just one of these days - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 4:08 am Thread Starter

just one of these days

There are just some days where ons should resist the motorbike itch and leave the bloody thing standing and take a bus...
Yesterday I fancied going over the border to France for some shopping, why France? You may rightfully ask.
First of all the amount of choice in Swiss supermarkets comperes with French supermarkets like Somalia does to the US, just no contest, secondly Switzerland is three to four times more expensive for the very same product.
Anyway went over the border at St. Loius and bubbled over to E.Leclerc.
Their seafood selection is awesome.
At a lay-by the Flic's were pulling out and giving motorists the evil eye, including yours truly.
I don't really like that 'cos my driving license is still from Kanton St. Gallen and I have been too cheap to convert it to Basel-Town. Could result in a eye-watering fine.
But most of the time the cops just use their smart phones to access the public license plate index on the internet to find out who you are.
http://www.linker.ch/eigenlink/autonummern_index.htm
As anybody can do this it makes for very polite drivers in CH.
Where was I? Got a bit sidetracked.
Ah! licence checked out, my papers checked out, French law says that you must possess a reflective garment that covers 25% of your body, for me, that would be like wearing a dracon shower-curtain for you. But I have one.
A new French law commands you to carry a breathalyzer with you, as the law-abiding pod-person that I am I got me one in the Drogerie-Markt (drug-store to you yanks) and showed to the Flic. He gave me a spot fine for not using a France approved breathalyzer with a French permit.
15 Flipping €uros.
Fuming I shopped and got a approved breathalyzer and went back to CH by way of Germany.
(one of the perks of living in the tri-state area)
A few weeks ago we were talking about the worst thing to drive behind and one Brother mentioned about putting the visor down when driving behind a cattle truck, 'cos that aint rain.
Near the CH'ian border I rode under a skeleton-girder railway bridge, just as a train went overhead pulling older style railway carriages, you know, the ones where the toilet is really just a flap in the floor.
My visor was open.
DO YOU FEEL MY PAIN?
Luckily the windshield caught most of it and I did not get the full ariel strike, just enough for a taste to realize what was going on.
I have been heaving my guts out since yesterday.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 5:31 am

Re: just one of these days

Life in Europe is never boring... I rode for a week in France without the right specification vest, and no breathalyzer, I guess I got lucky. The prices in Switzerland are amazing... why would anyone go on vacation there? Austria and Northern Italy are every bit as beautiful at half price!

The people are much friendlier and the food is better. We changed our vacation plans and avoided most of Switzerland.

My favorite now is Northern Italy. They have the Dolomites, speak German, and are reasonably priced. All of that works for me

You should take a ride to see me in Budapest. I would love to read what you have to say about the Hungarians...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #3 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 11:58 am

After reading this, I may stop complaining about having to wear a helmet in Oregon.

Then again, I may not.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
After reading this, I may stop complaining about having to wear a helmet in Oregon.

Then again, I may not.
Frank, when you quit complaining about anything & everything... well the third sign of the apocalypse is now upon us.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 8:36 pm

How do I file a complaint about this last unprovoked attack?
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 12:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
How do I file a complaint about this last unprovoked attack?
Line forms over there. Press hard officer, four copies.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 4:08 am

Garage

Slammer,

This gives a new meaning to "eau de toilette"

I feel / taste your pain!

I always wondered why I rode with my visor down, (or at least open a crack.) Now I know. I had previously put it down to being a 4 eyed nerd, and did not want a stone to break the lens!

Plenty of Listerine - industrial strength, is recommended!

Take care.
Best regards
Adam!

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in