Fake BMW Parts? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 27th, 2012, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Question Fake BMW Parts?

I had some LT body parts replaced a few months ago after my LT tried to leap off a lift table before I was ready for it. Anyway... the other day I was looking really closely at some of these parts in the sun, after washing the LT, and I noticed the paint on the replacement parts is a rougher texture than the original body parts. The original paint is SMOOTH, the replacement parts have a light "orange peel"-type texture. In the case of the replaced right pannier lid, the BMW logo and other identifying text are stamped into the case lid, as it is on the (original) left lid, but we're all aware that counterfeiters can match almost anything.

Also, the right case lid has areas of overspray on the inside, as well as areas that aren't painted at all. The inside of the right case looks like they TRIED to paint it the same color as the outside but did a lousy job. The original left case lid is completely different - it's a uniform flat black, unlike the glossy finished black on the outside.

Should I be concerned that there are "fake" parts on this bike? If so, could the dealer be aware of this...?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hschisler; May 27th, 2012 at 11:23 pm. Reason: added more details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 28th, 2012, 10:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Fake BMW Parts?

It would certainly be a good question to ask the dealer. Was the repair paid for by your insurance company? Some insurance companies will allow non-OEM parts in a repair and it is up to you to make sure that doesn't happen (that's called a pissing contest with your insurance company). If you paid for the repair yourself, did you specify OEM parts in the repair estimate? I would certainly hope the dealer didn't quote you OEM parts, then use counterfeit, but it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

I would definitely be asking some questions.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #3 of 12 Old May 28th, 2012, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
It would certainly be a good question to ask the dealer. Was the repair paid for by your insurance company? Some insurance companies will allow non-OEM parts in a repair and it is up to you to make sure that doesn't happen (that's called a pissing contest with your insurance company). If you paid for the repair yourself, did you specify OEM parts in the repair estimate? I would certainly hope the dealer didn't quote you OEM parts, then use counterfeit, but it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

I would definitely be asking some questions.
Interesting... Yes, the repair was paid for by the insurance company; the parts were specified, ordered, and installed by a dealer. Would non-OEM parts still have the BMW logo, part number, and other BMW-esque text stamped into the part? I have a copy of the quote the dealer sent to the insurance company; BMW part numbers were quoted.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 12 Old May 28th, 2012, 12:40 pm

Knew someone who wrecked their van recently,the insurance company paid for the repairs and replacement body parts. The shop picked up used parts from another source, repainted the pieces, put them on and charged as new. Now it is a contest between the body shop, insurance company and owner to get the parts corrected as they were from another wrecked van and not perfect. Such is business now it seems.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #5 of 12 Old May 28th, 2012, 12:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

On older vehicles, it's common for manufacturers to carry one generic part, then have it painted locally at time of installation rather than keeping every possible color part in stock for every year a vehicle was made.

What you're describing sounds more like a poor paint job to me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 12 Old May 28th, 2012, 1:12 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

As Ken said, they were probably painted locally. I had body panels replaced on my RT after I spun out on a freeway on ramp. Ran through some oil that I thought was water. Anyhow, the parts came from BMW unpainted and the dealer had someone shoot them. It definitely was not the quality of the factory paint. Never thought to ask about it before hand.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #7 of 12 Old May 28th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Garage

Cheap, aftermarket replacement parts have been around for many years. Mostly for cars.
In many cases they are only approximations of the original part. I think in England they call them 'pattern parts' as they are made from the pattern of the original.
Sometimes they turn out ok, and sometimes they look quite shabby.
I think I first saw it on cars many years ago for tail light assemblies. As those soared in price it became profitable for aftermarket companies to make cheap approximations.
No idea what you got.
dc
post #8 of 12 Old May 28th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I second that.

Having said that ... if it bothers you do something about it. If it really doesn't ... forget about it.

- Joe
post #9 of 12 Old May 28th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Buy a buffer and buff them suckers out Howard...That's what you do when the paint orange peels like that... The dealer probably shot it from a spray can.....You might want to ask ....

You can do it....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 12 Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Interesting... Yes, the repair was paid for by the insurance company; the parts were specified, ordered, and installed by a dealer. Would non-OEM parts still have the BMW logo, part number, and other BMW-esque text stamped into the part? I have a copy of the quote the dealer sent to the insurance company; BMW part numbers were quoted.
This really does sound more like a poor paint job than use of counterfeit parts. I think it's unlikely one of the Chinese outfits that typically turn out counterfeit automotive body parts would bother with parts for LT's. There just aren't enough LT's out there to warrant the expense.

A counterfeit part is more easily identified by how poorly it fits rather than by how poor the paint job is. I would be talking to both the dealer and your insurance company about the poor paint quality.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 7:55 am

+1
When my dealer had to replace body parts after one of my wrecks, he had to get them painted locally. Fortunately they used a really good paint shop, as the dealer at the time sold both BMW cars and motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
On older vehicles, it's common for manufacturers to carry one generic part, then have it painted locally at time of installation rather than keeping every possible color part in stock for every year a vehicle was made.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Interesting comments - thanks. I may talk with the dealer again, but I may not. The whole operation took months longer than it should have, I did tons more legwork with the insurance company than I should have (doing their job for them, IMHO), there are a couple of niggling points still to be resolved, and I just get the impression they don't give a hoot. We were there just yesterday to talk with them about replacing the chrome strip on the right side pannier - it blew off while I was riding, after they replaced the right side case and that chrome piece. Since they didn't reply to my email I had to stop in and knock on the service manager's door to ask him how they were going to resolve it. They are going to order that part and install it when it's in (it's only a matter of cleaning the side case and sticking it on).

Customer service is still #1 IMO and they ain't doin' it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in