Mathematics of Eternity Prove The Universe Must Have Had A Beginning - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 6:28 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Mathematics of Eternity Prove The Universe Must Have Had A Beginning

I knew this instinctively . . . I think

Clicky-Clicky

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 7:27 am

Re: Mathematics of Eternity Prove The Universe Must Have Had A Beginning

...... so if it had to start, what was before the start?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 9:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
...... so if it had to start, what was before the start?
Dan, the scientific community views the beginning of the universe very similarly to the beginning of life. Since there is a void of information any hypothesis is worthy of discussion with one exception. To separate themselves from religion, they have excluded discussion of a supreme being of any type. While this may seem harmless, it closes an avenue of investigation. It's a mystery! Every avenue should be explored.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 11:44 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Yes, every avenue should be investigated in the search for verifiable truth. Science comes up with a hypothesis based on known conditions and then attempts to prove or disprove that hypothesis with standardized, repeatable testing. Sometimes they get it right, and sometimes they get it wrong, but every time we learn a little bit more about the world around us in a solid, repeatable, verifiable way.

Religion is discounted because there is no search for verifiable proof. There is just belief, and you can't prove or disprove belief. That's fine, if you want to believe in something unprovable, but it doesn't make it truth, no matter how much you may believe in it.

Find some sort of solid proof of a supreme being, any sort of proof at all, and we can talk. Or come up with a reasonable, repeatable test based on previously known and verifiable facts and then we might have something to discuss. But "It must be that way because the universe is so complex" or "They wrote it down in an ancient scroll" still falls under belief, and thus provides no factual content whatsoever.

As to the original article, it's an interesting theory, but like all theories about the ultimate origin of the universe we're simply not in a position to be able to see enough to understand what's really going on.

To paraphrase Douglas Adams, it's like asking a tea-leaf to explain the entire history of the East India Company . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Well I don't know about all that stuff, but I've been watching the scientific documentary on TV, call "The Big Bang Theory", and that all makes sense to me!!!!
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ken, I agree with your first two statements and then you jumped the shark. What's known is known. All else is assumption or faith. By definition, hypothesis is based on belief. Back to the original post and Dan's question. There appears to have been a beginning to this universe. What came before is unknown. We can arrive at an understanding either by exploring one possibility or by exploring them all. I chose all.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 4:39 pm

That's what the Mayans were talking about... The universe is going to re-bang on December 21st or whatever day it is....

Well, it should be painless....

Here's to finding out the truth and becoming non existent in the same microsecond...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 5:38 pm

Well, duh. Everyone knows U(a) is mostly negative where 0.5 <= a <= 1.5. Only at higher values of a does U(a) become an asymptote.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 6:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
What's known is known. All else is assumption or faith.
True, but the problem occurs when people confuse faith with fact. They are not equal.

A hypothesis is based on what is already known, and attempts to expand that knowledge further. And it is something that is able to be tested in repeatable, verifiable ways.

Faith is just belief, nothing more. It cannot be tested, therefore it cannot be proven. It simply is what it is.

For some folks, that's enough. But again, that doesn't make it true.

The original article postulates that there must be a beginning to the universe, based on some mathematical models. That doesn't make it true, it just makes it an interesting hypothesis. Until it can be tested and verified, it is no more true than any other unproven hypothesis or belief.

Mankind is naturally curious about himself and his surroundings, which is a good thing. But some things, we simply aren't in a position to know. So you either accept that, or you make up a likely-sounding story about it, or you keep searching . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Benny, I think you were assuming that I was relying on something non scientific. That wasn't the case.

I was only saying that if there is a beginning, what is behind the beginning? It really rhetorical because I don't think we will ever get the answer in my lifetime. It really hurts to think to hard about it.

To me, it is like one of those infinite loops. There is no start or finish, it just goes...... but then, there still has to be something behind the start! and there we go again.... The big bang seems to make the most sense, but then, what was there before the big bang?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 7:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Maybe it wasn't one big bang, but a never-ending series of expansions and contractions.

But you're right, we'll just never know.

Might as well ask a starfish what started the waves . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 8:22 pm

"but then, what was there before the big bang?"

That, and WHO lit the fuse?
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 8:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Benny, I think you were assuming that I was relying on something non scientific. That wasn't the case.

I was only saying that if there is a beginning, what is behind the beginning? It really rhetorical because I don't think we will ever get the answer in my lifetime. It really hurts to think to hard about it.

To me, it is like one of those infinite loops. There is no start or finish, it just goes...... but then, there still has to be something behind the start! and there we go again.... The big bang seems to make the most sense, but then, what was there before the big bang?
Sorry if I read too much into your post, Dan.
Ken, since a line is a circle of infinite radius, having an event on the timeline that creates something (universe, life, solar system, etc.) makes the timeline for that entity a ray. Over history may things that were thought to be infinite have been determined to have a beginning and, in some cases, an end. I personally think it's cool to explore the possibilities and consider any potential explanation, no matter how remote.

My point (erroneously in support of Dan ) was that when we close our minds to any possible explanation, we do ourselves a scientific disservice.

Benny C. (Central Texas)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in