Three cheers for John Zeiler & Dave Selvig - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:17 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Three cheers for John Zeiler & Dave Selvig

We go to Florida for the winter, & we always take our K1200LT/Hannigan. This last winter, just after Christmas, our LT ate its gear box's input shaft's front bearing. I could not work on it there in our RV Park, so it had until after we got home this spring.

The bike started making a squealing sound just before we parked it down there. It sounded like a bad water pump on steroids. I thought it was a bad slave cylinder, but after I got dug down to it, I had to dig deeper. I got the gear box off, & you could wiggle the input shaft all around. I thought that don't look too good. It also ate some of the side of the clutch push rod; it looked like it was put up against a grinder

Anyway, I was talking to Dave Selvig (Saddleman) about some stuff (RTE) up here in Michigan, & I mentioned my problem. Dave talked jzeiler (John Zeiler) for me to see if he might be able to fix my transmission. John said he would see what he could do to fix it for me.

Well, I sent it down to John, & he went thru it. He fixed it up as good as OR better that new... (Better output shaft seal). John sent it back up here, & I got our rig back together. It sure is nice to be able to ride it again.

With out this fine BMW Luxury Touring group, & all the people here. Especially people like John & Dave; I would have had a lot harder time trying to fix our rig.

My Thank's to jzeiler & Saddleman

Patric

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 1:11 pm

Re: Three cheers for John Zeiler & Dave Selvig

They are a couple of good eggs aren't they...

Bravo John & Dave...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 1:11 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

John & Dave are the kind of people that make this forum one of the best around. Both will go out of their way (Along with many ours here) to help anyway they can. It is friends like them that keep me hanging 'round here & helping anyway I can.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
John & Dave are the kind of people that make this forum one of the best around. Both will go out of their way (Along with many ours here) to help anyway they can. It is friends like them that keep me hanging 'round here & helping anyway I can.

++++++1 AMEN to this!!!!!!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #5 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 6:24 pm

Quite a few extremely helpful people here with an amazing amount of knowledge. It was obvious to me for the very beginning and as I've told a few, the main reason why I enjoyed my K1200LT so much.

From my limited exposure, this is the best and most professionally run forum. It would be great to have any number of you as neighbors. Course, I'd probably drive you crazy with IT questions.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 7:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan I would be deeply honored to be your neighbor. That way you could ride my LT any time you wanted and I could ride your 1600 any time I wanted. What's that? Hysterical laughter?

Seriously, this is a great group. It's regrettable that BMW gave up the LT. Hopefully we can all transition to the 1600s over time and stick together.

post #7 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 7:31 pm

Coffee all over my keyboard.... :-)

Dean, You must be cosmic! Of course we could swap every now and then....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 9:33 pm

Both of the guys have helped many of us on this forum. Me included. These guys know how to teach and share the knowledge they have. There are so many more on here as well that do the same thing.

2006 K LT1200 Ridin'
2007 K GT1200 Sold
2005 ST 1100 Sold
1985 V65 1000 Magna Sold
1973 CB 750 4 Sold
1966 305 SuperHawk Sold
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:20 pm

Every once in a while, I remember a few prople who started this site and set it's tone. Plus, I remember the great work Andy does for us all and that it's been a few years since he owned an LT.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Dave has helped me out numerous times. So many that I owe him a debt of gratitude that would be impossible to repay.

Let me tell you something NOT motorcycle related Dave did for me recently. Well, I guess it's still motorcycle related, because Dave was riding, but not fixing one. My family was at Carowinds (theme park on NC/SC state line, south of Charlotte) for the day. Around 2:00, we decided we'd had enough fun and headed for the car. We were almost to the car, when I reached into my pocket to get the key. The ring with house key, work key, etc. were there, but no car key and fob. Oh, fudge! What do we do now?!? We went back to lost and found to see if they had been turned in. No such luck. My wife is asking who can we call. Who would be willing to come get me and take me home to get the spare. I called my best friend, Dave. He was working in his garage, but more than willing to help. He rode 15 miles to my house, got the spare key, then 50 miles to Carowinds to bring it to me. He wouldn't take anything for his trouble. I did take him what I thought was his favorite refreshment only to find out he prefers another brand! (Smacking forehead! ) Next time I'll get that right!

I know Dave doesn't do any of the things he does to receive any special recognition. He does everything he does because he's a GREAT friend. Dropping everything to help out a dummy who can't keep up with a car key shows what a super guy he is. Thanks again, Dave! Your help and friendship means more to me than I could ever say!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Garage

I am new and just 2 years young.
But everything said I would echo. I read many threads and these two headline quite a few. Though I' no mechanic their knowledge, experience and layout is priceless.
ride safe
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Good folks like that make this world go around.

B D R
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Dave has helped me out numerous times. So many that I owe him a debt of gratitude that would be impossible to repay.

Let me tell you something NOT motorcycle related Dave did for me recently. Well, I guess it's still motorcycle related, because Dave was riding, but not fixing one. My family was at Carowinds (theme park on NC/SC state line, south of Charlotte) for the day. Around 2:00, we decided we'd had enough fun and headed for the car. We were almost to the car, when I reached into my pocket to get the key. The ring with house key, work key, etc. were there, but no car key and fob. Oh, fudge! What do we do now?!? We went back to lost and found to see if they had been turned in. No such luck. My wife is asking who can we call. Who would be willing to come get me and take me home to get the spare. I called my best friend, Dave. He was working in his garage, but more than willing to help. He rode 15 miles to my house, got the spare key, then 50 miles to Carowinds to bring it to me. He wouldn't take anything for his trouble. I did take him what I thought was his favorite refreshment only to find out he prefers another brand! (Smacking forehead! ) Next time I'll get that right!

I know Dave doesn't do any of the things he does to receive any special recognition. He does everything he does because he's a GREAT friend. Dropping everything to help out a dummy who can't keep up with a car key shows what a super guy he is. Thanks again, Dave! Your help and friendship means more to me than I could ever say!

The way he likes to ride he would probably ride up here to MI and do the same for me!!!

I sure am glad I got to know you guys!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #14 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 5:26 pm

That is what they ( John,Dave ) do, helping us who are less educated. I can tell you personally I'm a better rider for having been round these fine men. On more than one occasion I have called Dave, with a issue or two. Never once have I ever felt like I was a bother. He gave me good sound advice and I always got home. Thanks guys, it is people like you that makes this group the best.

Michael Dale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in