Kids on a bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Kids on a bike?

I have two sons 6 and 9. My wife says no motorcycle rides? Since she has 51% I comply. My question is what do others think about this? How old should a child be? Are there laws that address this? Are around-town rides different, in your mind, than interstate travel. Do the ATGATT guys think kids on the back should have the same standard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Don"t matter what we think, 51% rules!
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 2:38 am

I don't know about Kentucky, but in California, the law states a passenger must be able to reach the passenger foot pegs. The law doesn't state how old a child should be. I have twin boys, age 8, who I give rides around the block. I know my kids are strong enough to hold on. But, I won't go on to a major road or highway until they're at least 10 years old.

Good luck with the wife!!

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 5:48 am

I clearly remember my first ride with my Grandpa on a 54 Indian with a suicide shifter. Don't let the kids ride! Its too much fun, too much of a significant life event, they will be cursed for life...
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
I have two sons 6 and 9. My wife says no motorcycle rides? Since she has 51% I comply. My question is what do others think about this? How old should a child be? Are there laws that address this? Are around-town rides different, in your mind, than interstate travel. Do the ATGATT guys think kids on the back should have the same standard?
well I'm a bad one to give input since all my kids have been on a bike for at least short rides since I could put them on the gas tank

My son had been all the way round FL by the time he was 6 on my hd,

there is a answer though that will solve all riding issues

pw50, teach them to ride the little dirt bikes now. all four of our kids were done this way , although only two stuck with riding but they all had a blast back then!

I used to have pics of all them at diferent ages riding but many of those pics were burnt up in a fire.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 7:26 am

I remember my first ride. I was 5 and my uncle had just returned from Korea. He sat me on his Harley..... backwards. What a ride, I'll never forget it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 7:42 am

As a safety concern of course full riding gear is a must. But, just as important is the requirement that the little people be capable of making full contact with the passenger foot pegs. Without that capability it can be difficult to stay planted in the seat. I live by that rule but I have to admit that I have sort of cheated on occasion. My oldest granddaughter was always pestering for a ride and so we'd go out to the garage and sit her on the back and test her ability to make firm contact with the pegs. Finally got to a point where it was sooooo close. I fixed the problem by taping a couple of pieces of 2X4 to the pegs and off we went!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #8 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 8:26 am

Age limits vary from state to state. Here in Washington the minimum age is 5. I did a quick search for Kentucky and I couldn't find any law pertaining to a minimum age of a passenger or a requirement that feet must rest on footpegs.

Of course there are other statutes the state or municipalities could come after people with like child endangerment. Endangerment is subjective and looking at the court cases that make the news there is no telling what will be considered dangerous these days.

The next thing you know people will start being arrested for taking their kids to McDonalds . My goodness the hot coffee and obesity alone puts it in the top ten most dangerous places on the planet . It sounds like a ridiculous story but life is stranger than fiction .
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 8:31 am

I fully agree with Lynn on this one, on the road kids should be helmeted and dressed properly and be able to support their seating position by reaching the pegs. I don't have any kids but personally would not ride them on the road (especially around here) I have however given rides to friends children inside some state park boundaries.

I remember my very first ride(s), when we still lived in Holland on my dad's Solex (motor assisted bicycle) and then on the back of his Zundapp, we used to ride into Germany and visit the farmers that helped him hide out during the war. (he escaped from an arbeits camp)
I never forgot the feeling and got my first motorcycle when I was 17, had one ever since, still my first love.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:30 am

In Kentucky it shows no age restrictions. Now your troubles compound.

I agree that the first time you take your kids out that memory may last forever, but if something happens and the kids get hurt you have no winning angle at that point. She told you so to begin with, etc, etc. Looks like an uphill battle that is probably better off left alone.

I agree with BIG E. 51% just as well be 100%

Donald
NW Arkansas
2006 K1200LT Blackish sorta kinda
BMWMOA #124197
AMA #925041

The difference between committed and involved is like a ham and egg breakfast, the chicken was involved...the pig was committed!
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:51 pm
Ted

I have 3 - oldest 2 are boys (13 & 11) and a girl (9). The first time they were exposed to motorcycles was when they were 8, 6, and 4. At the time I only had an '87 Ninja. Two rules - they had to be able to reach the footpegs, and of course they had to WANT to go for a ride.

It was funny because the oldest boy didn't want to go at first. It was only after the middle boy got his ride that changed the oldest's mind about going. Sabrina always wanted to go but she couldn't reach the pegs until she was 5.

At the time we lived in Oregon, so there were some nice back roads just outside of our neighborhood so we never had to really go into traffic to go for a ride.

At first, we'd just cruise around the neighborhood, but as they got used to the bike, and could demonstrate they could handle more we'd go for longer and faster rides.

What I remember most was the first time we had to go in some traffic. This seemed to make the biggest impression on the oldest boy, who commented that it was "different" than those back country roads.

I never pushed them, and always told them if they wanted me to stop to tap my leg. I also instructed them on how to brace themselves in case we had to stop suddenly, and to keep their head on the side that we're turning to.

Now, 6 years later, I have 3 young motorcyclists, and they all love the LT! I still have not taken Sabrina on the freeway, but both boys have been and don't mind it at all.

For gear: helmets, gloves, hiking boots, jeans....they boys can fit into my wife's leathers, although the oldest is getting too big for the jacket and will be getting his own gear this season. And, that's part of the reason why Sabrina hasn't been on the freeway yet - no heavy duty gear that fits.

Also, just to see how they'd do on their own, this past Thanksgiving we all rented ATV's at Pismo Beach and had a blast!

So, I'd say if they can reach the pegs and want to go, take them for a short ride and work up from there.

Good luck, and if you'd think it would help for your wife to speak with mine let me know....

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #12 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 3:53 am

My daughter who is 14 and my son 8 started around the neighborhood when 3 yrs old. I had a HD Heritage Springer and I started them by riding in front of me and holding onto the tank. I waited until they were five to go outside the hood. I remember taking my daughter when she was five on a fun run with the HOG chapter. When she was 8yr old we flew to Bangor Maine and rented an Ultra Glide for a week and toured Novia Scotia for a week. The next year we flew to Alaska and rented a GS 1100 and did 1000 miles mostly in the rain. She always wears full leathers. When my son was 6 we picked up the sidecar rig in New Jersey and toured New England for a week. Then next year all four of us travel through the Northwest and last year we went up to Vancouver Island
My wife has always ridden so she does not have any problem with the kids riding. My kids do ride in leathers when on two wheels but I regular clothes in the sidecar since it has four point seatbelts.
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
Rides??? At 6 and 9 I think they're ready for their own bikes!

How's Mom feel about minibikes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in