So much for this riding season - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 4:51 am Thread Starter

So much for this riding season

Thursday went to swap out a couple of circuit breakers.

That evening noticed some discomfort in my groin. When I took a shower later, noticed a bulge where I didn't have one on Wednesday.

Friday went to the doctor, confirmed it, hernia.

Going to see the surgeon next week and see what we can do to fix it.

Well maybe not the whole season but about 6 weeks worth of it.

Happened at work so covered under workman's comp. Guess if there's a silver lining in here, that would be it.

B D R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 5:24 am

Re: So much for this riding season

I had 2 of them Gunny, 1 on each side 2 years apart. Although I was much younger (25) I was up in 1 day, out and about in 3 days, fully recovered in 7 days, don't delay the repair!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 5:26 am

I had one of those about 10 years ago. An inguinal (sp?) hernia. They fixed it arthroscopically with a patch of kevlar cloth. I was walking that day and back to work within 10 days light duty, 2 weeks full duty. The only down side is I have to take an antibiotic just before any dental work. Before having the procedure I put up with it for about 6 months. Just kept pushing it back in. Glad I had the fix. Wish I would have had the other side done as a preventive. Talk to your doc and see if this type of procedure is possible for you. Saves a bunch of time and pain. Good luck, Gunny.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

post #4 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 7:17 am
Enjoy The Ride

I had both sides done about thirty years ago at the Shouldice Hernia Hospital just north of Toronto Canada. My insurance covered 100% of the cost. They did the left side on Tuesday & the right side on Thursday & I was back to work on Monday. They make you exercise right after the surgery by walking back to your room from the basement to the third floor. The steps on each stair are taller than normal. They make you exercise on & off all day. The cafeteria is in the basement so you have to walk down to it three times a day.

One of my co-workers had the same hernia repaired three times and then went to the Shouldice hospital and has had no problems since.

Get ready for some pain Gunny. After the surgery you will know just how much you use all of the muscles.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 8:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Gunny, You must stop moving your M198 around by "yourself"!!

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #6 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 10:41 am

I had my right side done about 10 years ago. I was referred to the best surgeon in Tucson - and we have many with a very high profile medical school - and our aged population. It's a good place to get sick...

I asked him whether to do it arthroscopically or the old way and he said he could do either, but when pushed he said the old school way was still the best, and it was patched with mesh.

I had just a little bit of a "sting" at the incision for a few days afterward - that's it. I think I did some mild pain meds for a day. I wouldn't even classify it as pain.

You do have to allow it 6 weeks to heal before doing any lifting, but I can't see ANY reason why you couldn't be riding with 7-10 days without any discomfort that a couple of Ibuprofen won't take care of. I was.

Once the incision has healed and the stitches come out you are good to go - minus the heavy lifting.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I had one of those about 10 years ago. An inguinal (sp?) hernia. They fixed it arthroscopically with a patch of kevlar cloth. I was walking that day and back to work within 10 days light duty, 2 weeks full duty. The only down side is I have to take an antibiotic just before any dental work. Before having the procedure I put up with it for about 6 months. Just kept pushing it back in. Glad I had the fix. Wish I would have had the other side done as a preventive. Talk to your doc and see if this type of procedure is possible for you. Saves a bunch of time and pain. Good luck, Gunny.
You have to take an antibiotic before any dental work - due to your 10 year old hernia operation?

I'm not a doctor, (but I do play one on TV ) I'm married to an RN, and my best friend is the head of the ER at the largest hospital in Tucson.

They agree the only reason you would take antibiotics before dental work is IF you were having major work done that could cause massive bleeding, tissue damage and IF you had heart issues and could be at risk for bacterial endocarditis.

You would need to take them for several days before the work for them to be effective - and most likely would need to continue them for several days afterward - depending on what was prescribed.

Me, I just drink whiskey and bite the bullet.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Get it done laparoscopically, minimally invasive, and back to a normal routine sooner.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #9 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Seems like everyone has their hernia story.....

Only pain I remember is after surgery, having to sneeze and the pain that would follow. A trick I learned was to blow my nose at any indication of a sneeze. It would prevent the sneeze and the pain to follow...

Listen to your doctor, we all just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 18 Old May 6th, 2012, 6:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Get it done laparoscopically, minimally invasive, and back to a normal routine sooner.
Dr Singh is going to do exactly that.

B D R
post #11 of 18 Old May 6th, 2012, 7:24 am

Sorry to hear of your problem Gunny. get all healed up and just make damn sure that you don't drop the LT and have to pick it up.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #12 of 18 Old May 9th, 2012, 8:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had one done 55 years ago.. I was 5 at the time & ask my mom what is this lump.. I was in the hospital a full week..Racing wheelchairs with a nether kid. Now i think it is like a landry in by10 out by 2.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #13 of 18 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Damn, that was some big breakers. Good luck with the surgery.

post #14 of 18 Old May 19th, 2012, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

These breakers weigh 280 pounds.

As this happened at work, workman's comp involved. What a mess that gets.

In the middle of a battle with the doctor's office girl. Says I need to fill out a Department of Labor form, will cost me $15. Told her OK, give me the form and I'll fill it out, no, we don't have the form and an outside vendor has to do that. Told her that sounds like a racket, where do I get the form. No, not a racket, doctor next door charges $50 to do this, your getting a bargain costs to get this form. Sounds like a racket to me and me, world famous for cutting off my nose to spite my face take to arguing about this. Got to the point that she told me if I didn't pay the $15 they wouldn't do the surgery. Told her fine, I'll find another doctor. Had a whole bunch of phone messages waiting for me when I got home. The surgeon, the office manager, HR rep from work. I win, kind of, someone is going to cover the $15. Point of this is that it may be legit but got all the ear mark of a racket. They even have a sign (well had a sign) in English and Spanish indicating that the fee for this form must be paid for in cash, check and credit cards not accepted.

Surgery scheduled for the 25th.

Surgeon indicates he can't do it laproscopically due to scar tissue from previous surgery (knife wounds) in the area.

B D R
post #15 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2012, 2:43 am

Best wishes and speedy recovery. I'm glad you are getting laperscopic. I had an abdominal hernia. I was scheduled for laperscopic but 3 days before I got hit by that Rave4 in '05. By the time I was able to get it done they had to do it the old way. Don't do it the old way. Too much time to heal. When I go to the dentist I take 4 amoxicillin 1 hour before my appointment because of the titanium rods in my left leg from that '05 accident. I have rods and plates in my neck from the '08 accident. The amoxicillian is just a precaution. Not a big deal.

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)

Last edited by tazz56; May 22nd, 2012 at 2:51 am. Reason: additional info
post #16 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2012, 7:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You have to take an antibiotic before any dental work - due to your 10 year old hernia operation?

I'm not a doctor, (but I do play one on TV ) I'm married to an RN, and my best friend is the head of the ER at the largest hospital in Tucson.

They agree the only reason you would take antibiotics before dental work is IF you were having major work done that could cause massive bleeding, tissue damage and IF you had heart issues and could be at risk for bacterial endocarditis.

You would need to take them for several days before the work for them to be effective - and most likely would need to continue them for several days afterward - depending on what was prescribed.

Me, I just drink whiskey and bite the bullet.
Ron,

Stick to the whiskey advice. I am a doctor, retired dentist, and the AAOS and AHA recommend 2 grams of Amoxicillin 1 hour prior to any dental procedure which could create blood bacteremias which have a rare chance of infecting artificial joints, heart valves, etc. This would include oral surgery as well as scaling/root planning which is often done as part of a routine dental hygiene prophylaxis appointment. Even whiskey can't kill all the nasty bacteria in the mouth.

Ride safe,

Bruce
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I had both sides done about thirty years ago at the Shouldice Hernia Hospital just north of Toronto Canada. My insurance covered 100% of the cost. They did the left side on Tuesday & the right side on Thursday & I was back to work on Monday. They make you exercise right after the surgery by walking back to your room from the basement to the third floor. The steps on each stair are taller than normal. They make you exercise on & off all day. The cafeteria is in the basement so you have to walk down to it three times a day.
Dave,

IS this why some are against a single payer medical system like in Canada?

No elevators in the hosptals, walk to get your crappy hospital food?

Man, I am gonna have to write someone about this..

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #18 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:55 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
Dave,

IS this why some are against a single payer medical system like in Canada?

No elevators in the hosptals, walk to get your crappy hospital food?

Man, I am gonna have to write someone about this..
And on top of all that they didn't give us any pain killers either . I was at first until they told us the pain would determine how soon and how much work you could do. I went back to work on monday. Using a manual 50 ton press to change axle bearings was the hardest thing for me to do for about a month.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in