10 year old PC. It came loaded with Windows 7 and the info to obtain the $14.99 Windows 8 upgrade. Although I wasn't too excited about learning an entirely new operating system I decided to give it a try. When I logged on for the download the program requested to run a compatibility test of my hardware and software which I allowed. The result was that it was determined that my touch screen was not fully compatible with Windows 8. That in itself didn't bother me too much as I would probably continue the use the keyboard for most functions. What did bother me however, and ultimately stopped me from installing the upgrade, was the determination that several of my old programs would not run with Windows 8. Things like my Office 2000 and an older version of AUTOCAD along with a couple of other minor programs. Since I'm retired and use my computer for keeping financial and vehicle records and of course for entertainment ( like reading Joe's Posts ) I'm not up for spending $100's for new software so I decided to live with Windows 7 which works just fine for me.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 18th, 2012, 10:08 am

Lynn,

The upgrade adviser is a bit over zealous. For example when I first tried the Win 8 beta it told me that Mapsource was not compatible. I just merely re-installed Mapsource from the DVD or CD that came with the GPS and all was well.

When I installed the final version it told me that Basecamp which I had installed since the beta as well as some of Microsoft's own Office 2010 parts were not compatible and may have problems. Once again a reinstall from the original media after installing Win 8 solved it all.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Last edited by blueknightga6; Dec 18th, 2012 at 2:49 pm.
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 18th, 2012, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
Lynn,

The upgrade adviser is a bit over zealous. For example when I first tried the Win 8 beta it told me that Mapsource was not compatible. I just merely re-installed Mapsource from the DVD or CD that came with the GPS and all was well.

When I installed the final version it told me that Basecamp which I had installed since the beta as well as some of Microsoft's own Office 2010 parts were not compatible and my have problems. Once again a reinstall from the original media after installing Win 8 solved it all.
+1. The adviser said that MS Front Page 2003 wouldn't work. The only issue was the FoxPro portion of dbase management; skipped that, ad it works fine.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 18th, 2012, 2:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Since I'm retired and use my computer for keeping financial and vehicle records and of course for entertainment ( like reading Joe's Posts ) ...
My posts are MUCH funnier in Windows 8.

- Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in