Leaving Neutral Out Of Your Routine - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Leaving Neutral Out Of Your Routine

A recent post has me wondering about what one might consider the proper use of the clutch and transmission...

Another user posted a picture of his transmission drain plug and it had quite a bit of metal on it... Upon inquiry I found out that he used neutral quite a bit while riding..

Putting the bike into neutral and disengaging the clutch causes the input shaft and it's associated gears to spin.. Then when the clutch is pulled in and the gearshift depressed, Quite a bit of grinding goes on as the flat faced gears slam themselves into alignment...

The other scenario is when the bike is put into neutral and the input shaft is not spinning.. Then there is at least a 50% chance that the gears are not in sync.. So you have to let out on the clutch a little while depressing the gear shift to get the bike into gear....

By eliminating neutral in your riding routine. You almost completely eliminate the situation where bad grinding of the gears occurs because everything is not moving at the same time...

The only time my bikes are in neutral is when they're being pushed around on the shop floor to be serviced. OR when they're being tuned... Otherwise the bike remains in first gear when not running or moving... I never use neutral and I don't get a lot of fuzz on my transmission drain plug....

Think about it and tell me what you think...

John

Think about it and let me know what you think..

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 2:16 pm

Re: Leaving Neutral Out Of Your Routine

The grinding would also happen every time we change gears?

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 2:35 pm

John, Interesting thought. I usually do my own maintenance on my bikes. I use neutral frequently and have never (so far ) had a transmission problem or anything other than the normal "fuzz" on the drain plug. My expectation is that the transmission is designed to be put in neutral just as it is designed to be put into gear. Perhaps some of the more technical members can shed light on this. For my part, if there was excessive metal on the drain plug, I would assume there was a defect in the transmission that was not related to using neutral.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 2:48 pm

Just a thought...what does riding in neutral do in regard to splash lubrication in the gearbox?

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 4:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Just a thought...what does riding in neutral do in regard to splash
lubrication in the gearbox?

I guess that would depend on what kind of oil you are using Ron !!

I don't think you could ride far enough in neutral to affect lubrication...

Yes the clunk between shifts is the gears grinding.. But since everything is spinning it's minimized....I guess BMW's transmissions aren't "Syncro Mesh"..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; Apr 22nd, 2012 at 5:10 pm.
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 6:09 am

An interesting connection, maybe!

I hardly ever use N either. Sometimes when the light is long and I feel like I'm in a safe location, I will slip it into N, but that is rare. In 50,000 miles, (changed 3 main fluids in the K1200LT every 6,000 miles) my magnet plug never had anything on it except a little fuzz and the RD fluid always seemed to look like new.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 6:55 am

In neutral, engage clutch which spins the shaft and then shift normally into first or reverse. Works in all my cars and the LT.
Never had a transmission failure in 55 years of driving. Has anyone tried shifting when underway by matching rpms without using the clutch? It can be done gently and without gear clashing.
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 9:47 am

Shifting without the clutch is all in matching the RPM with the speed of the next gear. I sometimes float the tranny. Like when I'm flipping some asshole off that's waving at me and It's for the next gear
When I was real young we would race motocross with European takeoffs,( left hand on helmet till the gate drops then clutch and gear) never tore a tranny out.Once again it's all in speed match.
There's alwaya two ways to shift, right way and no damage, or wrong way and tear things up.
Learn to match the speed.
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:26 am

Click and Clack recommend leaving your car's automatic transmission in neutral when sitting at stop lights. They claim it will dramatically extend the life of the tranny.

On my bikes I ALWAYS shift to neutral just before a full stop. Then watch my rear view mirrors for cell phone talkers and alternately keep my eyes moving for the rest of cross traffic and traffic lights. I always know when the light is going to change to green so shift back into gear a second or two in advance.

I feel most vulnerable sitting at intersections - you are a sitting duck - so I am intensely focused on what is going on around me. So much that when riding with others I tell them in advance I'm not interested in the typical yakking back and forth while waiting...

I have no idea if this is "accepted" riding practice but it's worked for me for a few decades... and after my first 140K I have normal fuzz on my plug. (and my noggin')

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in