TOM TOM Rider GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 7:48 am Thread Starter

TOM TOM Rider GPS

Anyone use one yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:14 pm

I got a chance to play with one in the airport in Heathrow last summer. All the route programming is directly on the the unit and cannot be done on a PC/Mac and downloaded to the unit. That in itself, took it off my radar. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

TomTom Rider

Thats what a lot of people say, but the question I have is, Why would you have to download your own route into the unit, isn't it supposed to map your route for you?

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 2:01 pm

I have one although I have not had a chance to get much use out of it yet. The smaller screen with the touch screen makes it harder to set the route than with a laptop or PC. I use the stylus from a PDA rather than a finger to program in the route and this is better as it's more accurate than a larger finger.
So far on short routes it works well althought the routes chosen would not necessarily be the one I would choose myself. If you change from its route it quickly recalculates and gives a new route.
The helmet speaker becomes hard to hear above 50 mph and the next test will be with the earphone instead of the speaker to see if this is better.
None of the mounting hardware is designed for the LT but one of the pieces can be mounted directly to the coaming above the instruments to position it just at the edge of normal vision.

For the UK it does have the useful ability to load the positions of speed cameras as POI files with a voice warning for those on the route.
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtdvl
Thats what a lot of people say, but the question I have is, Why would you have to download your own route into the unit, isn't it supposed to map your route for you?
It does but say you want to plan a route through twisty areas, a route that the GPS would not generally take when asked the destination. Unless I'm just looking to get from point A to point B the fastest available way, I always plan my trip routes via the computer and download them into the GPS (BMW Nav II). If I had the GPS route my destinations, I'd generally miss all the fun roads.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Once you take the time and learn how to create routes on your laptop...you'll never go back to letting the GPS route for you. Now I'm not talking about simple, small routing like around town. I'm talking about when you're touring...whether it be for a day, or a week, or a month.
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Suppose I want to go far off the beaten path, I can't necessarily make that change on the unit and have it work especially working with a screen that small. Using the PC and downloading my preferred route, lets me pick exactly where I want to go and make sure that it gets into the GPS correctly. If I get lost and want to get found, then the Tom Tom Rider will probably do in getting me back to civilization. If all I want is to get Point A to Point B by using the major roads, why do I need a GPS? A standard Rand McNally map or a Trip Tick for AAA will do that for me.

Again JM2CW.

And just a thought, this probably should be in the GPS forum.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Once you take the time and learn how to create routes on your laptop...you'll never go back to letting the GPS route for you. Now I'm not talking about simple, small routing like around town. I'm talking about when you're touring...whether it be for a day, or a week, or a month.

Actually, I do use my PC to select some routes, but I doubt I'd use a GPS for this, as printing it out will suffice for me. I'm looking more for something that will get me back to civilization when I let the bike point and get lost. I guess a map will work for both, but who wants to stop and pull out a mp?
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 4:37 am

If you want to set up a route which takes in some roads you would prefer then there is the option to plan an itinery which lets you set up a list of waypoints. This can also be saved and reloaded to be used later.
The smaller screen does make it harder to do this, it is simple enough but just takes longer. You can use addresses, POI's , postcodes (zip codes in the US), points on the map, even your present GPS position if it's a round route.
post #10 of 11 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 5:53 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Suppose I want to go far off the beaten path, I can't necessarily make that change on the unit and have it work especially working with a screen that small. Using the PC and downloading my preferred route, lets me pick exactly where I want to go and make sure that it gets into the GPS correctly. If I get lost and want to get found, then the Tom Tom Rider will probably do in getting me back to civilization. If all I want is to get Point A to Point B by using the major roads, why do I need a GPS? A standard Rand McNally map or a Trip Tick for AAA will do that for me.

Again JM2CW.

And just a thought, this probably should be in the GPS forum.
Steve better yet with the garmin set the route preference to off road .Then create your own route in the twisties on the fly. The garmin draws a straight line to the destination. The rest is up to you.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 6:44 am

Jim,
This months RIDE (uk) magazine has a GPS test.
The Tom Tom Rider came in 4th best.
The testers main complaint was that it didn't give the rider much warning before arriving at a junction or turn off. It also took different routes than the Garmins.
The winner (and the most expensive) by a clear margin was the Garmin 2720.
Simon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in