Non typical pain in a heart attack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Non typical pain in a heart attack

As I had promised, here is the first installment.

Many thanks to all of you interested in my health.

On Saturday Feb 11, I got up feeling full of energy and looking forward to the day as the weatherman promised that it would be windy and that meant that I would be able to sail my model boat for the first time since built.

The new ceramic tile in the family room was ready and I started pushing furniture and rolling the big screen TV back where they were supposed to be and bringing the rest of things to the room. Then, it was time to go to ACE hardware to rent a steamer so that Terry could remove the paper from her bedroom wall and to Home Depot to buy a few things to complete the job in the family room. While at the hardware store and when I lifted the little steamer I felt pain in my right upper chest, shoulder and elbow. Yes, I said right side. It was about a 4-5 on a 10 point pain scale, so I decided that it might be due to the furniture pushing earlier and did not pay any attention to it. On the other hand, by the time we got to Home Depot the pain was gone, although it came back while lifting a ladder.

We arrived home by 11:26, unloaded the car and I started trying to pry the OEM radio off of the BMW to replace it with the one Pete had given me last year (one of those Kenwood with CD/MP3 player and satellite ready jobs). Sitting in the car the pain started again and, as I was going nowhere with the task at hand, I quit and did something else (which I don’t remember what it was). By 12:35 I left home to get my hair cut and (I guess I was not focusing too well) it wasn’t until I got there that I realized I had left my bag with my wallet and everything else at home. I know that I was not feeling good at all but I didn’t really know what to make of it although the upper right chest, right shoulder, right elbow, and right wrist felt rather sore.

Emily came and brought my things and we thought that it would be a good time to go see some patio furniture while I bought some bromine and a new filter for the spa. While at the store the pain started to go up on the scale and it was between 7 and 8. I remember driving using only my left hand as the whole right side was miserable. At home, the pain was becoming unbearable and Emily was scared. She asked me if I was having a heart attack for I was very pale and sweating profusely. I said no, that it was my right shoulder that hurt like hell and will she please bring me an ice bag. I thought that I would lay down and Emily and Pete came back with the ice (which didn’t help at all) and Pete commented that my color was ashen grey, to what Emily replied “at least now he has some color”. In another couple of minutes I asked Emily to take me to an Urgent Care Center.

We arrived at the UCC about 2:55. While Emily parked, I walked to the counter and said “I am Dr. Cabezudo and I need help now”. The woman there gave me a half sheet of paper to fill out and stood there seeing my efforts to produce any kind of lettering that wouldn’t be too shaky to be readable. Fortunately, Emily came in and took over that task while the receptionist sent me to a segregated waiting area. As I later learned, Emily was made to pay $450.00 when they found out that I have no insurance (that is another story). Meanwhile, the doctor came in, put me in a cubicle and asked what the problem was. I told him that my right upper chest, shoulder, elbow and wrist were hurting badly, so he asked the nurse to connect me to the electrocardiograph and do an EKG. In a minute he pronounced “Doc, you have an anterior myocardial infarction and I am sending you to the hospital”.

Will continue.

Ignacio
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Imagine, 2001 K1200 LT Pacific

It's not happier he who has the most but he who needs the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:05 pm

ignacio ... my thoughts are with you, my friend. be strong. i hope you have a speedy and full recovery.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:42 pm

Sorry to hear about this, Ignacio. My prayers are with you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Thanks.

Actually, I'm doing pretty good. In fact, Dr. Hines let me out of the hospital on Feb 15th at 7:00 am and I was at work (part time only because the boss put her foot down) on the 16th at 1:00 pm.

I have been doing that part time (ha,ha. I almost saw as many patients in the afternoon as I was seeing all day because I had my schedule packed really tight) until a week and a half ago when I started full time again.

Dr. Valdes said yesterday that my recovery had been remarkable.

I'll post the continuation of my "adventure".

Ignacio
Imagine, 2001 K1200 LT Pacific

It's not happier he who has the most but he who needs the least.
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:59 pm

Glad you came out of it as well as you did, and QUICKLY too!

Last year I was getting dizzy spells when I was working on my car, laying down under it etc., then getting up fast. That went on for 2-3 weeks, but it was not bad enough for me to stop doing things that seemed to cause it.

One day I was sitting here at my desk at work, and all of a sudden felt a little dizzy and had a little sharp pain in my chest. That scared me, so as soon as the feeling went away I drove to Scripps hospital, about 10 minutes away, and went to urgent care. They immediately started checking me out, did EKG etc, but said they saw nothing wrong. They set me up for a Stress (treadmill) EKG a couple days later, and the nurse running the test said she saw nothing unusual, but called a cardiologist over to look at it. He said it looked pretty normal, but did show a slight sign of a possible problem, so they set me up to come in a couple days later for a stress sonogram.

They took sonograms of my heart resting, put me on the treadmill again, got my heart rate up high, then quickly back down for another sonogram. Then they saw that one quadrant of my heart was not keeping up at high pulse rate.

Back in the next week for an angiogram, sure enough, found a restriction in the anterior descending artery. Stented it right there, went home the next morning, and have felt fine since.

The doctor still says that my "symptoms" that day were not likely related, but sure glad it scared me into checking it out! Caught it before it caused a real problem.

So, if anyone has even a slight feeling that something may be amiss, GET IT CHECKED! You may catch something well before it becomes a REAL problem.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 4:22 pm

Ignacio, I too am glad you are doing better - I hope you continue to improve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in