Perplexed - what would you do? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:14 am Thread Starter

Perplexed - what would you do?

I sold a vintage, pristine 1972 Honda to a buyer in Illinois. Our communications were excellent. All in all a great transaction and I got paid immediately. He said he would have it picked up "soon". Fine, no problemo, money was in the bank!

That was at the end of March.

I have sent him multiple messages over the last several months to the two E-mail addresses I have for him asking him pick it up - it is ready to go and everything he bargained for, I've already notarized the title for sale and it is physically attached to the the bike as an "open" title. I have heard nothing. I think he is still alive as he is CEO of a VERY well know corporation (have the physical address) and obviously a high net worth individual. Mebbe he's got bigger fish to fry?

The only thing I can think of is to send him a certified letter with a photocopy of the open title and dated bill of sale asking him to arrange for shipping or I will consider it abandoned. Maybe that will get his attention. We're not talking about a small amount of money here: $4K

I'm not real happy storing it for free for so long, but since he paid a premium price I don't really have a problem with it. He seems like a great guy. BUT - it needs to go!

Weird deal, huh?

What would you do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:49 am

Re: Perplexed - what would you do?

As you stated he probably got sidetracked with other things.
Send a registered letter (request signed return receipt) asking for reply about shipping arrangements and date you can expect bike to be picked up?

Does bike run?
Sounds like a road trip adventure and park it in his Board Room.

Must have sold it too cheap?
4K probably pocket change of this individual?
How much you gonna ask $$$ next time you sell it? Ha!.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 1:28 am

Yes, sounds like a road trip adventure... Propose to ride the bike to Illinois, all expenses payed, business class return ticket included.

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
'06 BMW K1200LT (2011- ...)
'85 BMW R80GS (1989-2010)
'85 Yamaha XT 600 (1986-1987)

post #4 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 4:24 am
Enjoy The Ride

Indoor storage fee of $35 per day. After 30 days it's yours to sell again.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Indoor storage fee of $35 per day. After 30 days it's yours to sell again.
I'd send that via registered mail, receipt required. Perhaps you could find out what the shipping charges would be and if he sends a check for that amount, just ship it to him.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #6 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 9:25 am

Well, He's already exceeded the amount of time any reasonable person would expect to wait to have it picked up... He's obviously forgotten he's even bought it...A lot can happen in 6 months...

I'd just see what the law provides in such a case and go ahead and sell the bike again...

Especially if you've had NO communication from him since the purchase...

You can't be expected to hold it for him forever...

I'm sure you know a lawyer or two who you can run this by...

If not.. I'm sure my wife's firm can render an opinion..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 9:40 am

Send the registered letter with a statement about timelines.

Starting on Jan 1, the storage fees will be $100 (or some price worth your while) per month. If the storage fees are not paid within 30 days, the property will be considered abandoned and will be offered for sale. In any case, after 12 months, the motorcycle will offered for sale.

If he doesn't pay storage fees, small claims court could be your friend.

However, I'd guess you'd never get to this point.

Dave
Not a lawyer and never played one on TV.
post #8 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 9:43 am

So, Here's the "legal" opinion....This didn't come from me...

Quote:

Do your best to communicate with the Buyer to find out what’s going on. Have you
signed and delivered the title to the Buyer? If you have, it’s clearly his/her
bike. If you don’t hear anything back, tell them that you are going to start
charging them a fee for every day you have to store it.

Don't know what you can do with that.. But since he's a "corporate" type, I'd treat him like any corporation would treat you...Unmercifully....It's obvious nice didn't work...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 9:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Send him an invoice for storage. He get's 60 days free (given he paid you premium price), but start the clock in May. Base the storage charge on what it would cost locally to put the bike in a heated, premium storage unit and just keep invoicing him every month. This gives you some documentation for further actions and officially starts the clock.

Maybe he has MAD (Motorcycle Acquisition Disease...we all understand) and can't come clean with the SO...

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 9:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

I would get legal counsel. Last thing you want is someone with deep pockets coming after you for reselling an asset if they can argue you didn't exercise reasonable effort to accommodate pick up. What may seem reasonable to us, may not be all the law requires. Cross your t's and dot your i's. Make sure you have followed the letter & spirit of the law. ...then resell the bike. good luck.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #11 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
I would get legal counsel. Last thing you want is someone with deep pockets coming after you for reselling an asset if they can argue you didn't exercise reasonable effort to accommodate pick up. What may seem reasonable to us, may not be all the law requires. Cross your t's and dot your i's. Make sure you have followed the letter & spirit of the law. ...then resell the bike. good luck.
All above responses seem reasonable, but I like BB's most. YMMV.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:52 am

Just a guess but...
I'll be in Peoria weekend after next...you want me to stop by his house and give him the WTF?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #13 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:54 am

Or return his money and start all over again.........it should not matter whether he is wealthy or not for you to do what is most appropriate. It is still your bike, in your possession, there is no written contact, though there may be a verbal one. It seems like the easy thing to just take his money. But it is just as easy to send the money back. Just my two cents.
post #14 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem
Or return his money and start all over again.........it should not matter whether he is wealthy or not for you to do what is most appropriate. It is still your bike, in your possession, there is no written contact, though there may be a verbal one. It seems like the easy thing to just take his money. But it is just as easy to send the money back. Just my two cents.
Bologna!
He has a contract.

Offer, acceptance and consideration! A contract can be oral, implied or written.

At its most basic level a contract is an agreement between two parties whereby one makes an offer that is accepted by the other and there is some mutual exchange of value.

Bingo!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Last edited by Atomicman; Sep 26th, 2012 at 1:39 pm.
post #15 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Yeah, but don't forget that he's a CEO of a large company and if things get nasty he can probably bury Ron in legal fees. Sometimes you just gotta walk away.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #16 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 4:15 pm

I bet his wife found out he bought a bike.
post #17 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Ron: First I assume there is no written contract that addresses any of these concerns. Assuming that to be the case, any written exchanges between the parities in the form of e-mail of otherwise may be construed as providing otherwise missing terms for the purchase contract.

Where a contract does not address issues that later become the subject of dispute, the law will read into the agreement in lieu of any missing terms provisions that are reasonable and customary for the type of transaction involved. In this case, one of the terms that a court would need to provide (should it come to that) is the missing definition of a "reasonable" time for a buyer to fully perform, including taking delivery. It seems indisputable that such reasonable time has expired. Therefore, the likely conclusion is that the buyer has breached the purchase agreement.

However, until you have at least taken the steps outlined below I would not simply resell the bike. In order to do so in good-faith, I would feel an obligation to disclose the situation to another purchaser and such purchaser might well feel at risk which would affect the sale price if he was even willing to proceed. Notwithstanding the fact that I would not sell immediately and without notice to the buyer, you do have an obligation to mitigate your damages. For instance, you are not entitled to simply store the bike forever and then claim unlimited storage fees when you can minimize those damages by resale.

I would make an additional attempt to contact the buyer. My preference would be an overnight courier service such as Fed Ex since the tracking options and delivery confirmation are superior to a certified US Mail letter. Additionally, while some individuals as a policy do not accept registered/certified mail, everyone accepts Fed Ex. Where Certified US Mail is used, it is a good idea to at the same time send a non-registered letter by regular US Mail.

The buyer should be informed that after the expiration of a reasonable time for completion of the transaction (which reasonable time expired long ago) you presume that he does not intend to complete the performance of the purchase contract. If you do not receive a response within 10 days, you will conclusively determine such to be the case. At that time, you will re-advertise the bike and attempt to finalize a sale in at least the same amount as was agreed upon in your purchase contract with him. Upon the conclusion of that sale, you will deduct the cost of placing the new add and any shortfall between the amount of the new sales price and the price upon which he agreed along with any other damages you have incurred such as the cost of transmitting notice via courier and the cost of returning the remaining balance in certified funds. If, on the other hand he does indeed wish to take delivery, and so notifies you within 10 days, you will be glad to assist in arranging delivery at his expense. I would make the letter friendly and non-threatening while at the same time clearly stating the course of action you intend to follow.

No legal advice here. You asked what others on the Forum would do---this is what I would do. Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #18 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 6:00 pm

So what you are saying is, notice him and then deduct what it cost you to resell the bike along with expenses from his 4 grand and return the rest..........
post #19 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem
So what you are saying is, notice him and then deduct what it cost you to resell the bike along with expenses from his 4 grand and return the rest..........
Exactly--but why say in 24 words what you can use 2400 to say instead?

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #20 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:23 pm

I figured you were an attorney. My attorneys at work always take 20 pages to make up for the one page deals I put together. But I figure it is their job to protect me and the company. I frustrate the heck out of them when I reduce what they say to simple terms.....Words have meaning is what they always tell me so use them
post #21 of 31 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Ron, I have a great deal of experience in these matters. Ship the bike to me, pre-paid, with the title, and I will handle all the rest for you, no charge. Am I a nice guy, or what?
post #22 of 31 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Ron, I have a great deal of experience in these matters. Ship the bike to me, pre-paid, with the title, and I will handle all the rest for you, no charge. Am I a nice guy, or what?
Aw heck Ron... Send it to me... I'm closer being in CA and all... Same package as Frank's with a little less shipping charges... I'll just make sure that the bike works OK for a couple of years and then I'll try and finagle the final deal for ya... no issues...

What say u?

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #23 of 31 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Ron, pay no attention to this hoser calling himself "Uncle" anything. He's trying to take advantage of you, and I find it offensive.
Just to help you out, here's what I'm willing to do. I'll send you a Western Union check for $5,000. You go ahead and cash that, then send me back what ever is left over from shipping, in cash of course, and I'll take it from there.
And just to sweeten the deal, if you do this in the next 3 days ( you know I can't do this forever, right? ), I'll have you automatically entered in a sweet Nigerian lottery deal I have been working on. Pretty certain that you'll be a winner.

Yeah, UNCLE MARKY, who's your daddy now?
post #24 of 31 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Ron, pay no attention to this hoser calling himself "Uncle" anything. He's trying to take advantage of you, and I find it offensive.
Just to help you out, here's what I'm willing to do. I'll send you a Western Union check for $5,000. You go ahead and cash that, then send me back what ever is left over from shipping, in cash of course, and I'll take it from there.
And just to sweeten the deal, if you do this in the next 3 days ( you know I can't do this forever, right? ), I'll have you automatically entered in a sweet Nigerian lottery deal I have been working on. Pretty certain that you'll be a winner.

Yeah, you're 100% right about "Unkie" Mark being a hoser... first time I met the guy I walk up to him in a parking lot and say "Hey, how about a beer?" He says "SURE!!" and I hand him an ice cold Fat Tire - right out of my ice chest! Do you think he has EVER reciprocated? HELL NO!

Dear Unkie Mark (just like the Soup Nazi): NO HONDA FOR YOU!

...and then there's his butt buddy Hoss threatening all my MY Harley butt buddies in a parking lot during a ride - but I won't EVEN go there....

TWO hosers - and they're not even CANADIANS!

Butt, back to the dilemma du jour:

I think $200.00 a month storage fee is reasonable, since that's what it would cost if I had to go out and rent a heated and cooled secured locker (which is what my garage is) to store it. I would also think that 30 days from the date of the sale is more than a reasonable time for him to pick it up - so he gets one month for free.

He has "items" that I would be more than willing to apply the amount due for storage in trade for - so I look at that as a win-win. He's not out of pocket extra cash - but can still meet a reasonable obligation at no personal cost to him. I love trading, but mostly I just want him to pick up his goods so I don't have to stress out about it anymore. I'm kind of getting a feeling there may be some personal issues at work here (a divorce?) that may be playing into the scheme of things... I dunno, but it sure is different.

Fed Ex letter sent (good idea, thanks) with a demand to have a shipping agent pick it up within 10 days including a promissory note for $1,000.00 in merchandise credit or I'll consider it abandoned. At that point I'll definitely need to seek a local attorney's counsel - AND - charge him for that as well.

Now, about that Nigerian lottery deal. I want IN on that bad boy. Do you take personal checks?

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Sep 28th, 2012 at 8:46 pm.
post #25 of 31 Old Sep 29th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Quote:

I don't care who ya are.... That right there is funny.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #26 of 31 Old Sep 29th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Garage

How in the FUDGE did I get tied into all of this? Hell I don't like Fat Tires nor HONDA'S!...

And if your Hardlys found anything offensive spewing from my mouth...

Well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suck-it-up-cupcake.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	36648  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #27 of 31 Old Sep 29th, 2012, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
How in the FUDGE did I get tied into all of this? Hell I don't like Fat Tires nor HONDA'S!...

And if your Hardlys found anything offensive spewing from my mouth...

Well...

WHHHAaattt - you don't remember telling all those Chromosexuals in Yosemite how scared you were when they showed up in the parking lot - and told us we could all leave now?

I was hiding behind him.

(and for those of you that don't know Hoss he's about 6'6" and, oh, about 275 or so with a WICKED sense of humor. A former Marine. He's VERY scared of Pirates)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #28 of 31 Old Dec 11th, 2012, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Well, I'm no longer perplexed!

The Fed Ex letter got his attention. He arranged to have it picked up shortly thereafter, as in 7 days.

I pointed out to him that I stored it for six months for free, and felt that I should have *some* compensation for baby sitting it that long.

We worked out a gentleman's agreement that I could purchase a $2,000.00 item that his company manufactures for $500.00. In essence $1500.00 in trade. I sent him a check. I got the item just last week. He even paid for shipping and threw in some extras. Cool.

He sent me a nice note back saying that it was the nicest unrestored bike of it's type that he had ever seen. It has found a new home and prominent place in his collection, sadly it will probably never be ridden again.

I love happy endings. Thanks to all for your input and advice.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #29 of 31 Old Dec 11th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Well, I'm no longer perplexed!

We worked out a gentleman's agreement that I could purchase a $2,000.00 item that his company manufactures for $500.00. In essence $1500.00 in trade. I sent him a check. I got the item just last week. He even paid for shipping and threw in some extras. Cool.

:
OK, Don't keep us hanging, what did he sell you?

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #30 of 31 Old Dec 11th, 2012, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
OK, Don't keep us hanging, what did he sell you?

Garry
See picture below.

Multiply times 20 at several hundred yards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red dot on hog.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	37205  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #31 of 31 Old Dec 11th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
See picture below.

Multiply times 20 at several hundred yards.
I take it is a lazer sight?

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in