Moto GP - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Moto GP

Ok, I admit it. I'm ignorant. I watched the Moto GP from Laguna Seca this afternoon although I do not follow the circuit religiously. A few questions:

1. Can anyone explain the CRT in terms I can understand?

2. What happened to Spies? I saw no reason for a high side when and where he lost it?

3. Saw Rossi's bike sailing across the kitty litter but never saw what happened. What happened?

4. Did anyone else find the Speed Channel's coverage abysmal? What's with 2 minutes of commercials with the Geico Lizard and the b---h from Progressive Insurance in the last 4 minutes of the race?

Thanks.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 12:04 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Re: Moto GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
Ok, I admit it. I'm ignorant. I watched the Moto GP from Laguna Seca this afternoon although I do not follow the circuit religiously. A few questions:

1. Can anyone explain the CRT in terms I can understand?

2. What happened to Spies? I saw no reason for a high side when and where he lost it?

3. Saw Rossi's bike sailing across the kitty litter but never saw what happened. What happened?

4. Did anyone else find the Speed Channel's coverage abysmal? What's with 2 minutes of commercials with the Geico Lizard and the b---h from Progressive Insurance in the last 4 minutes of the race?

Thanks.
1) Experimental bikes... I have all the paper work downstairs but to tired to go get it. I will email it to you.

2) No explanation.

3) No explanation.. He ripped the right side of his leathers around the shoulder.

4) I mentioned this to Tom T. after watching the race... The coverage was very poor compared to the other races from other countries... Way to many commercials and cut a-ways of crap.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 8:56 am

#2: according to Spies, in an interview, he suffered some sort of swing arm failure that put the bike down.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 9:20 am

Right, Spies' bike's swing arm broke when it loaded coming down the Corkscrew. After his shock announcement, it's enough to make a conspiracy-theorist go wild.

The Speed guys are (IMHO) weak at best. Then when they do MotoGP, they are trying to dumb everything down for the US television audience. Motogp.com's video is the way to go if you're a reasonably serious fan. The announcers are very knowledgable and the streaming quality is excellent.

CRT bikes are an effort to combat the insane costs associated with building a full-blown prototype. The CRT bikes are purpose built chassis, but they use production-based 1 liter engines. They are allowed to use more fuel and more engines per season than the true prototypes. It's almost like the classes you find in sports car racing; they all ride together, but they're essentially running their own race amongst themselves. This is all a reaction to the incredible shrinking grid sizes for MotoGP races before this year. They were down to 15 or 16 bikes for some races.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 10:43 am

Jim, did you also understand that Colin Edwards is riding a BMW powered machine? Thought I read that somewhere. Heard too that EBR (Buell) is hoping to get into the mix. I for one think it'd be interesting to see.
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Yes, Edwards' bike has a BMW powerplant and a Suter chassis. In his own special way, he has indicated his unhappiness with the bike:

His team is evaluating a couple of other options. It's very common for the CRT guys (similar to Moto2, which is based on a spec engine) to switch horses (chassis) in mid-stream.

The whole CRT thing is very new and things change quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AzAlZGdCcAIwDJ9.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	36054  
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 12:39 pm

You guys got me on a roll on MotoGP...so while I'm at it...

Ben Spies has announced his intention to leave the Yamaha factory team after this season. The story is that he's 99% signed to ride for the BMW team along with Marco Melandri (who is already signed) in World Superbike next year. This is a pretty credible report.

The speculation then follows that BMW is gearing up to step into MotoGP in 2014 with Spies. (I think this is pure speculation, though.)
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Spies is a GREAT rider and I hope it is true that he will be going to BMW. He won WSB in his rookie year so he can go fast we all know that. I just think in MotoGP his team mate is getting all the support.

I too did hear BMW was heading to MotoGP in 2014 so WSB title for Spies in 2013 then back to MotoGP sounds great!
Sales are already good for the S1000RR,but with an american on board they would sell even better. Look at how much Hayden has helped Ducati sales in the USA.

2011 BMW R1200RT

2008 Ducati Multistrada(sold)
2006 HD CVO V-Rod(sold)
2004 Honda RC51(sold)
2002 Yamaha Road Warrior(sold)
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaron
Sales are already good for the S1000RR,but with an american on board they would sell even better. Look at how much Hayden has helped Ducati sales in the USA.
+1

After all, at the end of the day, it IS all about selling bikes...
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think CRT is claiming rule team. The CRT's can put in a clam for the motor out of the winning bike. They have a dollar amount set up, so if a motor is clammed it is at a set price. I don't think a CRT team will ever put in a clam. I think CRT's are parts-mobile VS big cubic dollars.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #11 of 12 Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 1:04 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Its good to know that Valentino Rossi is going back to factory Yamaha. Ducati is to slow to change its ways. Spies high sided this pass weekend again at Indy. Thats twice on the American tracks.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #12 of 12 Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 2:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
You guys got me on a roll on MotoGP...so while I'm at it...

Ben Spies has announced his intention to leave the Yamaha factory team after this season. The story is that he's 99% signed to ride for the BMW team along with Marco Melandri (who is already signed) in World Superbike next year. This is a pretty credible report.

The speculation then follows that BMW is gearing up to step into MotoGP in 2014 with Spies. (I think this is pure speculation, though.)
Here in Texas the word is Spies may be going to Ducati.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in