Please be careful with Fireworks. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Please be careful with Fireworks.

Just watched a nephew put fire crackers down his pants and now he is walking around in pain with burns on his scrotum and penis. What is it with kids today?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hoog62; Sep 3rd, 2012 at 6:26 am. Reason: Picture removed again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 5:53 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Please be careful with Fireworks.

A friend of mine's son lit a Roman candle this past July 4th & before he could put it in a tube it blew up in his hand. It completely severed his thumb & burned his palm with 3rd degree burns. They reattached the thumb & only time will tell if it ever works again.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 8:21 pm
cws

Garage

This is why fireworks were banned in most of Australia (apart from the ACT - our Federal Capital "state") some 25 or more years ago, except for professionally run fireworks shows. They were great fun to have when I was a kid, but there were always so many accidents and animals harmed by little bastards.

How old is your nephew? Hope he recovers quickly 'cause that looks awful painful!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 9:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Here in Michigan our governor pushed and got it passed that any kind of fireworks are now legal. This past 4th of July was crazy. People were firing off large professional size stuff right in our neighborhood.

I haven't heard of people getting hurt but I would think it would be just a matter of time.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Just watched a nephew put fire crackers down his pants and now he is walking around in pain with burns on his scrotum and penis. What is it with kids today?
Hate to say it, but he's a prime Darwin candidate....

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 10:38 am

I had a college roommate who decided in high school to make his own fireworks. The mixture blew up in his face, causing him to permanently loose his sight. He also lost a thumb and several fingers of his right hand!

He was quite successful thought in college and had a great business career. Definitely a case of turning a very bad situation into one that was quite positive. The last I heard from him, he is president of the seeing eye dog school in NJ.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

A few years ago I read an article in Cycle Magazine that did a great explanation of risk taking in the young vs. mature adults. They were relating to motorcycling but it applies, it goes like this;

You have a child and the parents running along (the road of life) a crevasse. The child is running along about a foot from the edge, and the parents running along four feet away. The parents see and feel the risk the child is taking buy being so close to the edge, however the youth only sees and feels the excitement of an adventure.

I try to remember this when I see my children and now grandchildren learning their life lessons.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 5th, 2012, 11:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hopefully a minor yet painful lesson that may keep him from making a far more long lasting mistake in the future. There has to be reasonable care by all. Banning is not the answer, Making everything publicly consumable isn't the answer either. Sometimes parenting is an issue, but rarely is it the issue. The best we can do is try to reinforce that personal responsibility is the key. From the time they are infants, "did you fall and hurt yourself?" not "did that mean old tree root trip you?" Seriously I hear it all the time inanimate object being given personality and assigned responsibility. I feel bad when bad things happen to folks, but outlawing things because a small segment of society makes foolish decisions? That dog won't hunt!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in