tendinitis of the elbow problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 7:03 am Thread Starter

tendinitis of the elbow problem

I've been fighting with this in my right elbow for about 6 months and wondering is anyone else has ever had it. Were you able to find a cure?

Four months ago I got a cortisone shot and that took away all of the discomfort for several months, but it came back. Several weeks ago I got another shot, but the discomfort did not stop. I don't play tennis (tennis elbow is similar) and the only thing that I'm doing that really involves the elbow or repetitive motion is riding the bike.

My doctor has recommended a nylon elbow wrap to see if that might lessen the amount of discomfort. Ice, elevation and rest seem to be the only real therapies. Any other suggestions. I can mask it temporarily with an anti inflammatory, but in general,I'd prefer to stay away from those.

Anyone play a doctor in real life or stay at a Holiday Inn Express? I did not have the problem with the K1200LT so maybe I might have to trade back! Wondering if it might be the throttle?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 7:45 am
cws

Garage
Re: tendinitis of the elbow problem

Hi Dan.

I had it a few years back in left elbow.. not caused through sport either. Couldn't sort it out over several months including doctor visits.
Eventually out of desperation went to an acupuncture centre... it was run by a very old Chinese man, who spoke little english, tended to grunt and point to find out my issue.
He used his acupuncture needles with an electrode attached around elbow, shoulder and a couple of points in the hand... took about 1 hr all up for consult & treatment.
Next day, pain gone and has never come back.

Since then, and also after some treatment for 2 x sprained ankles, I've bought and use a TENS machine (Metron Pro 10's) which has similar affect but without the added benefit of the acupuncture. Easy to use at home anytime, or you can get little portable ones for use anytime, eg while driving, walking or at work (although maybe not if you're diving... )
TENS is Transcutaneous (through the skin) Electrical Nerve Stimulation.
Check the web for details or Ebay for suppliers, plenty of sellers. About $100 for the unit.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks Chris - I'm up for both.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 8:07 am

My experience with tendinitis was somewhat similar as yours. Left elbow, The lateral epicondyle tendon and the forearm muscle became inflamed due to repetitive motion at my work. Cortisone injection just masked the injury. I ended up doing some time at physical therapy using ultrasound treatment. Ultimately for me, using a neoprene brace which had a velcro strap did the trick for me. The brace's buckle, if positioned properly, would apply a slight amount of pressure on the specific region of the injury. Total relief after a few months of using the brace. After about 20 years.....no trouble at all.

This link describe it all....http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/tennis-elbow

Best wishes

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #5 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 8:44 am

I have a similar pain in my left shoulder, it is the third bout over the last four or five years. It seems to go away over the course of the day but after six hours in bed it is a killer. This time it came after wrestling to keep the bike up when the front wheel sunk in deep loose grave, I did manage to keep it up with wife and luggage but two or three days later this pain came. It does not restrict my mobility but is annoying during the day and uncomfortable in the morning. It is better now than it was two weeks ago. Last time I had it the dr. gave me muscle relaxant but it did not seem to help a great deal.

Gerhard
post #6 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I've been fighting with this in my right elbow for about 6 months and wondering is anyone else has ever had it. Were you able to find a cure?
My left elbow bothered me for over 25 years. I was an ironworker and did a lot of heavy lifting. I had to use a neopreme elbow wrap to get enough relief to even sleep at night. Eventually started taking the wrap to work also. Finally I told the wife I'm not dealing with this any more. Went to my Dr. who sent me over to the hospital for a test. It was a carpal tunnel test where they stick you with the needles (unpleasant). He only stuck me twice and said there's your problem. I say what? He says you have 90% carpal tunnel in the left hand...went on and tested the right, and it was 80%. I said well that's all fine & well, but its my elbow that has been bothering me all this time. He says, I'm not saying that there isn't anything wrong with your elbow, but you should take care of this first and go from there. So I go in for surgery, and the instant they made the cut in the palm of my hand, my elbow quit hurting. And hasn't for around fifteen years. Eventually did the other hand too, but they cut me up on the wrist for that one. (different Dr. sense my other one was in Iraq) So my advice is to have this checked out first. No sense having them cutting around on something they don't need too. YMMV

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #7 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Is there any possibility that riding your bike is causing the problem?

Perhaps your seating and arm position is not ergonomically correct for you. If, by chance you are reaching for the hand grips for extended periods you may be placing undue stress on your elbows, if so, have you considered some form of riser to reduce the distance?

Just an outside thought as from your blog it seems that riding brings on the problem.
post #8 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 1:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have had problems with both Elbows' for over 20 years. I had been to a doctor about it, & he gave me some pills...That gave me an ulcer...

So, back then, I also had a back problem & went to my chiropractor. He said do you have any think else bothering you? I said ya,... my elbows. So he takes my forearm & pushes on the muscle with his thumb. That kind of made my elbow & my hand hurt. He held it for 10 or 20 seconds, & it did more good that any of the pills the doctor had gave me. He said what he did was acupressure. That the muscles would get tight, & would not relax, & the pressure would tell the muscles to take a brake. The muscles pull on the tendons, & the tendons would swell & pinch things in there & that is what was hurting. If you get the muscles to quite pulling all the time, the swelling in the tendons go down, and then it will go away. I went back to him for my back, & after a short time. My back was doing OK, & I ask him if I should come back for my elbow. He said no, you know how to do it yourself. You don't need to come in here & pay me.

So ever sense then, when it is bothering me, I jam my thumb into it. If is bothering me for a few days, I usually run hot water on my forearms in the shower to help relax the muscles, then stick my thumb.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #9 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
I have had problems with both Elbows' for over 20 years. I had been to a doctor about it, & he gave me some pills...That gave me an ulcer...

So, back then, I also had a back problem & went to my chiropractor. He said do you have any think else bothering you? I said ya,... my elbows. So he takes my forearm & pushes on the muscle with his thumb. That kind of made my elbow & my hand hurt. He held it for 10 or 20 seconds, & it did more good that any of the pills the doctor had gave me. He said what he did was acupressure. That the muscles would get tight, & would not relax, & the pressure would tell the muscles to take a brake. The muscles pull on the tendons, & the tendons would swell & pinch things in there & that is what was hurting. If you get the muscles to quite pulling all the time, the swelling in the tendons go down, and then it will go away. I went back to him for my back, & after a short time. My back was doing OK, & I ask him if I should come back for my elbow. He said no, you know how to do it yourself. You don't need to come in here & pay me.

So ever sense then, when it is bothering me, I jam my thumb into it. If is bothering me for a few days, I usually run hot water on my forearms in the shower to help relax the muscles, then stick my thumb.
Thanks for the tip - Where on the forearm is the magic spot? Sounds easy enough.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noRThwind
Is there any possibility that riding your bike is causing the problem?

Perhaps your seating and arm position is not ergonomically correct for you. If, by chance you are reaching for the hand grips for extended periods you may be placing undue stress on your elbows, if so, have you considered some form of riser to reduce the distance?

Just an outside thought as from your blog it seems that riding brings on the problem.
I seem to notice it after riding just about any distance. Yesterday it was for only 30 minutes each way. It doesn't bother while I'm riding. The arm position of the the K1600 GTL seems to be pretty close to that of all other bikes I've owned. Very similar to the K1200LT.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 7:55 pm

I would suggest seeing an Occupational Therapist. They specialize in matching your physical capability with the task at hand.

Example: I play congas and there was a time when my forearms would tighten up to the point where I couldn't really play. My wife, (who happens to be an OT) had me sit at my drums and told me to play. I did and she said to lower my seat 1/2 - 1 inch. I did and the pain went away immediately.

It may be a long shot, but worth a try.

--bob

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #12 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 8:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I seem to notice it after riding just about any distance. Yesterday it was for only 30 minutes each way. It doesn't bother while I'm riding. The arm position of the the K1600 GTL seems to be pretty close to that of all other bikes I've owned. Very similar to the K1200LT.
Dan,
I think I could help you out with a upgrade to a 2005 Lt. Mine is BMW yellow and would blend in with the Sunshine you have down there. I am sure I could work it so you wouldn't be to far in the hole.

On a serious note hope to find a solution, sounds like arm position might be a starting spot.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the on and off line suggestions, a lot to digest and think about. Just for the record, today, I have been trying the muscle pressure point suggestion and maybe it's anecdotal, but my elbow seems to feel better.

There have been several other good suggestions and I'll look into them too. Seems like my elbow doesn't bother when I'm riding, it's after I stop that I can feel it.

So it looks like I'll either have to just keep riding, figure out if there is a better position, or take John up on his most generous offer, unless I can find a newer LT for my GTL!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I know we are getting a little off-topic re carpal tunnel issues....I thought I was going down the path of razmataz until I visited the chiropractor. He claims that most, not all, carpal tunnel surgeries are unneccessary. Chiropractic treatment has relieved any issue I have had. I do need an update about once a month, which also keeps other things lined up too.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #15 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Had the exact same story as Patric, with the same results. Just dig your right hand fingers into the sore spot on the top of your forearm, should be in the middle of the top side. What you are doing is breaking up the inflammation on the tendons that are abrading on each other. Do it with your left hand pointed down, and slowly raise it as far up as you can while digging in to your forearm. It will hurt big time when you are doing it. Ice it after, then do it again the next day. 3-5 treatments, fixed!

BMRBOB
post #16 of 20 Old Aug 9th, 2012, 2:11 am

Had pain in my left elbow for years, diagnosed as golfers elbow. No, I don't play .Had my doctor ( a G.P.) give me a cortisone shot & the pain went away for about a month, then returned worse than before. Stopped in to see my Orthopedic surgeon about a him doing arthroscopic surgery on my knee & I mentioned the elbow pain to him. He is an accomplished tri-athlete & marathon runner. He said he was going to give me another cortisone shot, but he was going to cause me a bunch of pain when he did it. He gave me the shot into the bone of my elbow. I have not felt that kind of pain since the second time I was wounded in Viet Nam, but the pain went away & has stayed gone for the last 12 years. I guess his method is a bit unorthodox, but it worked.
post #17 of 20 Old Aug 9th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Dan,
For my tennis eIbow, I was headed in for the 3rd cortisone shot in 12 months. The tendon in my arm looked like I had a pencil under my skin.
Luckily I saw the PA instead of the MD. She asked me what I was doing to treat my elbow besides the cortisone. Told her ibuprophen and ice when it hurt. She told me ice is only to reduce swelling for 48 hours after an injury to reduce swelling and collateral tissue damage. She said to get a tendon to heal you need increased oxygen to support the healing process. Her recommendation was to treat the injury with heat..
She said wrap it around my elbow, as hot as you can stand for an hour. She said your arm should be bright pink below the pad!
Did that twice a day for 10 days along with some Ibuprophen. 10 days of looking a little like a lobster and I was completely healed. Sounds like there may be some new treatment methods since most MDs were in school. No relapse in 10 years.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #18 of 20 Old Aug 9th, 2012, 8:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Dan, sorry I'm slow getting back . It is kind of like this
http://www.ehow.com/video_4398887_ac...lbow-pain.html

Your forearm has two bones in it, the mussle over bones,on the out side get tight. You should be able to feel the two bones, if you can't, the mussle is too tight. His guy is working the " spot " at around 2:40 in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApN5o...eature=related

I hope this is of help.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #19 of 20 Old Aug 10th, 2012, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Patric,

Since your earlier comment, I have tried applying pressure to the area for about 20 seconds and I've got to say that for the first time in months, after about an hour on the bike today, there is no discomfort.

I also have, what is called a Mini Masseuse, (picked it up at bike week in Daytona several years ago) which applies an electrical type of muscle stimulation. Both combined seem to be helping. Thanks...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 10th, 2012, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Patric,

Very good video too. Thanks!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in