Markel Insurance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

Markel Insurance

BEWARE, I received a renewal notice from Markel Insurance with a letter from LexisNexis Risk Assets saying my rates will be going up. Never a claim 58 years old Why? No answer. May be one of four..Maybe?

% of open oil company accounts I have one Chevron
# of accounts opened in last 24 months Financed new GTL

Credit score of 842

Oh well I vented I am done

P.S. Went back to Geico for a third of the cost

Sounds like Merkel might be wanting to get out of the motorcycle insurance business.

Just my 2-cents worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old May 1st, 2012, 7:43 am

Re: Markel Insurance

I had Progressive for 4 years and when they sent the renewal they talked about all the discounts I was getting. I got on line and found GEICO was half the cost. When I called Progressive to cancel my policy they asked why and I told them. Then they offered to match GEICO's rate if I stayed. Told them they should have given me the lowest possible rate in the first place..........told them what they could do with their offer.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #3 of 19 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:27 am

+1 on Geico!

2006 K LT1200 Ridin'
2007 K GT1200 Sold
2005 ST 1100 Sold
1985 V65 1000 Magna Sold
1973 CB 750 4 Sold
1966 305 SuperHawk Sold

post #4 of 19 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:31 am

+2 Geico!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #5 of 19 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Read the fine print carefully.

Geico has a habit of adding exclusion clauses in that can deny your coverage under certain conditions. For example, in some states, Geico can deny your coverage if you happen to ride more than 500 miles in one day. For most people that won't matter, but wouldn't it suck to have a problem at the end of a nice, long day ride, only to have your insurance completely deny coverage?

Remember, an insurance company's whole purpose is to take in as much money as possible, then pay out as little as possible. Some do it by raising up-front premiums, and some do it by severely limiting any payouts. Either way, their main concern is not you, but rather your cash flow to them . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 19 Old May 1st, 2012, 11:54 am

Re: Markel Insurance Insurance Warning!!! Take Notice Please!

I just wanted to make everyone aware of a situation I recently encountered while being insured with Markel Insurance. I was out on a test ride on a new Triumph Bonneville. BTW, I currently ride a 2012 GTL. Anyway, I was involved in an accident which totaled the Bonneville. Markel DOES NOT COVER YOU ON ANY OTHER BIKE THEN THE ONE ON YOUR POLICY! I was amazed at this and always thought I'd be covered no matter what bike I was on. Well not so. So I did a survey and found out that the only two companies that will cover you on other bikes you ride other then your own is Progressive and Allstate. They both cover you on test rides, borrowed bikes and bike rentals. Geico, GMAC, State Farm, Formost and most other insurance companies I checked do not cover you on any other bike but your own which is specifically stated on your policy endorsement. Of course I live in Colorado and other states may be different. I would suggest everyone check with their insurance company no matter who you have or where you live and find out for sure if they cover you on test rides and other bikes. Do yourself a favor before you have an unfortunate incidence and have a huge out of pocket payment as I did. Also, don't just take the word of a salesman for the insurance company, chances are they really don't know. Do yourself a big favor and take the time to speak to a supervisor or underwriter and get a definitive answer. Some of the companies I checked with, this is what I needed to do to get the real answer. Good luck to all and let me know how you all make out.
post #7 of 19 Old May 1st, 2012, 12:58 pm

lionsgate,

Thanks for the post. Those covered by the companies you list (that don't cover you on a motorcycle other than the one listed in your policy) should be aware of that. They should also know that those policies will often exclude any rider on the motorcycle listed on the policy if the other rider is not named on the policy (which could happen when the bike is being test ridden when it is being sold).

I have had Progressive for twenty plus years. I had one claim for a bike that was totaled while it was being ridden by someone else. The bike was listed on the policy but, of course, not the other rider.. Progressive promptly paid the claim and did not raise my premiums.

The next time there is a thread about much insurance coverage costs and how much someone saved by insuring their bike through "Brand X", remember that every policy is different.

westcott360
Frisco, Texas
2008 BMW R1200RT (Titan Silver)
post #8 of 19 Old May 1st, 2012, 1:13 pm

I had Progressive for three years. In years two and three they reduced my renewal premium. Then suddendly for the year four renewal they wanted a hefty increase. No moving violations and no accidents or claims of any kind. I changed to Rider. Great policy terms and price (less than Progressive was). We'll see. I wanted to move to Geico, but they wanted three times as much for the same coverages and limits. Seems like these companies are all over the place in pricing.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #9 of 19 Old May 1st, 2012, 2:18 pm

About GEICO and their 500 mile limit, I believe others here have looked into it deeper or read their policy and it refers to more then 500 miles a day in "a contest".

I just got my renewal from Foremost. $112.00 annual premium for full coverage (with a $250 deductible and increased coverage limits). My BMWMOA renewal had a flier about Markel and a free gift. I figured I'd call. Quote was $134.00 for full coverage with a $500 deductible and the lower (normal) coverage limits. The Markel website also didn't have a place for MOA's redemption code for the gift so I had to call. Four weeks and waiting for my "gift". I got my Foremost renewal 3 weeks after getting my Markel quote. Guess I'm sticking with Foremost.

I got Foremost last year after getting a $300.00 renewal from Geico. Geico admitted they couldn't match or beat Foremost. Got to give them credit for being honest though.

UPDATE! I just pulled up my Markel quote and changed the figures to match my current Foremost policy. The Markel quote jumped to $275.00!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Last edited by blueknightga6; May 1st, 2012 at 2:32 pm.
post #10 of 19 Old May 1st, 2012, 4:16 pm

The issue and warning I was pointing out didn't have to do with who's insurance was cheaper but that people would be well served to check with their insurance carrier to see if they are covered while test riding motorcycles at dealers, renting a bike or borrowing a bike. Most people I've spoken to on this subject seemed to think they were covered on test rides, etc. But in fact when they checked with their insurance carrier they found out they weren't covered for anything. That if they went on a test ride or borrow a bike and damaged it they would have to pay for that damage. PUT SIMPLY THEY WERE'NT COVERED FOR ANYTHING!
post #11 of 19 Old May 2nd, 2012, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking04
BEWARE, I received a renewal notice from Markel Insurance with a letter from LexisNexis Risk Assets saying my rates will be going up. Never a claim 58 years old Why? No answer. May be one of four..Maybe?

% of open oil company accounts I have one Chevron
# of accounts opened in last 24 months Financed new GTL

Credit score of 842

Oh well I vented I am done

P.S. Went back to Geico for a third of the cost

Sounds like Merkel might be wanting to get out of the motorcycle insurance business.

Just my 2-cents worth.
Being in the 800 + club myself from all three I'm impressed you have an 842.

I thought the highest you can go is 840.

Unless.... hey, you're not a member of the Federal Reserve Board and can print your own money - are you??

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 19 Old May 2nd, 2012, 3:13 pm

$112.00 per YEAR? That does not even make sense. Do you have full coverage?

I have seen nothing ever even close to $112 or $134 per year for full coverage and know no one payign thsi little for coverage.
What gives?

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #13 of 19 Old May 2nd, 2012, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Being in the 800 + club myself from all three I'm impressed you have an 842.

I thought the highest you can go is 840.

Unless.... hey, you're not a member of the Federal Reserve Board and can print your own money - are you??

It depends on the Credit Reporting Agency because they all use varying models. The maximum FICO score is 850. The maximum VantageScore (a new score now used by Experian, among others) is 990.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #14 of 19 Old May 2nd, 2012, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
It depends on the Credit Reporting Agency because they all use varying models. The maximum FICO score is 850. The maximum VantageScore (a new score now used by Experian, among others) is 990.
I suddenly feel so inadequate.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 19 Old May 2nd, 2012, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
$112.00 per YEAR? That does not even make sense. Do you have full coverage?

I have seen nothing ever even close to $112 or $134 per year for full coverage and know no one payign thsi little for coverage.
What gives?
That's about what I pay, and it includes collision, comprehensive, and road side assistance.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #16 of 19 Old May 3rd, 2012, 5:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hey Ron,
Time to consider a little blue pill?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #17 of 19 Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:38 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Hey Ron,
Time to consider a little blue pill?
Or a Corbin seat . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 19 Old May 3rd, 2012, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Or a Corbin seat . . .
I sent Mike a note asking if I could license his technology.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 3rd, 2012 at 9:27 pm.
post #19 of 19 Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgate
The issue and warning I was pointing out didn't have to do with who's insurance was cheaper but that people would be well served to check with their insurance carrier to see if they are covered while test riding motorcycles at dealers, renting a bike or borrowing a bike. Most people I've spoken to on this subject seemed to think they were covered on test rides, etc. But in fact when they checked with their insurance carrier they found out they weren't covered for anything. That if they went on a test ride or borrow a bike and damaged it they would have to pay for that damage. PUT SIMPLY THEY WERE'NT COVERED FOR ANYTHING!
Yep.

I have Nationwide insurance on my LT. When I was doing a test ride of a K1600 GTL last year I called my agent to see what the story was, regarding coverage. They said I am covered while someone else rides my bike, as long as they have my permission. This is called “permissive use”. However, I do not have coverage when I ride anyone else's bike, including a dealership's service loaner, a dealership's demo bike, or a friend's bike. What??! They said the other owner (dealership or friend) needs to have permissive use language in their policy. I asked about additional endorsements that WOULD cover me for riding any other bike, as I ride a service loaner a few times each year. They never called back.

I think it's time to investigate other insurance companies for my bike.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in