sometimes it sucks to be me. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old May 22nd, 2012, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

sometimes it sucks to be me.

I had just come over the Skyway bridge back into St. Pete when it happened...........

So there I was......... rolling down the exit ramp with a sputtering motorcycle,
of course I caught the red light,
I rolled the LT into the turn lane and tried to restart "her",
she caught and died, yup that obnoxious light on my dash was telling the truth,

I was outta gas, the gas station I was headed for was still a city block away,
fortunately for me there was another one on the opposite corner,
now all I had to do was push the LT through the intersection,

suddenly saving that 10 cents a gallon wasn't important anymore,
as I'm pushing the bike caddy corner I had to stop in the middle of the intersection
while some moron going the same direction cut around in front of me,
another ten seconds and he could have gone behind me but then that would have been courteous!

Up the side walk and onto the grass where I stopped to remove my helmet and jacket,
it's 87 degrees, I'm going uphill, this mutha is heavy and I'm getting old.

I push on over the curb and roll her up to the pump,
nobody is looking my way but I know damn well they're all laughing at me,
6.215 gallons later I put my gear back on
and head on home,

why didn't I just stop earlier!!!
what a dumbass,
sometimes it sucks to be me.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old May 22nd, 2012, 3:52 pm

Re: sometimes it sucks to be me.

Hey you did real good cause you could of drop her......

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 27 Old May 22nd, 2012, 4:26 pm

Hans, You are the only one in the world who has done that! NOT !!!

During my episode I was able to drift across the intersection and roll up to the pump like it was planned.

Glad that it didn't happen to you today. It hit 96 on my way home from the fish tank.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 27 Old May 22nd, 2012, 5:36 pm

I ALMOST had the same experience coming back from CCR in Midway; me and tarheel rider were out in the middle of nowheresville Wyomong, light had been on for a while, cross winds like you wouldn't believe, riding two-up with the wife, exited off where I saw a SMALL gas sign, rode a mile off of I-80 and did not see the station, crossed over the old highway to find that the town had those big concrete baracades blocking off downtown (Founder's Day celebration), luckily there was a woman standing this side of the blocks and I asked her where the gas station was, she said about a 1/4 mile back towards the intersate (now how did I miss that ), stopped and luckily the guy who owned the store was there to help a local who was having car trouble (he said the he was normally closed on Saturdays) and he turned the pumps on; put almost 6.2 gallons in her.

From that point on we stopped every 200 miles for gas!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 Old May 22nd, 2012, 6:13 pm

My adventure was during my 10/10ths ride. Stupid me, really tired, and could not find a place to stay in Junction, TX, the normal halfway point on coast to coast rides. Something was going on there, and everything was unusually full up.

Took off West, forgetting that not only was I going to sleep in Junction, I was going to fuel up too! About 15 miles west of Junction, on I-10, , ran out of gas, about 2:00 AM! Coasted down an exit ramp, in the middle of absolutely NOWHERE, and discovered what Dick and Grif had warned us about, THERE ARE MANY DEER THERE! Saw about three of them by the exit ramp, and they just sat and watched me coast down.

I had a 1 quart MSR bottle of gas in my top case, put that in while listening to more deer walking on the pavement in the dark, got it started again, and headed back East toward the Junction exit. Rode about 40 MPH trying to save fuel, wondering just how far I would have to walk. Got within sight of the exit, saw the lights for the service station on the other side of the highway, and thought I would only have to walk a quarter mile or so, when she quit. Coasted, coasted, and slowly coasted a little more, then just got to the exit which was thankfully downhill. Coasting down I was thinking I would only have to walk a hundred yards or so to the other side of the interstate, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a darkend service station on MY side! Saw the pump panel lights still on, and coasted around the corner and right up to the pump. I don't think I even touched the brakes! Put my card in hopefully, and the pumps were ON!!! Filled up, refilled my trusty MSR bottle, and took off West again. Had to go nearly two hours before finding a place to get a couple hours sleep. That is DESERTED country.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 27 Old May 22nd, 2012, 8:55 pm

Run out of gas? Who could ever do that?

Yeh, I've done it 3 times:
First time, I was in town running errands. Low-fuel light was on, of course. "I'll just run 1 more errand and THEN I'll get gas"... except I ran out first. Managed to coast to a stop right in front of a AAA tow truck, who sold me a gallon of gas. Ding ding ding!

Second time, I was asleep at the wheel (handlebars) on the interstate - a hot summer day, after lunch, and I was probably not really awake. Ran out of gas, coasted to the next exit (50 yards ahead!), down the ramp, and into a gas station right at the exit on my side of the road. Pulled up to the pump like it was my job; onlookers must have thought it was an electric bike because it was so quiet. Ding ding ding!

Third time (just 3 weeks ago) was when the canister failed, damaged the tube thingy inside the gas tank, gas gauge quit working (I didn't know this had happened), ran out of gas on the side of the road, with the fuel gauge still indicating half-full. 2 minutes later a friend and his wife pull up behind me. He helps me push the LT across the road and out of traffic, into a driveway. Called the wife to bring me some gas. Roadside canisterectomy completed, gas added, safely home a few minutes later. Ding ding ding!

I've led a charmed life, running-out-of-gas-wise, but I'm not counting on my luck to hold.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2012, 8:59 am

I am also a member in the club. Trying to go just a "little farther" and not have to stop.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #8 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:54 am

Why not just put it in reverse instead of pushing it?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 27 Old May 24th, 2012, 7:04 am

Well Hans, you are a better man than I. I cannot imagine pushing an LT that far with out dropping it .

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #10 of 27 Old May 24th, 2012, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Why not just put it in reverse instead of pushing it?
I wonder how long the battery would last? Anyone give it a try?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 27 Old May 24th, 2012, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I wonder how long the battery would last? Anyone give it a try?
Hmmm, I wouldn't be too concerned about the battery - BUTT - $586.00 for a new BMW starter motor? Yaow!

(You can't believe how often I do stuff like this - just yesterday I trashed some perfectly good Teflon impregnated fork bearings on my KLR since I tried to force them off WITHOUT taking off the locking collar. Duh. That was a $50.00 mistake.)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 27 Old May 28th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Well, Hans sounds like we are all normal here! I don't know about you--but that's a relief.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #13 of 27 Old May 29th, 2012, 8:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

I got lucky yesterday. Was out on the VTX and noticed the trip meter was at 144. Figured I forgot to reset it when I fueled it up (no gauge). The fuel light came on as I pulled into the station. I know I had plenty of time left, but seeing the warning lamp is too close for me.

post #14 of 27 Old May 29th, 2012, 8:59 am

6.215 gallons! I had no idea I had that much gas in my tank. Now, like a dumb ass, I'll likely push it even further between gas stops. Knowledge can be dangerous.

The wife and I were on the Cherohala a month or so ago. We rode to the end, stopped for a while, then headed back, I looked down at the dash a while later, and "no fuel left"! Not a good feeling. I gingerly rode to the summit, then coasted all the way back down to the end and made it to the gas station there. (Stop laughing at us, Al and Jan Strickland. After all, we're not the couple who "crashed into a mountain".).

I may be old, but that doesn't mean I've gotten any smarter over the years.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #15 of 27 Old May 29th, 2012, 10:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Been there done that... some times it sucks to be any of us

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #16 of 27 Old May 29th, 2012, 11:11 am

I've certainly BTDT on bikes with smaller tanks, but I will surely be kicking myself if I do that on the LT!

and +1 to managing not to drop the top heavy girl while walking her across the street. I'm pretty sure I would not try.
(I've used an empty .5L water bottle to carry gas before - don't let a DOT inspector see you do this ).

and dshealey's save with his MSR bottle is a definite must if going cross country solo One quart may not be much extra fuel, but that's at least 10 less miles you will have to walk.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #17 of 27 Old May 29th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Coasting is the only think that kept you from dragging all of the center stand off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife
6.215 gallons! I had no idea I had that much gas in my tank. Now, like a dumb ass, I'll likely push it even further between gas stops. Knowledge can be dangerous.

The wife and I were on the Cherohala a month or so ago. We rode to the end, stopped for a while, then headed back, I looked down at the dash a while later, and "no fuel left"! Not a good feeling. I gingerly rode to the summit, then coasted all the way back down to the end and made it to the gas station there. (Stop laughing at us, Al and Jan Strickland. After all, we're not the couple who "crashed into a mountain".).

I may be old, but that doesn't mean I've gotten any smarter over the years.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #18 of 27 Old May 30th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
I got lucky yesterday. Was out on the VTX and noticed the trip meter was at 144. Figured I forgot to reset it when I fueled it up (no gauge). The fuel light came on as I pulled into the station. I know I had plenty of time left, but seeing the warning lamp is too close for me.
I did an Irombutt ride last Saturday with a guy who rode a 1300 VTX; dang had to stop every 130 miles so he could get gas, took us 20 hours for 1003 miles!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #19 of 27 Old May 30th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
I did an Irombutt ride last Saturday with a guy who rode a 1300 VTX; dang had to stop every 130 miles so he could get gas, took us 20 hours for 1003 miles!
I'm doing my first SS1000 in 2 weeks; it's a group of 9 or 10 bikes. The leader is planning on stopping every 100 miles because some of the bikes don't have the range we are used to, and to take quick rest breaks. I expect it to take 20 hours, also.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #20 of 27 Old May 31st, 2012, 8:32 am

We call the stuff "push-o-lene" for that very reason!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #21 of 27 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
We call the stuff "push-o-lene" for that very reason!
I like that!

I complain about the price of gas like everybody else,

but, just "pushing" the beast across the street and experiencing "the alternative"

makes me realize just "how cheap it is"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #22 of 27 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 12:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'm doing my first SS1000 in 2 weeks; it's a group of 9 or 10 bikes. The leader is planning on stopping every 100 miles because some of the bikes don't have the range we are used to, and to take quick rest breaks. I expect it to take 20 hours, also.
Make sure that y'all really do understand what "quick" rest breaks are . . .

If you take 20 minutes per stop x 10 stops, that's almost 3 1/2 hours lost. And with 9 or 10 bikes, it can easily take more than 20 minutes per stop . . .

Another choice you have to make is if it's more important to stay with the group the whole way (at the cost of maybe not finishing on time), or if you're OK with splitting off at some point and riding your own ride so that you can finish on time. Either way is fine, as long as you've made your choice ahead of time, and the ride leaders are clear on that.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 27 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 3:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
You just brought him along so you could have a smoke every 130 miles!!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #24 of 27 Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:31 am

I ran out of gas earlier this year on 95 south heading into west palm.

Called the road ranger service and had a gallon of gas in 35 min.

It was hot as heck and I will NOT do that again...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #25 of 27 Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Make sure that y'all really do understand what "quick" rest breaks are . . .

If you take 20 minutes per stop x 10 stops, that's almost 3 1/2 hours lost. And with 9 or 10 bikes, it can easily take more than 20 minutes per stop . . .

Another choice you have to make is if it's more important to stay with the group the whole way (at the cost of maybe not finishing on time), or if you're OK with splitting off at some point and riding your own ride so that you can finish on time. Either way is fine, as long as you've made your choice ahead of time, and the ride leaders are clear on that.
Thanks Ken - good points.

We have a "briefing" next week, a few days before the SS1000. The leader is supposed to lay out the rules, details, etc. Looking forward to what he has to say. His reason for the frequent stops was to allow the short-range bikes to fuel up, and to keep everyone rested and refreshed. I see his point, but...

St. Louis is our halfway point. Local TV media is supposd to be there and do some interviews about why we are doing this event, etc.. That's gonna take a lot longer than 10 minutes. If it gets close time-wise I may peel off and head for home after that. I've already cleared it with the organizer.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #26 of 27 Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You just brought him along so you could have a smoke every 130 miles!!!

LOL! He smoked as well!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #27 of 27 Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 6:42 pm

bikes that only go a 130 miles before needing to refuel are not as comfortable either. so be courteous and allow them the break. else they might be pushing themselves beyond their ability.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in