Riding solo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Riding solo

I do a lot of riding solo. My wife isn't really that crazy about riding and gives me a very long leash!!

I just rode around Lake MI and am thinking about riding around Superior soon. I have been down to the Smokies and rode from FL to MI also other long solo rides.

Most all of my friends think I'm weird for riding solo. Whenever I talk about going on a ride they ask "who ya going with?" When I say by myself I can just sense the thought that they have. Sometimes they ask, "you really like riding by yourself?" Or something to that effect. People who don't ride also think it's strange that I would ride so far alone.

It's not that I don't like to ride with others, just none of my friends care for the long distance riding.

I know many of you ride a lot solo, do you get much grief for it??

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 7:06 pm

Re: Riding solo

Not much grief, but I do and have enjoyed long (for me) solo rides. I've sort of got my wife conditioned and I start dropping hints several months in advance so it starts to become obvious and already determined by ride week.

Next planned long ride is to CCR the end of August and might (hope) to meet up with several new friends on the way.

One big advantage to riding solo is that I decide everything. I'm retired and can really just decide to pick up and leave any time.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 7:07 pm

Don't care what "they" think.

I ride solo because I enjoy going where I want whenever I feel like it. If I want to change my route I just hit the blinker and go.

I ride alone not because my wife won't go but because she is "smarter" than me and flys to wherever I am going.

I just rode from Phoenix AZ. to Cape Cod Mass. and back. She flew in and opened the house before I got there. I left the day before she did and she closed the house and flew back.

I got three weeks to ride and she only took two.

Who's smarter?!?!?

Why am I here and what day is it??

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 7:20 pm

Ive ridden 45k miles in the last 2 years, 90% of it by myself. No schedule, stop when I want and keep riding when I want. I have found one friend that has similar riding style but for the most part, it's just me. I get the same questions but it's what I like to do.
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:28 pm

All of my long rides are solo, just too hard to sync schedules with my friends that do ride.

Plus, there may be times where I want to ride aggressively and my buddy is dragging ass or he's creeping along and not keeping up.

If I did ride with someone, I wouldn't mind rendezvousing at a destination but taking independent routes. That way we don't have to stop for water, get gas, take a piss, etc at the same time.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 7:31 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I ride 80 % solo, the times that I ride with others it is only with people I've rode with before. I have one good friend that we have over 20,000 miles on the road together. We set tne amount of miles we want to ride in 1 day well in advance of the trip. We have done as few as 400 miles to as many as 1000 miles a day.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 23rd, 2012 at 11:39 am.
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:10 am

People tell me I'm nuts, sometimes I hear hardcore. Not my 1st solo trip over 10K, do one every year, but just got back from my longest, 18577 miles. Still adding to the write-up here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...704#post598704

I've done several iron butts, SS1000, 2000, 3000, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, BBG1500, and they've all been alone. If you're riding around the Great Lakes you might consider doing one of the IBA rides designated for them.

I also hunt alone, most years in Alaska. Air taxi takes me out either on tundra tires or floats, drops me off and comes back in a week to pick me up. I just prefer doing things alone. People say I'm nuts.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro
People tell me I'm nuts, sometimes I hear hardcore. Not my 1st solo trip over 10K, do one every year, but just got back from my longest, 18577 miles. Still adding to the write-up here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...704#post598704

I've done several iron butts, SS1000, 2000, 3000, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, BBG1500, and they've all been alone. If you're riding around the Great Lakes you might consider doing one of the IBA rides designated for them.

I also hunt alone, most years in Alaska. Air taxi takes me out either on tundra tires or floats, drops me off and comes back in a week to pick me up. I just prefer doing things alone. People say I'm nuts.
Looking at your personal travel map--you mean to tell me you have never ridden in Nunavut? Or Hawaii? I'd be embarrassed to even post such a map! I was bragging to a friend from Vancouver that I had ridden in every province in Canada as well as the Yukon and NW territories. He asked me why I had never ridden in Nunavut--my answer--Hell, I'd never even heard of it!

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 1:08 pm

Yep, No Hawaii or Nunavut. Been to both places but no bike. Was in Kugluktuk Nunavut in March a few years ago. It's a VERY VERY COLD place then.

But I've researched it trying to find a way. If you look very closely at the territorial boundaries Nunavut actually crosses onto the mainland against northern Quebec on the east side of the James Bay just beyond the end of the James Bay Road, beyond Radisson Qc. On Google Earth you can see that quad atvs have tracks that lead into that little piece of Nunavut beach, you only need to go just a few hundred yards. On Google Earth it looks like the tracks have water in them and are probably boggy but I wander if you could pay a local to load my 650 up on an atv or argo and take it to the Nunavut beach?

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 1:30 pm

Hmm! Not sure how I didn't see it before. You can go south more easily and wrap (left on the map) out to the Nunavut beach. Looks like about 1100 miles from home each way. I can do this easily in 4 maybe 5 days. Need to get the 650 back together, gonna do it and knock off Nunavut! Wander if there are any access restrictions? Thanks!!!

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 1:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Sounds like a fun trip.

Think I can make it on a GTL?

Is that a ferry crossing near the Chisasbi airport?

My only concerns would be gas past Matagami . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 3:48 pm

There is a very short ferry below Fort George. The James Bay road is paved and the longest gas stretch is about 236 miles, comparable to either the dalton or dempster. But I just wander if there are any native access restrictions.

http://jamesbayroad.com/chisasibi/index.html

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 4:30 pm

Gee Enduro--I really did not mean to throw out a challenge! Keep us posted but don't expect a lot of company (might be just you and Meese). I'd be proud to say I had ridden in every Canadian Province and each of its Territories, but some things just ain't worth it.

Here is what the Nunavut Tourism website says:

How To Get Here

At all times of the year, the best way to get to Nunavut and to travel between its remote communities is by air.

Nunavut is immense. It occupies a fifth of Canada. Seeing all of it in one visit is not practical for most visitors. It took thousands of years for the indigenous people of Nunavut to explore its vast expanses and there are still many corners of this beautiful territory that have never been visited by any human beings at all.

There are no roads to Nunavut. The 25 separate communities of Nunavut are not connected to each other by highway or by railroad, nor are they connected by road or rail to any other Canadian cities further south.

I wonder who those visitors are that are referenced above for whom it is practical to see all of Nunavut in one visit?

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)

Last edited by Moot; Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:38 pm.
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 9:04 pm

To your original question, My experience is that some people are surprised to learn you ride solo because 1) they assume riding is so dangerous that you wouldn't think to ride without a "buddy" for when you crash (or something?),and 2. Because most of what they know about riding is big groups of "parade riders" rolling down the highway.

I love to ride solo or with a friend or two, for long multi week rides or just romps inthe local twisties.

Riding alone or in very small groups avoids the inevitable "where do you want to eat? I don't know, where do you want to eat"....and so on.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #15 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:14 pm

I ride my bike like I drove my car. Except I find driving a car rather boaring. So while I would never drive my car cross country, unless I absolutely had to, I've ridden from Mass to AZ and Maine to AZ. I'm planning on riding from AZ to ME in a few weeks and then before the snow flies in New England back to AZ.

While I was in ME last year I looked to meet fellow riders. I nooticed an ad for a local group ride to support some activety at a local high school. While I did meet a couple of friendly people I discovered that riding in a parade was rather boaring.

Course I stuck out like a sore thumb amoungst all of the HD local HD riders. One thing that convienced me I should at least try a group ride like that was that at the end of the ride there would be a BBQ. At the end of the ride I discovered that BBQ meant hot dogs and burgers?

Come to think of it another oddity is American Chop Suy in Maine: macaroni, hanburger, and a tomatoe type of sauce.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:28 pm

You are not crazy, what you do keeps you from going crazy!
I do enjoy rides with my wife (she does not ride) but will ride solo when she no longer enjoys it.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #17 of 18 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:24 am

Quote:
Don't care what "they" think.

I ride solo because I enjoy going where I want whenever I feel like it. If I want to change my route I just hit the blinker and go.
as long as I have some tunes..... no problem

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2012, 9:36 am

I am completely embarrassed to say that I have never even heard of Nunavut before... stoopid American.

(Something tells me I'm not the only one)

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in