Aww Bollocks! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 19th, 2012, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Aww Bollocks!

Pop! Pop! Both front fork seals went and Iron Pig started to leak oil all over the brakes, not a good thing to do if you know what I mean.
So I took her in as this is the second time this year and was quoted 280 €, This morning I get a call from the garage informing me that the tubes are banjaxed and I need replacements all in all 750€
Bugger.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 8:53 am

Re: Aww Bollocks!

What could possibly be wrong with the fork tubes, unless you came abruptly to a stop, like a wall for instance? The tubes are just there for guidance, and the oil inside is just there for lubrication.
You should get a 2nd opinion as I think your dealer is taking you for a ride.
All you would need is 2 new seals, and there are threads on this forum detailing the work if you are a DIY.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 9:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you ran into something before the first seal replacement, you might have tweaked them slightly so they are wearing out prematurely. If not, suspect improper installation and unless they were ridden a considerable distance after the seals blew, there should be nothing wrong with the forks. I would recommend replacing the seals yourself. There are so many experts on this site who can guide you through the process. Good luck!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:10 am

$358.00 to replace the fork seals? Wow. This is a really simple job and there are detailed instructions here how to do it correctly. It may take a few of hours the first time but I'm sure worth $100.00 an hour...

I find it hard to believe the tubes are bent/tweaked - this may be a first. If they are scored from grit - which can happen easily especially if you ride in rain a lot - unfortunately you will need to replace them or the new seals will fail rapidly. Replace the wipers as well, they are important.

If you don't want to do this job again for years install some accordion boots over top, in this case you can omit the wipers:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...stalling+boots

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 14 Old Nov 21st, 2012, 3:55 am

Well that really sucks. In my book that's big bucks, which you'd probably rather spend on a trip. Hope you get Iron Pig up and running soon.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 21st, 2012, 4:27 am Thread Starter

Well this is the second time they went this year, last time was during the UK Trip in summer, since then I haven't done even 20.000K's, so something is clearly amiss. I took the bike to Renner http://www.motorradhaus-renner.de/ over the border in Germany. I have been there a few times and feel quite comfortable with the service, they seem to go maybe not the extra mile but a few hundred feet and the price/service ratio is ok.
The tubes themselves were scored and damaged to a point where a new set of seals would just blow out again in a short while, especially as winter is a coming and I ride in all weather.
Anyway the bill came to 600€ a hundred and fifty below estimate.
Now living in the tri-state area of Basel and with Switzerland not being in the EU-Zone means somethings work for the man, I do not pay the German valued added tax, means I upfront the tax, get the export papers, ride to the customs office at the border get the tubes imported into CH, ride back to Renner and since CH is not concerned with small fry amounts under 1000€, I pocket my 96.23€ and bubble back into Basel happy as Larry with my new tubes.

Or almost happy as Larry.
On the motorway back I gave a tad gas in fifth and felt the clutch slip, so the task for today is to see if I can adjust the damn thing and hope that there is still a bit of green on the clutch plate.

post #7 of 14 Old Nov 21st, 2012, 5:36 am Thread Starter

Just spent the last hour looking over the "slipping clutch" posts with a long face.
No adjustment to be had.
Aww Bollocks.

post #8 of 14 Old Nov 21st, 2012, 6:41 am Thread Starter

Nope, nada, niente, nix, just had a screw around, nothing to be done the clutch is on the way out, maybe a few more miles and then that's it.
A dead pig
I don't have a place where I can strip it down and no longer have the tools and sure as hell don't have the wherewithalls for a garage repair, I have the MOAB to pay by November 30th (Mother of all bills) and no job, I sit in front of my computer and listen to the mad landlady blow her ring on the toilet, groan and shuffle back to her clattering typewriter, damn them thin walls.
Outside the number 3 tram rumbles past heavily, with enough rumble to shake the glasses in the cupboard, every seven minutes one way and every seven minutes the other way
Winter is a coming and I am dreading not having a magic carpet to get my sorry ass out of here.
The search for a job is hitting the sound barrier of being over 50 and the outlook is very bleak, especially now in this economy.
The walls in my under the roof pokey hole are closing in, crushing and grinding.
Slowly 2012 is starting to turn nasty, cold and evil.

post #9 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 1:14 am

Garage

My friend, I am sorry to hear of your (continuing) troubles. It never rains but it pours. Hopefully 2013 will be brighter - at least that is what the politicians tell us!

I take it the leads that showed promise, all lead to the same hole!

Hopefully Iron Pig, will feel better sooner rather than later.

How much are you looking at for a new clutch?

Best regards
Adam

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 2:30 am Thread Starter

Well to have a new clutch installed would be more than the bike is worth and I don't have the infrastructure in place to do it myself.
However after wallowing in a bathtub of self-pity with misery foam I decided that trawling the web for sympathy ain't gonna get things done and as you know sympathy is a word in the dictionary, somewhere between Shit and Syphalis so I sucked up and tried again, seems that I managed to find a bit of green on the clutch plate and a trial run showed that it seems to be holding.
Next week little miss Cutesweet from the job center has me summoned so until then I have decided it is time for a road trip.
Stepmom was in the body shop and got a new knee, so now she is in Hohenschwangau for Convalescence, Hohenschwangau is where the mad king built his Chitty chitty bang bang castle, so it is out of the mad landlady's flat to the mad kings castle for a few days.
Catch ya all later.

post #11 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 6:33 am

Garage

Have a good trip and keep safe.

Hope the interview goes well, and hopefully we can catch up soon.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #12 of 14 Old Nov 24th, 2012, 10:23 am Thread Starter

I decided I wanted pizza tonight so I headed to Italy over Insbruck and the Brenner, Now I am in a hotel on Passo Tonale at 2000 meters, I got cáught in a snowstorm on the way up and it was getting dark, now I am thawing out with a glass of red, outside a few foot of snow is on the ground and it is freezing.
Brrr!

post #13 of 14 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 7:27 am

Out of the frying pan and into the fire! Looks like you're in the middle of another adventure. Which as you know can only be appreciated after the fact.

I had a small business fail a few years ago and as a result had to sell my 03 LT. That was a sad day. After about a year I came to my senses and sold my car to get another LT. It was pretty much an even swap. Then in my early exuberance I managed to burn out the clutch. So there I set for almost three months with no wheels waiting to gather the $1800 for repair. Drat and double drat. But with a great attitude like yours it will turn around.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 9:17 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Keep riding her! My first encounter with the 5th gear slip was in June and I kept riding until December when I tore her down. She was almost to the wear limit but had not exceeded it. It would only slip once per attempt could not get her to do it twice in a row. FWIW.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in