Windows 8 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

Windows 8

My main desk-top computer picked yesterday to crash.....thank goodness for external HDs, all pics, music, and personal files were all stored there, whew!

But the new 'puter I bought had 8 on it....I must say the jury is most definitely still out. Maybe after I get accustom it will be better, but right now it's difficult navigating..

Any one else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:16 am

Re: Windows 8

I have had a Windows Phone for 2 years now. And Windows 8 is what I have been waiting for. Windows 8 will Link all your Windows 8 compatible devices. The applications will be shared. Your desktop, laptop, all-in-one, tablet, phone and Xbox will all share the same apps. Going to be pretty neat.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 2:40 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I hear Windows 8 has a ton of new features, and they managed to keep a few old, familiar ones as well:

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 34 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 9:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkriner
I have had a Windows Phone for 2 years now. And Windows 8 is what I have been waiting for. Windows 8 will Link all your Windows 8 compatible devices. The applications will be shared. Your desktop, laptop, all-in-one, tablet, phone and Xbox will all share the same apps. Going to be pretty neat.
Sounds like what Apple has had....for years.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 34 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 9:57 am

I knew this would bring out unwarranted snide comments from the 8 percenter's.

Why don't you FanBoys leave the 92% of users have their conversations without unwarranted, unwanted comments?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 34 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 10:21 am

I'm waiting for the new tablet running windows 8 (not Windows RT). Thinking it should run my Garmin and photo software and would take up far less room on the bike than my current laptop. It's WIFI only but I can use my Droid phone as a hot spot so all should be good. Never understood this Apple Cult thing. I've worked with both apple and windows products over the years and cannot say that I prefer one over the other.
post #7 of 34 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 11:10 am

new windows 8

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	data_bsod.gif
Views:	381
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	36947  

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 34 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheels
I'm waiting for the new tablet running windows 8 (not Windows RT). Thinking it should run my Garmin and photo software and would take up far less room on the bike than my current laptop....
+!
This promises to be the killer device for traveling on the bike.

Right now, it's either a MacBook Air or a Windows Ultrabook. The Surface with Windows really looks interesting, as it promises the best of both worlds...tablet size and ease of use for casual things, plus Windows apps compatibility for doing work (like route planning).

I love my iPad, but it just won't do everything I need when I'm in the road. It might get to make the trip, but if it does it's in addition to my laptop, not instead of it.
post #9 of 34 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkriner
We've also got Windows Phones and yes, they are very similar. Even prior to Windows 8, when my wife got her Windows Phone it was her first phone, either regular or smart phone, that I never had to show her to use and that she found easy to use.

About the jury being out on Win 8, it sure is. We've had a beta since February and there was a bit of a learning curve, even with the experience of the phones beforehand. But we got used to it, I just haven't downloaded our updates for our desktop and laptop yet.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #10 of 34 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Kathy has been very frustrated with the Windows 8 learning curve.
It seems that a touch screen is really what would be needed on a computer to enjoy the "benefits" of the new OS.
Explorer keeps crashing, and you cannot view Facebook pictures using Explorer (the cure is running Mozilla or other browser).
Then again this is the Beta version...
The jury is still out for now,

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 5:17 am Thread Starter

Guess it all a matter of what you like...myself I want to drive and so far 8 seems to be in the driver's seat.

for example...when i opened a picture, the 'puter says it has an app that will do this and it opens a windows media app . just seems to be over kill.

ebay is another.

hopefully I can figure it out and move back into the driver's seat.

John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
Will Rogers
post #12 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 8:56 am

Here's what I found out about Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta) and it's included Internet Explorer. Don't use it. The default one was not showing pictures, would not play videos, etc. There were issues with it. I found that if you downloaded and used Internet Explorer 9 or 10, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox it fixed all that.

I hope they fixed all that in the release version though.

And yes it does seem more suited to a touch screen but there are mouse techniques for all of it.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #13 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 9:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I knew this would bring out unwarranted snide comments from the 8 percenter's.

Why don't you FanBoys leave the 92% of users have their conversations without unwarranted, unwanted comments?
My, aren't we just a little sensitive....

Sorry, after years of Windows frustration I sometimes just lose myself with my Apple product enjoyment.

Now, back to the 92%ers.

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #14 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
My, aren't we just a little sensitive....

Sorry, after years of Windows frustration I sometimes just lose myself with my Apple product enjoyment.

Now, back to the 92%ers.
Sorry, after years of seeing snide, non-helpful comments from Apple FanBoys, it gets very, very old. Some Apple users (the FanBoys) seem to have a strong "holier than thou" attitude, and unfortunately are not reluctant to laud it. Rarely see a constructive comment from one. If one has nothing constructive to say regarding the original posters question, then why enter into the conversation?

I have absolutely NOTHING against Apple products, could possibly own one myself in the future, given a REASON to incur the added expense.

There are MILLIONS of PC owners, including myself, who have only had minor annoyances over the years, never anything that would make me want to go through the expense and learning curve of changing. Part of it is that all the companies I have worked for over the decades used MS operating systems as their standard, NONE have used Apple, so you get heavy into learning and using that product, and learn nothing of the competition. Mainly I have been a CAD user, None of the major CAD companies have supported MACs. I have actually seen a couple MACs, never had the opportunity to actually touch one though.

I am NOT a MS fan, there are certainly things I have not liked over the years, but there is usually little reason for a competent, knowledgeable user to switch. The worst Windows I had was '95, but that was well over a decade ago. Win7 is quite good. I don't know of anything someone could show me on a MAC that would make it worth thinking about a switch.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #15 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Sorry, after years of seeing snide, non-helpful comments from Apple FanBoys, it gets very, very old.

[snip]

... Win7 is quite good. I don't know of anything someone could show me on a MAC that would make it worth thinking about a switch.
David has, as per usual, expressed perfectly the sentiments of sooo many Windows users (and professionals).
I have nothing to add ... well done Mr. Shealey.

- Joe
post #16 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 6:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Sorry, after years of seeing snide, non-helpful comments from Apple FanBoys, it gets very, very old. Some Apple users (the FanBoys) seem to have a strong "holier than thou" attitude, and unfortunately are not reluctant to laud it. Rarely see a constructive comment from one. If one has nothing constructive to say regarding the original posters question, then why enter into the conversation?

I have absolutely NOTHING against Apple products, could possibly own one myself in the future, given a REASON to incur the added expense.

There are MILLIONS of PC owners, including myself, who have only had minor annoyances over the years, never anything that would make me want to go through the expense and learning curve of changing. Part of it is that all the companies I have worked for over the decades used MS operating systems as their standard, NONE have used Apple, so you get heavy into learning and using that product, and learn nothing of the competition. Mainly I have been a CAD user, None of the major CAD companies have supported MACs. I have actually seen a couple MACs, never had the opportunity to actually touch one though.

I am NOT a MS fan, there are certainly things I have not liked over the years, but there is usually little reason for a competent, knowledgeable user to switch. The worst Windows I had was '95, but that was well over a decade ago. Win7 is quite good. I don't know of anything someone could show me on a MAC that would make it worth thinking about a switch.
On the positive side, I bought Microsoft stock a few months ago on the assumption Windows 8 will be a smash success.

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
post #17 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
on the assumption Windows 8 will be a smash success.
well so far it's a thumbs down here...the more I mess with it the less I likey.

John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
MOA #186960

Will Rogers
post #18 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti
well so far it's a thumbs down here...the more I mess with it the less I likey.
Sounds like what Apple has had....for years.

Relax it was just a Joke...

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #19 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Quote:

I actually have both! I use my PC for CAD, like you do. And, believe it or not, I'm still using XP! It has always been stable, and I figure why screw up a good thing! I also have a MacBook Pro, because I think it's more stable for professional video editing software - just my take. I do my diligence when deciding what to purchase, and don't really care whether it's an Apple or a PC. I like the iPad Mini, wish it was cheaper. I like the Lenova Yoga - very versatile. And, I do have an iPhone - love it!

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #20 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Rudy
I actually have both! I use my PC for CAD, like you do. And, believe it or not, I'm still using XP! It has always been stable, and I figure why screw up a good thing! ------------------------------------------------------!
I used XP at home reliably until just a few months ago, finally upgraded to Win 7. I Like it. We now have our desktop and a netbook on Win 7.

I was working for a Northrop Grumman subsidiary until about a month ago, and they are still on XP, with the 64 bit version on our engineering work stations. Northrop Grumman has started rolling out Win 7 upgrades, but the subsidiary I was working at was holding off because they still had a couple applications without an upgrade to Win 7. As soon as they get applications to replace them (PC Board layout, and ERP system), they will go to Win 7.

I will likely not upgrade to Win 8 at home for a LONG time, as all I read leads me to believe it is really not much for desktop use without a touch screen. Probably wait on Win 9, or whatever is next.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #21 of 34 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 11:08 pm

I'm still running XP and before that NT Workstation. But I've been thinking that it might be worthwhile getting a touch based machine running Windows 8. I'm so far behind the curve that I'll probably need to take a half day course just to get up to speed. I think CNET has recommended waiting until improved hardware arrives. Hopefully my 3yr old Dell PC will last.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #22 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 12:58 am

Garage

Hey it is fun to play with but very limited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d7q6m.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	36962  
post #23 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 3:52 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, David. We should let the users speak for themselves. After all, 4 million Win8 upgrades so far means that 0.33% of Windows users have taken the plunge, so we should be hearing from Real Users any day now . . .

But wait a minute, based on a few more comments in this thread it seems we are hearing from some of them already, and the new doesn't seem that good so far . . .

Now Ballmer says this is the OS for the Future, on all your Treasured Devices. Then again, this is the guy who laughed off the original iPhone 5 years ago, which single product is now worth more than all of Micro$oft . . .

Seriously, I hope that Win8 does everything it has been touted to do, as Micro$oft really needs bold, new ideas to push into the future. Especially as their entire company seems to be riding on it, or else they risk being completely obsoleted . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #24 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 5:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yeah, you're right, David. We should let the users speak for themselves. After all, 4 million Win8 upgrades so far means that 0.33% of Windows users have taken the plunge, so we should be hearing from Real Users any day now . . .

But wait a minute, based on a few more comments in this thread it seems we are hearing from some of them already, and the new doesn't seem that good so far . . .

Now Ballmer says this is the OS for the Future, on all your Treasured Devices. Then again, this is the guy who laughed off the original iPhone 5 years ago, which single product is now worth more than all of Micro$oft . . .

Seriously, I hope that Win8 does everything it has been touted to do, as Micro$oft really needs bold, new ideas to push into the future. Especially as their entire company seems to be riding on it, or else they risk being completely obsoleted . . .
I upgraded my laptop on the first day that Windows 8 was available. I had loaded a preview a few months ago on an old laptop and I was essentially paralyzed....pretty much couldn't do anything. The release version is much better.

I'm like most Windows users...my reaction was "why do I need this when Windows 7 is nice and very solid?". But as someone who makes my living developing software, if I start thinking about computers like an old man - resisting change - then I will quickly find myself without a job. Been there, done that already in the corporate world.

So having admitted that I'm using it not because I'm really keen for it but more as an exercise, my reaction to it is....it's OK. To be honest, as a user like me there's not a lot to it at this point.

It kind of reminds me of the very first Windows...before it was an OS, when it was just a little file browser that you started from the DOS command line. It wouldn't do much, but you could use your mouse like the Mac guys.

For me, it ends up just being a shell around the Windows that I'm used to. I just use the tiles to get to "Desktop" and then I am in a world that is almost indistinguishable from Windows 7. The difference being that there is no Start menu. I had to go to Google to figure out how to get to my Control Panels the first time (answer: open a File Explorer and climb up to the desktop folder and you'll find a shortcut for Control Panels).

The "killer app" for this Windows is not a single app, but all of the existing Windows apps that still run just fine. You get the cute toys like a tablet, but you can still do your work without switching physical machines.

I do think the not-yet-available Pro tablet will be an interesting machine, as it will give you the form factor and convenience factors from a tablet, but still run Windows apps. Like all of my work stuff, plus BaseCamp! Now maybe I can travel on the bike with just a tablet.

As to whether Microsoft can do enough with the pure tablet crowd, with "cool" apps that let you "update your social status" (I hate Facebook) and buy coffee without your wallet (I confess, I use Passbook every morning at Starbucks)...I have no idea. But given that this is the market that is dictating where the big guys are spending all of their development dollars, I am happy that Microsoft has chosen a route that builds on their existing installed base of users and apps, rather than splitting off a whole new world as Apple has done.

Try running BaseCamp on an iPad.
post #25 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 9:01 am

Quote:

Well, since you want "Real Users" to weigh in, I might-as-well throw in my two cents.

I work for a software company that is currently writing a few apps specifically for Windows 8. I have installed every released version of Win8 on several laptops and tablets, as well as virtual PCs. At first, it seemed a bit confusing ... perhaps even cumbersome. But once you understand where they are going with their new OS, and how it relates to smartphones and tablets, you begin to actually realize that it is forward-thinking and intuitive. (Apple is sure to follow suit with their next OS.)

Humans hate learning curves. And Windows 8 definitely comes with one. So we are going to hear some belly-aching over it. But that will go away, as people learn the newer and more efficient way to maneuver their new OS.

It is ironic that you chose to use the '$' sign in Microsoft's name. When it is Apple that over-charges for every piece of hardware that they sell. Usually to the tune of 300-600% what everyone else is selling their products for. Reminds me of another company.

It's is also ironic that you chose to use the words "completely obsoleted". I feel that way more and more when I see how much of Apple's market share keeps slipping away. Whether it's desktops, laptops, tablets, or smartphones. Between Microsoft and Android ... Apple is scared. And rightfully so.

- Joe
post #26 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
I had to go to Google to figure out how to get to my Control Panels the first time (answer: open a File Explorer and climb up to the desktop folder and you'll find a shortcut for Control Panels).
Rather than that approach to getting to the Control panel ... or ANY app or software, try this. When you're just sitting at your Metro desktop, just type "control" on the keyboard. No Start button needed. At the Metro desktop, your keyboard becomes a very powerful tool ... instead of needing a mouse. Which is right up my alley!

HTH

- Joe
post #27 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 9:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Rudy
I actually have both! I use my PC for CAD, like you do. And, believe it or not, I'm still using XP! It has always been stable, and I figure why screw up a good thing! I also have a MacBook Pro, because I think it's more stable for professional video editing software - just my take. I do my diligence when deciding what to purchase, and don't really care whether it's an Apple or a PC. I like the iPad Mini, wish it was cheaper. I like the Lenova Yoga - very versatile. And, I do have an iPhone - love it!
I, too, used Windows for years in my professional environment. However, I use Pro Tools as a personal recording engineering software and have found that Mac OS is a much more stable environment for that application.

I've always felt Microsoft products are amazingly engineered, but fail to consider the average user is not an engineer. That is coupled with non-proprietory hardware which can result in some frustrating user issues. Hopefully, Windows 8 will be able to address this and become a more stable operational environment.

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
post #28 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Rather than that approach to getting to the Control panel ... or ANY app or software, try this. When you're just sitting at your Metro desktop, just type "control" on the keyboard. No Start button needed. At the Metro desktop, your keyboard becomes a very powerful tool ... instead of needing a mouse. Which is right up my alley!

HTH
Thanks for the tip. I'm just starting to climb the hill. I've decided that I'm going to dedicate about 10 minutes of my coffee time every morning just learning about Windows 8. I'll try this tomorrow!

Quote:
At the Metro desktop
Sorry, but you're not allowed to say that any more:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7...news&tag=title
post #29 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Sorry, but you're not allowed to say that any more:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7...news&tag=title
Unless I missed the memo, the new desktop is still called "Metro".

- Joe
post #30 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 2:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Apple isn't (and never was) about pure market share. They're after profit, by selling desirable, well-engineered products, just as they should be doing. Which is why they're sitting on more money than the US Treasury, some $120 billion at last count.

And "overpriced" is relative. If folks are lining up to buy your stuff, it isn't "overpriced." Besides, no one else can compete in the tablet space with similar specs and a fully-developed ecosystem for the same price. Nexus and Kindles don't count, as they're clearly selling them at a loss in order to gain market share. But what good is pure market share without any profit? Amazon's $13.8 billion in income sounds great, until you realize that they lost $274 million last quarter . . .

As for Google, they won't say how many tablets or smartphones they've shipped, but it is quite clear that Android is a huge profit loss for them as well. How long is that sustainable?

Samsung is the only Android vendor that seems to be making some profit and gaining market share, but we'll leave all the blatant-copying out of it for now . . .

If Apple was "scared", they'd be selling an 8 Gb iPad mini for $199-$249. But they aren't, so they're selling it at the price and specs that they want, and they're still selling every single unit that they can produce.

I do think that Microsoft is now moving in the right direction. At least they finally realize that the PC world is changing (or has already changed), and they're finally scrambling to catch up. And Win8 is a pretty decent first shot at getting there, if they can make it all work as smoothly and seamlessly as it needs to. They still have a long ways to go, but at least they're trying. But it remains to be seen how successful they can be on pure user-base momentum alone.

As for the Micro$oft, it was clearly a joke, since the iPhone alone is now worth more than their entire company. I wonder if Steve ever thanked Bill for that $150 million loan from a few years back . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #31 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 2:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Try running BaseCamp on an iPad.
BaseCamp, no (or at least not yet), but there are several very good GPS and routing programs for the iPad, including Garmin USA, Navigon, MapQuest, etc., all of which can be run on one device. The days of dedicated GPS units may be slowly ending . . .

As for supporting legacy software, that's something that Microsoft has to do so as to not alienate their billions of existing users. Let's just hope that it doesn't bog them down too much going forward . . .

And the observant user will notice that iOS and OS X have been getting closer and closer for several years now, and will continue to do so. Some actions and programs just work better on a full-size screen and keyboard, and some work better on a smaller touch screen. The trick is to make the entire experience work seamlessly together, so that the user is dealing with content and getting things done, rather than thinking about how they need to do something . . .

Whatever happens it'll be an interesting few years as all this continues to shake out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #32 of 34 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 6:48 pm

Quote:
BaseCamp, no (or at least not yet), but there are several very good GPS and routing programs for the iPad, including Garmin USA, Navigon, MapQuest, etc., all of which can be run on one device. The days of dedicated GPS units may be slowly ending . . .

As for supporting legacy software, that's something that Microsoft has to do so as to not alienate their billions of existing users. Let's just hope that it doesn't bog them down too much going forward . . .

And the observant user will notice that iOS and OS X have been getting closer and closer for several years now, and will continue to do so. Some actions and programs just work better on a full-size screen and keyboard, and some work better on a smaller touch screen. The trick is to make the entire experience work seamlessly together, so that the user is dealing with content and getting things done, rather than thinking about how they need to do something . . .

Whatever happens it'll be an interesting few years as all this continues to shake out.
No doubt the days of the $100 Garmin that you buy in Walmart are dwindling. I have three apps on my iPhone that are as good or better for casual "how do I get to xx" use, and I don't have to mess with another device.

However, as you know better than I, things like weatherproofing, battery life, heat dissipation, screen size, operation with gloves, and most of all custom routing are still major issues for us with the phone/tablet apps (screen size on the tablet not a problem of course, unless it's so big it blocks the view of your instrument panel).

It would be nice to see folks like MotionX, founded by Philippe Kahn, raise the bar for higher-end GPS apps to cause Garmin to either up their game or get supplanted by someone else. Their GPS Drive app is the best I have used, and I also like their GPS app for hiking. These are great examples of the new wave of GPS apps that you speak of; but again, they are limited by some of the practical considerations that we have to deal with on our bike travels.

I think Garmin shows some signs of responding with products like their Montana. But I'd like to see custom routing apps get some state-of-the-art treatment from folks like MotionX.

No doubt there is some convergence in software paradigms. But the lack of a general purpose file system on iOS is a huge workflow pita for lots of things that I have to deal with in my daily life. I've seen - and experienced first-hand as a developer and manager - many software "revolutions" where a new platform with a new API came along and forced developers to split their efforts between the existing platform and the new one. It's hard to ever get the new product to catch up with the features on the old one, and there's always your existing installed base to appease. Apple just went through that with lots of pain with Final Cut Pro. It can be done, but it's painful and takes a long time. If you can find a way to do it and still have all of your installed base continue to work, it sure makes things a lot easier. Of course, if you don't do it right, you risk compromising your new architecture to the point that it fails. I hope Microsoft can pull it off.

Reminds me of the old software joke about the engineer who went to his boss with the schedule for the new release of the software product. The boss says to the engineer, "You can't be serious...it's going to take that long? Why? After all, it only took God 6 days to create the world!" To which the engineer replied, "Yes, but He didn't have an installed base to contend with."
post #33 of 34 Old Nov 15th, 2012, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Well, after having used 8 for about a month now, it's growing on me, just took a while to find out where things are stashed.Still don't think I like the App part but even that has grown on me.

John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
MOA #186960

Will Rogers
post #34 of 34 Old Nov 15th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in