Handy Lift took a holiday whilst we did... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Handy Lift took a holiday whilst we did...

We just got back from two weeks holiday in SoCal. We all had a nice time despite Suzanne and Annabella coming down ill.

This morning I was in the back yard and noticed that my Handy LIft had disappeared when we were gone. Called the manufacturer to get a current quote on a new one, left a message for the Allstate guy, and about to call my local brothers in blue to report the loss.

Our insurance should cover it minus outs deductible, but we still have to cover that plus the hassle of dealing with it.

On top of that, I was supposed to start my clutch rebuild and 12k interval service this week in preparation for our trip to Wisconsin next month. Going to be fun doing it with the bike on the ground... not!

All of that aside, it could have been worse.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Handy Lift took a holiday whilst we did...

Dang Tony - those things are heavy. Makes me want to lock up my movement dolly so they can't get mine!! But I guess six guys might be able to pick it up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
We just got back from two weeks holiday in SoCal. We all had a nice time despite Suzanne and Annabella coming down ill.

This morning I was in the back yard and noticed that my Handy LIft had disappeared when we were gone. Called the manufacturer to get a current quote on a new one, left a message for the Allstate guy, and about to call my local brothers in blue to report the loss.

Our insurance should cover it minus outs deductible, but we still have to cover that plus the hassle of dealing with it.

On top of that, I was supposed to start my clutch rebuild and 12k interval service this week in preparation for our trip to Wisconsin next month. Going to be fun doing it with the bike on the ground... not!

All of that aside, it could have been worse.
If you don't find a Handy Lift, there is a clone manufactured in the DFW area that is a carbon copy - I guess Handy's patent ran out and that opened the door to cloning!! I've used that DFW one before and it's fine, IMO. Wish I could recall the exact name (may do a search here in a bit) - Victory? Viking? Damn CRS!! At any rate, if you're not able to replace yours right away, come get mine and bring it back when you're thru. Only 5 hours down and back, and I'll help ya load the thang. It's electric, btw - with a dolly, and two side extensions. You'll need a long bed peekup.

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Sorry to hear this Tony, I guess there are bad people everywhere.
So, you'r coming to my state--where in Wisconsin does your trip take you--if you don't mind me asking?
post #5 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
So, you'r coming to my state--where in Wisconsin does your trip take you--if you don't mind me asking?
Tony, sorry about your lift. I'm planning on going to Wisconsin the first week in August with my better half...I also would like to know where you are heading and if you have any tips on any great sights that you may plan on seeing...you can PM me if you want. Thanks...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #6 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Really sorry to hear about this! It's amazing how much forethought goes into doing something like this - if they could only use that process to help people, instead of hurt!

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
If you don't find a Handy Lift, there is a clone manufactured in the DFW area that is a carbon copy - I guess Handy's patent ran out and that opened the door to cloning!! I've used that DFW one before and it's fine, IMO. Wish I could recall the exact name (may do a search here in a bit) - Victory? Viking? Damn CRS!! At any rate, if you're not able to replace yours right away, come get mine and bring it back when you're thru. Only 5 hours down and back, and I'll help ya load the thang. It's electric, btw - with a dolly, and two side extensions. You'll need a long bed peekup.

I'd be careful here Dick. Seems he didnt keep too close an eye on his last one! This just sucks all the way around. Keep an eye on Craigslist within 50 miles around home and you might just be able to locate it.

Hope you find it and get to pin the ears back on the yahoos who stole it.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 7:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Thank you, Dick!

Viking is the name, and I have met the owner, nice guy. IIRC, he was a jet driver for TWA and was furloughed shortly after AA bought them. Was unable to locate him last time I looked, wondering if he moved on to another venture.

Depending on how long insurance takes, I may take you up on your offer if I cannot find a lift closer to home. I have a regular bed pickup and I wonder if it would work if I left the tailgate down for the transport.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
We will be going to my wife's home town of Racine, and then a couple hours north to see her Grandmother up by the lake. Hoping for cool weather, at least relative to here.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #10 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I'd be careful here Dick. Seems he didnt keep too close an eye on his last one! This just sucks all the way around. Keep an eye on Craigslist within 50 miles around home and you might just be able to locate it.

Hope you find it and get to pin the ears back on the yahoos who stole it.

Loren

Good suggestion there re: CraigsList... I think they probably took it for their own use, but will check anyway.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #11 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 8:07 am

Quote:
We will be going to my wife's home town of Racine, and then a couple hours north to see her Grandmother up by the lake. Hoping for cool weather, at least relative to here.
I have a handy lift and only a couple of hours from Racine too.....

Weather is crap shoot, depending on how close to the lake you are it could be cool or hot. Haven't reached a 100 degrees yet this year.

Best of luck on your lift situation.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 9:10 am

Quote:
Thank you, Dick!

Viking is the name, and I have met the owner, nice guy. IIRC, he was a jet driver for TWA and was furloughed shortly after AA bought them. Was unable to locate him last time I looked, wondering if he moved on to another venture.

Depending on how long insurance takes, I may take you up on your offer if I cannot find a lift closer to home. I have a regular bed pickup and I wonder if it would work if I left the tailgate down for the transport.
Yep, it'll work. Mine is a short bed and when I move the lift house-shed-house, I just put a short length 2x4 under the lift to take weight off the tailgate. Yell when you head to Boerne. BTW, my friend has a Viking lift and might have contact info for the seller - I'll check and letchya know.
post #13 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 9:22 am

I see one on Craigslist in Albuquerque - probably not yours, but they are asking $950 for it with extensions - http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/tls/2981574012.html

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #14 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 11:42 am

Tony - check your PM file.
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 20th, 2012, 3:19 am
cws

Garage

That sucks Tony..... not good to "advertise" online when you're away on holiday, unfortunately... There's still a lot of "unregistered" folks who read the posts.
Hope your blue buddies find them!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in