Are you a lone wolf? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Are you a lone wolf?

I like riding with a group of safe and fun riders as much as the next guy. Heck, the few times I went cross country were some of the best cycling memories I have. Canyon carving with others, seeing their bikes lean into the twisties, communicating trough the the CB radios, and of course beers at the motel or campsite. All excellent parts of biking life I love... but ... those solo rides ... those last minute detours... those times when switching off the communications and tunes is the best music to my ears. Those moments just me and machine... those are the ones I live for. Am I crazy or are there others out there with this sick need to just tell friends I'll meet you there when I get there ... and head off by myself????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:05 pm

Yes, There are many times when I enjoy the loney open road. Here is a link to a short trip report from a few years ago about just that. Report

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:05 pm

I'm a loner on two wheels. Always have been; always will.

I get a big kick out of the pack mentality - if motorcyclists are such individualists, why do so many of them seem to ride together??!!

Seriously, though, how in God's name could you enjoy a lengthy ride if you've got to worry about all the little nits that come up in a group ride. I couldn't. I wouldn't consider more than three people if we were talking about a cross-country trip.

post #4 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:06 pm

Lone Wolf

It is the very reason I bought the K1200LT from the bikes I was considering buying. I enjoy the group riding, however, it is those times of needing "Cycle Therapy" that I truly enjoy...
post #5 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:17 pm

Cool

I agree with you Chris, although I do like small groups > 10. So far a majority of our rides are just the wife and I, 2 up on our LT.

Large groups more than 10 bikes are just not fun to me, it seems when we get in the twisties they slow down. The last large group ride, I was last in line so I would slow in the straights and speed through the twisties, well I did not know that there was another group behind us that was watching me and at the stop the leaders in the group sought me out to see what kind of bike I was on cause "they had not seen anyone ride like that", I must say I had a smile on my face after I came up with that plan.

Anyway, I got seperated from the group, so I used the GPS to find another way home and had a blast, I found a river road, that was twisty and hilly and I really had a smile on my face then, my friends laughed at me cause "I got LOST with a GPS" only they never knew I did it on purpose! Mostly cause I was just bored. I have to adjust my attitude when I ride in a group though.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:27 pm

You are certainly not alone! I did enjoy SMALL group rides, no more than 5- 6 bikes. I did do a couple larger ones, but those were usually frustrating, either too slow, stopped to often, or just had no purpose. My most memorable times though are the thousands of miles I rode around the country all alone on the road, just me and the bike, doing exactly what I wanted to do at any one time. (except the crashes of course).

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:40 pm

Lone wolf and my Lady

I got me a good woman. Loves to ride with me and take trips. We are heading to Montana from Kentucky in June. Just me and her again and of course a bottle of Jack for the evening relaxation. Never done a long trip with a bunch of other riders other than riding a couple of hundred miles to a Harley rally (not my style). Our longest trip so far was Florida. Just me and Maria and the open road on our bike. It don't get no better than that.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #8 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:48 pm

since there are so many lone wolves (myself included), does that make us a pack unto ourselves?

;-)
post #9 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
I got me a good woman. Loves to ride with me and take trips. We are heading to Montana from Kentucky in June. Just me and her again and of course a bottle of Jack for the evening relaxation. Never done a long trip with a bunch of other riders other than riding a couple of hundred miles to a Harley rally (not my style). Our longest trip so far was Florida. Just me and Maria and the open road on our bike. It don't get no better than that.
marc ... what part of june? my wife and i will be in glacier national park in late may/early june.

sorry to hijack ...
post #10 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 1:51 pm
Ted

....or to borrow from George Thorogood, "When I ride alone, I prefer to be by myself..."

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #11 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 2:08 pm

I enjoy socializing during a trip ---- at service stations, restaurants, motel parking lots, camp-sites etc. That is the beauty of the LT - it's very easy to strike up a conversation (and sometimes too easy ) with almost any-one you run across if you feel so inclined.

When my wheels are turning I prefer to be by myself. I don't like the idea of baby-sitting or being baby-sat. It gives me the freedom to travel where the wind takes me. (I have had days when I have gone as little as 50 miles, saw something interesting and stayed a week and other days when 800 miles just felt good)
My family understands and accepts the fact that I have 3 rules for travel:
1- I have no idea where I'm going. (if I reach water that tastes salty I turn right ! )
2 - I have no idea when I will be back ( I will call at least once a week)
3 - No Budget ( I won't break the bank but I will certainly try to spend as much of the kid's inheritance as possible !)
post #12 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 2:08 pm

Modern Day Cowboys

I often compare motorcycle riders to cowboys and our bikes to horses. There is something self reliant and spritual about "going it alone" or almost alone. And certainly riders are independent souls. I can't explain the "biker gang" mentality and I don't include that kind of rider in the above explaination.
post #13 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 3:23 pm

I only ride with FOUR guys at a time. Me . . . myself . . . I . . . & God! That's IT!!!

(Besides...most others can't keep up.)
post #14 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 4:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Don't know, but hope to find out...

Haven't been riding long enough (started late last summer) to do any group rides, other than:

1. 2 rides with 2 other guys from church. One guy rides a Honda Goldwing Interstate; other fellow rides a Yamaha/Star cruiser. Both were local rides.
2. 2 rides with a friend from work. He has a Big Dog and a Harley Sportster. Both local rides.
3. being "intercepted" by a way, way cool "pack" of 5 Harley thunderers who came up behind me on a local state route. Because of traffic they weren't able to pass me. They were awesome as they rode in this perfect five-point formation, following me into town. I was on my little Honda 600 at the time, which I had for a month before buying the LT. I was laughing out loud as we came thundering into town with me in the front. You had to see it. Mutt and Jeff.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 4:15 pm

Cool Real Lone Wolves won't reply...

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #16 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 4:30 pm

In a few months, you'll be running over the noisy buggers...

Here's a couple of suggestions: Check out one of your local BMW clubs at MOA: http://www.bmwmoa.org/about/clubs/cl...searchstate=OH

Here you should be able to find local rides with fellow beemer owners who will often ride the same way you will when you find your natural riding style on the LT. You will find just a few that ride in a manner thats comfortable to you, regardless of speed. A few is all you need.

You might also put out your own ride schedule in your region on this list.

Above all, ride YOUR ride only regardless if alone or with a cast of thousands.

Have fun!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #17 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 5:58 pm

Motorcycling... it's this thing we do alone, together.

I can count on one hand the times I've ridden in a group. It's fun for the first half hour, then
post #18 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 6:42 pm

Talking Our gang....

Dean and I usually ride just the two of us - that way we can take turns being stupid and have no witnesses! Groups are ok for a little while, but not for the long haul.
post #19 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 7:34 pm

In all my years of riding I've only rode distance with other riders once or twice..

Don't know why but I just alway ride alone,,,, the wife don't ride so its just me a couple of twenties and no map..........regards Pete
post #20 of 34 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:11 am

moi Anti social -- Don't play well with others --

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #21 of 34 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:37 am

I think the strangest aspect of this whole thing is . . . I'd bet most of us are basically a "people persons". I like people, in general. I love meeting new people, being with friends, talking to people, riding to where there will be people. But when I ride . . . I want to ride ALONE. Go figure...
post #22 of 34 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 2:47 pm

Nicely put Dave, I concur

Kenn
post #23 of 34 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 4:48 pm

I ride alone, that's why I wave.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #24 of 34 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 5:35 pm

Riding alone is the best for me. Next best is with my lady in the back seat. I've had a couple of good rides with others, but mostly I don't like it.

But, I have to say I like ending up somewhere where I encounter other riders. So I often signup for these bike weekend mini-rallies, stay at the same hotel, knock down the beers together, but go off and ride on my own and skip the organized group ride.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #25 of 34 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 7:19 pm

Just occured to me that I spend more time with other motorcyclists on line than I do on road!
post #26 of 34 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 7:47 pm

I find that there some events and some groups where I enjoy riding in a group. But the majority of the time I ride alone as my LTs name might infer.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #27 of 34 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:37 am

Occasionally someone I've just met will suggest we go for a ride together,
its about that time I'll walk them around the back of my bike to show them my taillight,
while making the statement:
this is about all you're gonna see of me on that ride.

The truth is, I ride alone because I'm just too damned ornery to ride with others.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #28 of 34 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:31 am

I ride alone

Get more than 3 bikes together and you've got a Parade...Don't do parades...as said before I ride alone...And I love having George Thorogood riding along with me...

Chuck & Jackie Gordon
2003 Torch Red (Impala Brown)
2002 Black (Crashed)
1981 FLT (County Bike)
Mountain Home, AR
post #29 of 34 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:50 am

I have to admit I do like being alone and not riding in a group. With that Said I have ridden with several bikes at once and found it fun in its own way. I prefer to be alone or with the wife beside(behind) me on our adventures.

We went riding on Sunday last week with a destination in mind but no real time to be there. We left at 930am and got home sometime around 7pm. We only took the highway once and that was for two quick exits to cut sometime off the ride home. Total ride time was well into the 6 hour mark by the time we got home. I programmed the GPS to take us to a location and avoid all highways. However , we would take a a side road anytime we wanted to and let the GPS put us back on track when we wanted it to. Just a nice but a little chilly day. This is why we bought the bike. So we could have date days and do something we both love to do. We both work very hard during the week and like to have our weekends just to take off for a day.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #30 of 34 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:46 am

Count me in the Lone Wolf club. Love to socialize at the end of the day or ride with another couple but that's about it. Haven't ridden with another biker in years. My roommate in college and I both had bikes and rode together a lot and then again with close friends in my early 20's.

Now I just like 45 minutes to myself at the end of a work day on roads that have as little traffic as possible is good therapy.

Otherwise...I'll meet ya when I get there!
post #31 of 34 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
I like riding with a group of safe and fun riders as much as the next guy. Heck, the few times I went cross country were some of the best cycling memories I have. Canyon carving with others, seeing their bikes lean into the twisties, communicating trough the the CB radios, and of course beers at the motel or campsite. All excellent parts of biking life I love... but ... those solo rides ... those last minute detours... those times when switching off the communications and tunes is the best music to my ears. Those moments just me and machine... those are the ones I live for. Am I crazy or are there others out there with this sick need to just tell friends I'll meet you there when I get there ... and head off by myself????

mostly I'm a lone rider, however I do enjoy a day ride with some folks once in a while, i guess when I am riding with a couple other folks I like to hang around and BS some

but i do not like to ride with more than a couple other folks, it just gets to be too much.

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #32 of 34 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
Interesting thread! Up until about 1998 I could count the times that I rode with only one other biker on one hand. Then after a few years without a bike, I joined the riding club at the local Yammy dealer because I like a couple of the guys I met. Later we turned that riding club into a closed membership motorcycle club. That means we had prospective members. It was a way to protect the club members, and deal with troublemakers. We were all riding cruisers, and just loved that pack mentality. Most people are social animals. There is mutual support and interest. They start dressing alike, sounding alike, etc. It's just human nature. There is a club for every interest under the sun. What most of these guys are looking for is some place to "belong." Then I bought an LT. Soon those long slow lunch rides weren't doing it for me. When I led those rides, the others had trouble keeping up, and I had trouble waiting for them! One thing led to another, and other conflicts within the club became too much, and I left it. I still ride with a small group of friends because we enjoy each other's company. And I ride with the CMA to support the ministry, but many times I prefer to hit the road on my own schedule. One of my keys to life is to remain flexible. So sometimes the lone wolf, other times in the pack. It's all good!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #33 of 34 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:10 pm

I wonder if that is why we are riding LT'S and not some of the other brands that we tend to see riding in groups. I enjoy riding by myself but did enjoy cross country with my son for 3.5 weeks. He being the more experienced and better able to handle the twistys at speed would leave me behind but that was good for me. We both carry gps and knew where we were going so we could always hook up before long. I did a 3 week out to WA solo and it did get kinda lonely all day long and I looked for motels and campgrounds at the end of the day with motorcycles for some socialization. I dont mind riding in small groups with 3 or 4 with riders I know and have ridden with before. Not real comfortable riding with new people until after I get to know them and their riding style bit. But for local day trip riding I prefer to be by myself. So I guess I am pretty much a loner(wolf)

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #34 of 34 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Add me to the list of loaners - Read if you wish - I plan on doing it again this summer
Attached Files
File Type: doc What a ride.doc (42.0 KB, 141 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in