Android to IPhone back to Droid - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 2:16 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Android to IPhone back to Droid

2 years ago I bought my first Android phone. It was the HTC Eris that had only been out for about a month. It took a few days to learn all the "New To Me" stuff this phone did compared to my old phone. You remember phone that you made & received phone calls on & that was it. No texting, streaming music & the camera was a 1.5 mega Pixel

Now fast forward to last Sunday. After 2 years of daily abuse the old Eris just gave up the ghost. Every one that I talk to said "Get the I Phone" It is the best thing since crunchy peanut butter. I went to our local Verizon store & both sales people there that day said I WOULD NOT like the IPhone because I was use to my Droid. Did I Listen? NOOOO I HAD to have the IPhone.

After 2 days of trying to make the IPhone work the way my Droid did I took it Back. Now do not get me wrong It was a GREAT Phone & if all I wanted to do was make Phone calls it would have worked. The Bluetooth that I just bought 3 months ago would not work right with the IPhone. I had 3 different people try to set up my work E-Mail with no luck. Plus 3 or 4 other smaller issues.
I love my Mac computer but it took a LONG time to get use to it & the IPhone was going to be the same way. I do not have the time for that kind of a "Learning" curve while trying to run a business in the busy time of the year.

Yesterday I brought home the New HTC incredible & it lives up to it's name it is incredible. The Sales man helped me set up my EMail & showed me a few new things this phone did that my old Driod did not do & I was on my way home. After dinner I took about 1 1/2 hour to get the phone set up just like my old one was. This way I do NOT have to think about what screen to go to & what buttons to push. Even if some buttons are a little different or in different places this phone is so much more "User" friendly for me.

To All you IPhone users I am NOT Putting down the IPhone Sammie Loves Hers. It Is a GREAT Phone but it was just not for me. If anyone is thinking of upgrading your older Driod Phone Look at the HTC incredible as it is a GREAT phone Plus so much more.

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Re: Android to IPhone back to Droid

I have had my DROID X for almost two years so you know what that means; another DROID!

I was actually thinking like you, try an i Phone, but now I think I will stay with the Google-based DROID!

Only negative about the DROID is that your REALLY have to look for a docking station but you can find a million stations for the i Phone.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 3:48 pm

I just switched from droid to the Samsung galaxy s3. Really like the switch.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 4:00 pm

I bought the original DROID on release day. Now a bionic user, and getting ready to go to the RAZR MAXX! Love me some Android. My last place of employment gave me an iPhone. Good basic phone ... but really? It's at least two-year old technology ... if not more. I just don't "get it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
I just switched from droid to the Samsung galaxy s3. Really like the switch.
But that's still an Android phone.

- Joe
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Sure it is, just needed a switch from Motorola to another brand. I would not get a iPhone. Too small for these eyes now.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #6 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 5:45 pm

I would have bought an iPhone when they first came out, except it only ran on ATT. But i did try one at the Apple store and was just amazed at the touch interface. But the myTouch came out and i jumped on that.

Plus i never bought into the Apple eco system - iTunes, etc.

I've had the HTC Sensation for the past year and its a kick ass phone. I do think the Android universe will eclipse iPhone at some point in the future.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I bought the original DROID on release day. Now a bionic user, and getting ready to go to the RAZR MAXX! Love me some Android. My last place of employment gave me an iPhone. Good basic phone ... but really? It's at least two-year old technology ... if not more. I just don't "get it".

But that's still an Android phone.
Just got the MAXX, love the battery life and ICS, way better than my Samsung Fascinate.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 8:02 pm

AAATT All Apple All The Time here.

Gerhard
post #9 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 6:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
AAATT All Apple All The Time here.

Gerhard

EH?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 6:21 am

Stevie...

No offense. But: as we get older it takes us longer to adapt I just went from an Iphone 3GS to a 4S and I am still adapting...

Have you ever noticed, when someone starts with "No offense" they are about to offend you.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #11 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 7:32 am

I've got a Samsung Infuse as a work phone, an HTC Inspire that belonged to my wife, and an iPhone 4G.

Androids have interested me since they came out, so I was excited when my wife got hers and I got the company phone.

They are different from the iPhone and even different from brand to brand, or at least mine are. Could be because of age. But what I have noticed is that the Androids load a boocoo of apps just on startup and then keep loading them even if the phone is just sitting there. And that eats into the battery life.

My wife had an iPhone and wanted a bigger screen, so she got the HTC. After about a year it started acting up and hated it because the battery wouldn't last a day and we tried everything to increase the battery life. She went back to the iPhone 4S and loves it. I got her HTC to play around with.

A good friend was a diehard iPhone fan and jumped on the Galaxy when it first came out. He loved it, but it started acting weird so he dumped it and went back to the iPhone 4S.

The 1 thing I really don't like about the iPhone is iTunes, but now with OS5 I don't even mess with it. I sync my contacts with Google and my apps to iCloud. Tunes? Eh, really don't use that feature since I have Pandora, and with Linux I can drag music to it if I want to.

Androids are cool, but I like my iPhone.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #12 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 9:28 am Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Doug when I first got my HTC Eris 2 years ago I hated the short battery life till I loaded ADVANCED TASK KILLER . It will turn off any app that is still running in the "Back Ground" that is draining your battery. I have mine set to kill ALL app every time the phone goes into "Sleep" mode. I can get 2 days on a single charge with normal use. I have just gotten into the habit of plugging my phone in every night. Most nights it only charges for an hour or less.
I agree with Pandora I've used it on my laptop for about 5 years & on the Droid from day one.

Stevie Shreeve
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 9:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

I acquired an HTC Incredible two years ago...that phone was the most incredible POS I've ever owned. Fortunately, I had bought the insurance but I replaced the phone 3X during the two years I owned it. I did really like the 'Droid operation system, but similar to Windows, it's only as good as the hardware it's loaded on. In that regard, IMHO Apple products are far superior.

The Incredible had lousy reception with only a couple of places in my house where I could get a decent Verizon signal. My wife's experience with her Incredible (both purchased at the same time) was similar. Just a total lousy product and I will NEVER again own an HTC product. I hope your experience is better than mine.

We finally got fed up with those lousy phones, considered the Samsung Galaxy, but ended up with iPhone 4S. Couldn't be happier...although there was about a two week learning curve to set them up the way we like them. I now get 4 bars in every part of my house and like all my other Apple devices, it just works.

The one thing I really miss about the 'Droid is the Nav system that comes loaded on the phones. It is really outstanding. Apple has announced an upgraded OS that will be launched in the fall, will be compatible with current iPhone 4s and will have a new stand-alone Nav system. Perfect.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #14 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
The one thing I really miss about the 'Droid is the Nav system that comes loaded on the phones. It is really outstanding. Apple has announced an upgraded OS that will be launched in the fall, will be compatible with current iPhone 4s and will have a new stand-alone Nav system. Perfect.
I downloaded the TomTom app and it works really well although it is not free, I think around $50. I used it as my GPS on our Newfoundland trip, I connected via USB to the audio system so I got the voice in my helmet telling me were to go but I did not have the screen because the iPhone was in the glove box, This worked fine for me most of the time except during one complicated intersection were visual confirmation would have clarified the route to take. The app is installed on my phone, my wife's phone and my iPad so split 3 ways it's less than $20 per device.

Gerhard
post #15 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker

Try MapQuest or Waze. Both free.

Marshall, Tx

post #16 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Doug when I first got my HTC Eris 2 years ago I hated the short battery life till I loaded ADVANCED TASK KILLER . It will turn off any app that is still running in the "Back Ground" that is draining your battery. I have mine set to kill ALL app every time the phone goes into "Sleep" mode. I can get 2 days on a single charge with normal use. I have just gotten into the habit of plugging my phone in every night. Most nights it only charges for an hour or less.
I agree with Pandora I've used it on my laptop for about 5 years & on the Droid from day one.
Thanks! I'll try that. FastReboot works pretty well, but it's a manual process.

Marshall, Tx

post #17 of 19 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 11:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Try MapQuest or Waze. Both free.
Thanks for the tip. I did some research right after I got the phone and ended up downloading a free app from MotionX, GPS Drive. It got very positive reviews and it does work well, but I miss the voice destination entry from the 'Droid. My wife bought the Tom Tom app and, again, it works ok, but not as seamless as the 'Droid app.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #18 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 7:29 am

Still confused over what phone to get? Go here to help you make a decision.

Marshall, Tx

post #19 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 10:09 am

If you spend a fortune on text messaging then get the whatsapp messenger. Its a very viable alternative to text messaging for reducing frequent texting between iPhone and Android. I use it with my wife and save about $40 a month on texting.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in