K1200LT associated with "lemons"?!? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Wink K1200LT associated with "lemons"?!?

Lemon SHARKS, that is...

Hey gang - I just returned from an adrenylin-filled week diving with sharks in the Bahamas, and naturally I took Salsa along with me and photographed her "fraternizing" with a lemon shark!

Interestingly enough, right after I took this photo, another lemon shark picked up my laminated photo of Salsa and swam off chewing on it! But about 10 feet away he spat it out -- I figured the fine German workmanship of the BMW K1200LT was a little to rich for its taste!

Anyway, if you're interested in any of the other shark photos I took on this trip, you can see them at http://www.seattleyates.com/Bahamas%202006.htm

Now it's time to get back on Salsa and do some RIDING!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:15 pm

Incredible!
post #3 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:39 pm

At least he didn't pick you up and spit you out!

Looking forward to harassing you at CCR!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:56 pm

Bruce,
Keep them coming for all of us photo-challenged...

Ignacio
Imagine, 2001 K1200 LT Pacific

It's not happier he who has the most but he who needs the least.
post #5 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:07 pm

Hey, it is real?
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #6 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:10 pm

my friend, you have brass to play with tigers that way. i would've been headed for the boat. GREAT pics.
post #7 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
At least he didn't pick you up and spit you out!

Looking forward to harassing you at CCR!
No, but this 10-12ft tiger shark was considering swimming off with my camera! So I'm not sure anything you do to harass me at CCr will get my blood pressure all that hyped up!

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #8 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
So I'm not sure anything you do to harass me at CCr will get my blood pressure all that hyped up!
Wanna bet?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:00 pm

[QUOTE=Bruce_Yates]Lemon SHARKS, that is...

Hey gang - I just returned from an adrenylin-filled week diving with sharks in the Bahamas, and naturally I took Salsa along with me and photographed her "fraternizing" with a lemon shark![QUOTE=Bruce_Yates]

Heh Bruce, Are the sharks there when you enter the water or are they attracted to the "boxes" that you put in the water or are they just attracted to the divers? The reason I ask is; my wife and I were snorkeling in Hawaii (Maui) last year, and it occured to me when we were out off the beach about a half a mile that I wouldn't know what to do if a shark came by. Just seeing shadows in the water a couple of times spooked me.

Another note; some friends of ours just got back from Australia and told us that in one week there were 3 Tiger shark attacks, a hammerhead attack and a great white attack all in one weekon the Gold Coast. Apparently the most they have had in their history in one week.

And... great shots. Are you shooting with a digital camera?

Cheers, Bill
post #10 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCav
Heh Bruce, Are the sharks there when you enter the water or are they attracted to the "boxes" that you put in the water or are they just attracted to the divers? The reason I ask is; my wife and I were snorkeling in Hawaii (Maui) last year, and it occured to me when we were out off the beach about a half a mile that I wouldn't know what to do if a shark came by. Just seeing shadows in the water a couple of times spooked me.

Another note; some friends of ours just got back from Australia and told us that in one week there were 3 Tiger shark attacks, a hammerhead attack and a great white attack all in one weekon the Gold Coast. Apparently the most they have had in their history in one week.

And... great shots. Are you shooting with a digital camera?

Cheers, Bill
Bill,

First, the easy part. Yes, I'm shooting with a digital camera - a D-SLR. It's a Canon 1Ds Mark II, a big, heavy monster, but technically about as good as it gets.

Regarding your other questions, the sharks are not there when we arrive; they don't show up until the crates with frozen fish parts have been in the water awhile and the "scent" has had time to be carried around. Sharks will normally stay away from boats/people, so it actually takes considerable effort to attract them, and generally takes hours before they're comfortable coming anywhere near divers.

As for shark attacks, that's a bit more complicated. Most shark attacks are believed to be cases of mistaken identity. Sharks generally bite people on the surface (swimmers, snorkelers, surfers, etc.), who look from below like silhouettes of shark prey (turtles, sea lions, or sick/injured animals floating on the surface). Sharks - especially big sharks like tigers and great whites - are opportunistic, and anything floating on the surface is vulnerable and unlikely to be able to see them coming. And while there occasionally seem to be flurries of attacks in beach areas, the incidence is still extremely rare considering the millions of people swimming at beaches (and far less than the chance of getting blindsided on your bike by an idiot cage driver). It is just a more terrifying prospect due to images of "Jaws"-like attacks.

BTW, in general, divers are even less likely to be attacked because they are at the sharks' level in the water and more visible to sharks as something NOT part of their food chain.

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #11 of 19 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:51 pm

Thumbs up

Nothing short of amazing Bruce.
post #12 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 1:07 am

Sharks

Quote:
Bill,

First, the easy part. Yes, I'm shooting with a digital camera - a D-SLR. It's a Canon 1Ds Mark II, a big, heavy monster, but technically about as good as it gets.

Regarding your other questions, the sharks are not there when we arrive; they don't show up until the crates with frozen fish parts have been in the water awhile and the "scent" has had time to be carried around. Sharks will normally stay away from boats/people, so it actually takes considerable effort to attract them, and generally takes hours before they're comfortable coming anywhere near divers.

As for shark attacks, that's a bit more complicated. Most shark attacks are believed to be cases of mistaken identity. Sharks generally bite people on the surface (swimmers, snorkelers, surfers, etc.), who look from below like silhouettes of shark prey (turtles, sea lions, or sick/injured animals floating on the surface). Sharks - especially big sharks like tigers and great whites - are opportunistic, and anything floating on the surface is vulnerable and unlikely to be able to see them coming. And while there occasionally seem to be flurries of attacks in beach areas, the incidence is still extremely rare considering the millions of people swimming at beaches (and far less than the chance of getting blindsided on your bike by an idiot cage driver). It is just a more terrifying prospect due to images of "Jaws"-like attacks.

BTW, in general, divers are even less likely to be attacked because they are at the sharks' level in the water and more visible to sharks as something NOT part of their food chain.
Thanks for the reply.

Bill
post #13 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 7:25 am

Quote:
...Regarding your other questions, the sharks are not there when we arrive; they don't show up until the crates with frozen fish parts have been in the water awhile and the "scent" has had time to be carried around. Sharks will normally stay away from boats/people, so it actually takes considerable effort to attract them, and generally takes hours before they're comfortable coming anywhere near divers.
As for shark attacks, that's a bit more complicated. Most shark attacks are believed to be cases of mistaken identity.
1. Amazing photos. Keep sharing them!

2. I prefer to eliminate all chance of "mistaken identity" and stay out of their turf!

3. No sharks around? Sure, let's bring in crates of frozen fish parts so they know where we are. Yeah, that's the ticket! You're the professional here, and that's cool (really; I'm glad you enjoy doing what you do), but the odds of ME doing that are about the same as me hiking in Alaska with a couple of salmon in my back pocket so I can be sure to attract some grizzlies.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 8:20 am

Awesome photos Bruce! Thanks for sharing!

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #15 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 9:34 am

Keep'em coming, they are enjoyed.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
...the odds of ME doing that are about the same as me hiking in Alaska with a couple of salmon in my back pocket so I can be sure to attract some grizzlies.
Dang! You figured out our secret strategy for getting those big tiger sharks to come close enough for those close-ups!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	James with shark bait.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2698  

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #17 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:56 am

Quote:
Dang! You figured out our secret strategy for getting those big tiger sharks to come close enough for those close-ups!
Good grief, Bruce. Whatsa matter -- sharks just not close enough for you??

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #18 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Good grief, Bruce. Whatsa matter -- sharks just not close enough for you??
I guess I should make clear that that particular photo is a joke. We strapped that fish on that guy's back (momentarily JUST for the photo, NOT to actuallly take into the water!) because the idea of strapping bait to yourself would be so absurd. In fact, every time I look at that photo I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous it would be (although there's probably some idiot out there who would try it!).

Doing that for real in shark-infested waters really would be like putting salmon in your backpack in bear country!

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #19 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Bruce, are ya' crazy?

That is TOO close.

And people think we are crazy for riding thousands of miles on a motorcycle!

Great shots Bruce!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in