Exploding Disc Rotor??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

Exploding Disc Rotor???

Got into it with the local Mercedes dealer about Honey Bunny's car.

They tell her that the rotors need to be replaced and if they aren't they could explode.

So I talk to the service guy and ask him what are the measurements on the rotors and how far out of spec are they? First he says he doesn't know. So I say - you're telling me you want me to change out all the rotors but you can't tell me what condition they're in? He asks me to hold for a minute then he comes back and tell me the front rotors are out of spec my .1mm & .2mm, the rear are out by .6mm and .4mm. So I tell him to skip the brake work for now.

I've never, ever heard of a disc rotor exploding. Can anyone give me some feedback on this?

Thanks.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Re: Exploding Disc Rotor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Got into it with the local Mercedes dealer about Honey Bunny's car.

They tell her that the rotors need to be replaced and if they aren't they could explode.

So I talk to the service guy and ask him what are the measurements on the rotors and how far out of spec are they? First he says he doesn't know. So I say - you're telling me you want me to change out all the rotors but you can't tell me what condition they're in? He asks me to hold for a minute then he comes back and tell me the front rotors are out of spec my .1mm & .2mm, the rear are out by .6mm and .4mm. So I tell him to skip the brake work for now.

I've never, ever heard of a disc rotor exploding. Can anyone give me some feedback on this?

Thanks.

Greg
Hey, Greg - folks on Google already grabbed your post and it's the first thing I came to when I searched for Merc exploding disc rotors. Haven't found anyone to agree with your dealership's svc manager. Good luck.
post #3 of 20 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 2:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Pretty sure he was planning to explode your wallet.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 20 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Garage

Just stay off the autobahn and you'll be OK

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #5 of 20 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 4:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've always thought the danger with thin rotors was that the pistons in the calipers could exceed their limits and get past the seals, allowing a pressure failure. However I suppose it's possible that too thin a rotor could cause it to fracture under high stress such as an ABS assisted stop. Never seen either one occur though, and I've been working on cars, trucks, and motorcycles a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Happens all the time.......on NASCAR, when a car hits the wall at 180 mph.
Is your wife a Lead Foot?

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #7 of 20 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 6:21 pm

I have seen a rotor worn thru on a rally car, but not exploded.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #8 of 20 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 11:58 pm Thread Starter

Just what I thought - total dealer bs. There are other highly rated German repair shops nearby. So that's where I'll be going from now on.

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #9 of 20 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 6:53 am

Find yourself a good indie. I have a 2006 e320 diesel in which I had the rotors replaced at 72k miles. This was when the second set of brake pads needed changing. The rotors were starting to get deep grooves in them. I changed the with the Balo rotors and Akebono pads (no brake dust with these). Below are a couple of Mercedes forums which you will find plenty of information:

http://mbworld.org/forums/

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 20 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 9:53 am

I have never heard of an exploding rotor either. My sister in law had a Ford Focus and my brother in law claimed the caliper bolts were stripped out so he couldn't change the brake pads. I told them I would look at it for them. By the time they got the car to me the brake pads were way past being metal to metal. This car had vented rotors and the metal backing plate that usually has the brake pad attached to it, had been grinding the rotor apart. The rotor was so bad that half of the rotor was gone. It was grinding into the vents of the rotor. It was blue from the heat. Nice huh. Some people just don't care about their safety. It turned out that the caliper bolts were not stripped out after all. They just happened to be an odd ball size. I needed a 7mm hex key wrench to remove the bolts. Most hex key sets do not have this size. Luckily I had one. I put new rotors and pads on and all was good.
I think if a rotor was ever going to explode, that one could have.

John

2006 BMW K1200 LT
2011 Polaris 850XP Touring
Butler, Pa
post #11 of 20 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 10:41 am

That's a new one on me...I suppose the $11,000 carbon/ceramic ones might be able to explode if you were to run them at 10/10ths on the track for two hours and then spray them with icewater...

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #12 of 20 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 10:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
That's a new one on me...I suppose the $11,000 carbon/ceramic ones might be able to explode if you were to run them at 10/10ths on the track for two hours and then spray them with icewater...
Or do this!!
post #13 of 20 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:34 pm

That might be a wee bit too much "bedding in".

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 20 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 3:36 pm

How bout a nice letter to MBUSA and CC the owner and GM of the dealership. I threw one together for you just because I'm bored and I HATE when service reps try to scare people.

Dear Mercedes-Benz,

Today I was in [dealer name here] for service on my car. I cannot express the fear I felt when the service rep, [service rep name here], told me that my brake rotors could explode if I did not replace them! I have always thought that Mercedes-Benz was a highly engineered car, but I'm very shaken by what I was told. I don't understand how brakes work, but it seems obvious to me that if my brake rotors exploded, my wife (it's her car) could be seriously injured or killed. As you might imagine, I take this issue very seriously.

I have to assume that [service rep name here] had gotten his information about my potentially exploding brake rotors from a Mercedes-Benz trained and certified mechanic. If what [service rep's name here] told me is true then I will not be in the market for another Mercedes-Benz in the future as my wife's safety is worth much more to me than any car. If what [service rep's name here] told me is not true, then I expect that Mercedes-Benz dealer management should know that seriously irresponsible information and scare-tactics are used at [dealership's name here] and [dealership's name here] is representing Mercedez-Benz products in a highly unfavorable and suspicious light.

I look forward to a response containing a description of the action that you plan to take to resolve this upsetting matter.

Thank you

[your name here]

Last edited by cwarren; Oct 19th, 2012 at 3:39 pm. Reason: Changed greater-than's to brackets
post #15 of 20 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 5:55 am

That is just plain BS. They rarely ever develop harmless hairline cracks, but explode?? He either is really stupid, or thinks you are...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #16 of 20 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 7:18 am

I'll bet he also told your wife that her muffler bearings need changing and that the red brake light fluid was dangerously low!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #17 of 20 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 7:22 am

Greg - I would be in favor of communicating with the dealer Principal in your situation. If the dealership is RBM North, contact Casey Farmer (she is the daughter of John Ellis, who also has the Sandy Springs shop). She needs to know.
post #18 of 20 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 8:23 pm

I've seen drums explode but discs, never.

B D R
post #19 of 20 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:56 pm Thread Starter

Dick, pm me the contact info and I will definitely let her know.

It's too late to save me as a customer but the owner should be told what's going on.

Frankly I'm very disappointed in the amount of maintenance this 05 E320 has required. Bought this thing new and since then I've had to replace the passenger seat, transmission mounts, engine mounts, rear view mirror, driver door handle, driver window motor, keyless door lock button and a whole host of other stuff I can't even remember right now. Fortunately GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance was there to take the edge off the fracking, but just the sheer number of component failures was unexpected.

Warren, thanks for the letter. Got a nice laugh on that.

Greg

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #20 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 7:56 pm

WOW it must be getting pretty bad if a merc dealer has to resort to (insert national muffler shop chain here) tactics to pad their bottom line. Just call it what it is; fraud. On a side note I have seen the rear disc of a lincoln continental worn down to the thickness of a playing card and remain (somewhat) functional as well as a dodge caravan whose owner (and I'm not going to mention her sex) drove it through the friction pad, through the backing plate, through the caliper pistons until it wore the vented disc through and broke the caliper off the mounting bracket. Vehicle was brought in because " the wheel wobbles". To think we ride motorcycles on the same streets as these people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in