Car Tire On Bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Car Tire On Bike?

This is something I would not consider doing, however it appears many have. I get questions every week regarding this practice, but cannot share any concrete evidence .
There are lots of arguments/infor on the forums. The problem is that everything has a nebulous base. One set are people who have put car tires on their bikes and point to the fact that they haven't crashed, yet. This does not verify the safety of the practice. I know a lot of unskilled riders who haven't crashed, but that does not make them safe riders.
The other set are people like myself that have not done this so we cannot really offer opinion without evidence to back it up.

So , has anyone out there come across any studies, tests or research on the issue? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 7:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Car Tire On Bike?

It's called the dark side...do a google search and you will find lots of posts.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
It's called the dark side...do a google search and you will find lots of posts.
John, Yes very familiar with the terminology and the thousands of posts. I'm looking for is something more tangible.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 8:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I can't imagine you'll ever find any valid evidence either way. Under normal riding conditions a car tire isn't going to make you crash your motorcycle. Under emergency braking, competition racing, or just running the twisties hard it just might have that outcome. But how could that ever be measured? It would probably take some multi-million dollar machine to measure that potential looking at coefficient of friction, lateral load capacity, etc. etc. Then you take the lab results and try to verify them with real riders..... Good luck. The one thing I know for certain is that the dark-siders do so to get phenomenal mileage out of their rear tires. This only makes sense, as the load capacity on most car tires is at least twice that of an average motorcycle tire. Therefore less scrub and greater mileage. Does this affect handling in some way? Almost certainly. Would the average rider ever feel it? I don't know the answer to that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 9:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have seen what happens when you run a "B" rated Metz880 on the rear of an LT though and given the choice I would take a "C" rated car tire any day over any under-rated motorcycle tire for the application.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 2:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

If you truly believe that only motorcycle tires should be run on motorcycles, then you are absolutely correct and there's nothing else to discuss.

In the mean time, there are thousands of riders successfully running darkside, on a variety of bikes, in a variety of riding conditions and skill levels for millions of miles.

That's the best you're gonna get for any sort of long term studies or research on the subject. There simply isn't any real incentive, and lots of disincentive for any company to run any sort of official study.

And if you believe that it's dangerous and stupid and can only lead to mayhem and destruction, remember that most folks feel just that way about motorcycles in general . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
If you truly believe that only motorcycle tires should be run on motorcycles, then you are absolutely correct and there's nothing else to discuss.

In the mean time, there are thousands of riders successfully running darkside, on a variety of bikes, in a variety of riding conditions and skill levels for millions of miles.

That's the best you're gonna get for any sort of long term studies or research on the subject. There simply isn't any real incentive, and lots of disincentive for any company to run any sort of official study.

And if you believe that it's dangerous and stupid and can only lead to mayhem and destruction, remember that most folks feel just that way about motorcycles in general . . .
Meese,

Thanks, my bias is against the practice although I've never actually tried it , so I disconnect myself from arguing the issue. My need for information on the subject is directly connected with my responsibility to the rider training community and the students we serve.
Monthly, I have exposure to 40 to 60 riders of all persuasions, ability levels and approaches to motorcycling. I want to be as educated as possible on the issue, especially if the student shows up for a track day with car tires on their bike.
You are spot on though in your assessment regarding incentive.
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 4:57 pm

MCN had a good article on this a couple months ago, had some input from insurance companies that wouldn't cover an accident in that case, and some scientific-type discussion of why it's not a wise idea. However, I know there are lots of people who do it and haven't crashed in a fireball...

Personally, I wouldn't consider it. I also only run motorcycle oil, check my tire pressure weekly, always wear a helmet and protective clothing.

pop me some popcorn, this will be an interesting thread

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
MCN had a good article on this a couple months ago, had some input from insurance companies that wouldn't cover an accident in that case, and some scientific-type discussion of why it's not a wise idea. However, I know there are lots of people who do it and haven't crashed in a fireball...

Personally, I wouldn't consider it. I also only run motorcycle oil, check my tire pressure weekly, always wear a helmet and protective clothing.

pop me some popcorn, this will be an interesting thread
Pete,

Thanks for the input. I get MCN an have that resource. Here is a link to it if anyone eles is interested/\.

http://www.motorcyclejustice.com/law...14may2011.html
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

I know of at least one long distance rider who put a car tire on his K1600. It kind of makes sense, if most miles are on freeways, to take advantage of the harder compound; it sure beats replacing a rear every 10k miles or less. I am curious to hear about the handling on the twisties; I would think it must feel "different".

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 12:53 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Different motorcycle tires feel different. Different compounds, profiles, belts & sidewall construction, etc., all play a part in how a tire feels. As well as rider perception, experience, riding style, and expectations.

Hell, even worn, flat-spotted tires feel noticeably different than when new and round.

I hated ME880 Bias tires on my LT. They got good mileage, but they made the bike steer heavy and feel sluggish in corners. And they slipped badly on tar snakes, or wet roads. Other LT riders love those tires. Good for them, if they're happy with it.

So each rider has to make up their own mind as to what works best for them on their bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2012, 6:16 pm

I had a car tire on my VStrom 1000. The ride was very smooth but had very little input from the rear tire, only front tire input. On long cross country rides it was great with little tire worries. I have an aux 4 gallon tank on the back so stops can be minimal. I rode for a week in NC just playing with the curves and was pleased with the traction issues, not as good as a car tire, but OK, even two up. I just changed back to a bike tire as on some rides I end up on dirt roads and a car tire is too unstable. I kept the car tire for when I do anything long distance with time restrictions on just asphalt.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in