Garmin Software Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Garmin Software Problem

I finally replaced my 10 year old PC with a nice new one and have spent the last three days reloading software and transferring files. All was well until I tried to reload GARMIN MapSource. I found that I can't install my current 2011 map data on the new computer because GARMIN tells me that the 2011 data is no longer supported and has been removed from their server and is therefore no longer available for download. What this means to me is that, because I own and use two SP 2820's, I now have to spend somewhere around $100 for a one time update or $150 for a "LIFETIME" update in order to install and use MapSource on my new computer. I guess $150 is not too bad for the LIFETIME update but what worries me is that it's my understanding that GARMIN's definition of LIFETIME is for as long as they feel like supporting a specific product. There's no way of knowing when GARMIN will decide that they no longer want to support the 2820's and no longer off the updates.
What bothers me is that I own other software programs that are 10+ years old and they still load up and run just fine. I understand that GARMIN is in business to make money but selling software that self destructs after 12 months sucks!

Anyway, I've made several unsuccessful attempts to copy/transfer the software and am aware that there are some commercial programs that claim to be able to perform that function. The reviews on that software however suggest that they may or may not work 100%. So the question is, does anyone know of a technique to transfer Mapsource between computers?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 9:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Garmin Software Problem

I believe that Garmin has, or is in the process of obsoleting Mapsource! It is replaced with Basecamp. The program can be downloaded from Garmin.

If you have your original map data on a CD, or something like that, you can use Garmin's MapInstall (also available for DLing at their site) to install your map into either Basecamp or Mapsource. BTW, I haven't checked this, but I believe that you can have Mapsource read the map data from your device directly. I think that it is also true with Basecamp, but again, I haven't checked it again. I just thought I saw the option in the menu, in passing.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 9:58 am

As PadG says.

Install Mapsource then connect the device and download the latest map from it. Or go Basecamp and it seems to happen automatically along with routes, tracks, etc.

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG
I believe that Garmin has, or is in the process of obsoleting Mapsource! It is replaced with Basecamp. The program can be downloaded from Garmin.

If you have your original map data on a CD, or something like that, you can use Garmin's MapInstall (also available for DLing at their site) to install your map into either Basecamp or Mapsource. BTW, I haven't checked this, but I believe that you can have Mapsource read the map data from your device directly. I think that it is also true with Basecamp, but again, I haven't checked it again. I just thought I saw the option in the menu, in passing.
I sent a customer service inquiry to Garmin about just that. They confirmed that they will be phasing out MapSource in favor of Basecamp which is a free download.

When I downloaded and began using Basecamp, it SEEMED (but I'm not 100% sure) to get it's map data from the GPS as there was no 3 hour download and install like I had to do to sync my GPS and Mapsource after a reinstall myself.

Check with Garmin customer support by email, it only took them just over a day to answer my question about Basecamp.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 7:02 pm

Yes, Basecamp uses the maps on your device.
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 8:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had checked both programs (have both installed), and they both are quite capable of importing maps from your device.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 9:18 pm

Will Basecamp work with my 2610 using gdb or gpx files?
Thanks!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #8 of 17 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 11:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Will Basecamp work with my 2610 using gdb or gpx files?
Thanks!
BC will import either format.

BC uses a data base for all of its data, not individual files as MapSource does. This is one of BC's nicest features, but also one of its most frustrating for newcomers until they've grokked the difference.

BC will use the maps from your device, but it will not import them and save them to your PC. You will have to have the device plugged in to use them. Some devices are slower than others, and your performance may suffer if you're using the device's maps. But give it a try; you may be fine.

If you dive into BC, here is some info that may help you get started:
Learning BaseCamp
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 4:00 am

JimE,

I was surprised to see you say that Basecamp didn't save the maps because that wasn't my experience. So I just checked mine and indeed they're there safe and sound. And not only the latest 2013.2 but my previous maps back to 2010.
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 5:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
JimE,

I was surprised to see you say that Basecamp didn't save the maps because that wasn't my experience. So I just checked mine and indeed they're there safe and sound. And not only the latest 2013.2 but my previous maps back to 2010.
BC cannot copy a map from your attached device and save it to your computer:

BaseCamp can certainly work with maps installed on your computer; this is the preferred mode as pointed out in the previous post. But those maps must be installed to your computer using WebUpdater or the Lifetime Updater.

If you have Lifetime Maps, what process do you use to update them (WebUpdate or Lifetime Updater)? I believe that that is how your maps got installed to your PC.

If you have purchased Lifetime Maps or are still in the free update period for your newly purchased device, you can install new maps to your computer using WebUpdater via myGarmin.com (the preferred route) or the Garmin Lifetime Updater program (traditionally somewhat buggy and avoided by many longtime Garmin users).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCInstallMaps.PNG
Views:	213
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	36685  
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 5:50 am

JimE

I did my last successful update on my Macbook, then connected the Nav lll to my pc just to double check that everything was the same in that. When I connected I saw routes, waypoints, tracks, etc. transfer across to the pc. I have to confess that I didn't actually see confirmation that the map transferred and assumed that it had at the same time and that I just wasn't looking as it happened. I have to further confess that I had trouble updating previously (see other topic) and during that war with technology I was using both the Mac and the pc. Maybe you're right and the map got onto the pc then even though it didn't make it onto the Nav lll correctly. I'll watch carefully during the next upgrade which shouldn't be too long. I'll do it on the Mac and then connect to the pc as an experiment.
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
JimE

I did my last successful update on my Macbook, then connected the Nav lll to my pc just to double check that everything was the same in that. When I connected I saw routes, waypoints, tracks, etc. transfer across to the pc. I have to confess that I didn't actually see confirmation that the map transferred and assumed that it had at the same time and that I just wasn't looking as it happened. I have to further confess that I had trouble updating previously (see other topic) and during that war with technology I was using both the Mac and the pc. Maybe you're right and the map got onto the pc then even though it didn't make it onto the Nav lll correctly. I'll watch carefully during the next upgrade which shouldn't be too long. I'll do it on the Mac and then connect to the pc as an experiment.
I like to go to myGarmin and use the Web Updater from there (it's a program that installs on your computer, but by going through myGarmin it will make sure you have the latest version...and it changes a lot).

When the Web Updater lets you start the upgrade, there's an "Option" button down to the left...that's what you need to click to get the choice of where to install the map ("device only", "device and computer", "computer only"). If you do your initial update on the Mac and choose "device and computer", then you'll need to go to your PC, plug in your device (so it recognizes your Lifetime Maps) and then choose the "computer only" option so you don't reload to your device.

This is one of those things that you (at least I) do just often enough to vaguely remember doing it...and Garmin's maze of terminology (Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Updater, Web Updater, Map Install, MapSource, BaseCamp) can leave you thoroughly confused about what finally made it work and just glad you made it through another update without destroying anything.
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
This is one of those things that you (at least I) do just often enough to vaguely remember doing it...and Garmin's maze of terminology (Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Updater, Web Updater, Map Install, MapSource, BaseCamp) can leave you thoroughly confused about what finally made it work and just glad you made it through another update without destroying anything.
Amen to that!
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Re: Garmin Software Problem-UPDATE

Here's an update on my problem. After several email exchanges with GARMIN, all of which told me that my 2011 maps were too old and could no longer be installed on my new PC, I made one last desperate attempt and called and talked directly to Software Support in person. After about a 10 minute conversation during which I explained my problem the young man ask if he could have remote access to my PC and I agreed. He spent a few minutes verifying that I really owned the map data base and the SP2820 and then within a few more minutes he started a 2011 data down load directly to my PC. The down load took several hours to complete but resulted in fully functional MapSource as well as the new Base Camp software complete with 2011 North American detailed map data. So, I guess they were just trying to get me to purchase new maps rather than solve my original issue. Bottom line is however that all is well and I'm, temporarily at least, a Happy Camper!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #15 of 17 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Glad it worked out. Sounds like lazy CSRs didn't really want to deal with the issue.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #16 of 17 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Next time, offer the Garmin guy some Pizza Perfect pizza.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #17 of 17 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 1:22 am

This site may give you some help

www.gpsfiledepot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in