Somebody told me to get a MAC since it can't get a Virus - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Somebody told me to get a MAC since it can't get a Virus

Well I guess since they are getting sucessful they are going to get targeted too.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-04-13/t...-os?_s=PM:TECH

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Somebody told me to get a MAC since it can't get a Virus

And the first you've heard about this is Apple providing a fix that eliminates the virus . . .

The Flashback virus disguises itself as an Adobe Flash Player installer, and exploits a Java vulnerability. Neither Flash nor Java is pre-installed on modern Macs, for reasons just such as this. So an infected user had to choose to enable both Flash and Java, and then visit a malicious site and download the rogue software.

I'm running a Safari extension called ClickToFlash that disables Flash on all websites, and allows me to click to enable only specific pieces of Flash if I choose to. That has made my browser so much faster and more stable, and has pretty much killed those annoying flashing and pop-up ads.

Most video simply gets served in HTML5, which also improves stability and performance.

Flash and Java are ubiquitous because they're easy, for developers and web servers. Not so easy for consumers, and as we've seen over and over again, not so safe, either.

Seriously, the only things these days that cause my MacBook to slow down or crash are old-technology websites, or Microsoft Office inefficiencies. And with OS X's sandboxing, these legacy issues simply don't affect the rest of my system.

So what you're saying is the same as claiming "My BMW got a flat tire, too, so they all suck!" Whereas your BMW may already come with run-flats, and there's even a patch kit and compressor onboard, just in case.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
So what you're saying is the same as claiming "My BMW got a flat tire, too, so they all suck!" Whereas your BMW may already come with run-flats, and there's even a patch kit and compressor onboard, just in case.
Didn't say that at all dude. Not one mention of BMW.

I said pretty much the hacker community has ignored MACs in the past but I speculated that Apple becoming more successful is becoming a target.

And no, that's not the first I heard of it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 9:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Your post was reasonable, as was the linked article. But your title was pure stinky bait.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 12:18 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Been using "little snitch" for many years now. " Flashback" doesn't like to be seen,
and aborts the install process if it encounters this in your system. Many sites still require JAVA and Flash so until they join the 21st C take care.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Your post was reasonable, as was the linked article. But your title was pure stinky bait.
So, are you accusing me of baiting?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 7:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
So, are you accusing me of baiting?
Well, they say you are a master baiter . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 13 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 8:10 pm

General consensus of the Nerd World is that when Apple has the computer user base that Windows has (if that ever happens, now it is like 8% last I saw), Mac users will not likely experience the virus and trojan issues to the level of Windows due to the somewhat harder to break into system, but it will be so high that there will be severe gnashing of teeth and thoughts of violence. Once the hackers see the level of mayhem they can create rise to a "suitable" level, watch out!

If hackers can break into highly sophisticated corporation, military, and other highly protected government systems, the average Mac user will stand little chance against them, other than having to purchase, install, and maintain anti virus/trojan/phishing software, like most of us Windows users have been doing for years.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a big Microsoft fan, nor am I one of those Mac Haters, as I have never had the chance to even turn on a Mac. Never worked in a company that had more than one or two of them, usually in the Marketing department for creating company marketing materials. Being in Engineering, where I have always used CAD systems pretty much forces one into the Windows world. I still have not seen any of the major CAD systems that support Mac. Many years ago a couple did, but they just could not keep spending many man ours porting over when the user base was miniscule at best.

I stuck with Windows XP for many years, just recently went to Win 7 at home, which is pretty darned good. At work we are still running XP (64 bit for the engineering workstations), waiting on Northrop Grumman to start rolling out Win 7 througout their network. That is planned for the next few months I hear.

Macs are great, and if you use them that is also great. It is good that all you need to do is supported by them. However, Win 7 is also pretty darned good, and from all I read is probably the best release of Windows ever. Most of us working in large companies MUST use Windows, no options exist.

Unfortunately for the past couple years I have been using AutoDesk Inventor Pro 3D modeling CAD, just don't get me started on AutoDesk! About the best I can say is that it is " fairly useable". I can have more hang-ups, crashes, and broken files in one month than I had in several years with a competing package.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 8:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Autodesk has just released a preview of Inventor Fusion for Macs. Don't know how well it works, though . . .

BTW, David, saw your little toy on Combat Tech. Pretty cool stuff . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 13 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, they say you are a master . . .
Takes one to know one. I'm so honored.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 6:58 am

Quote:
Autodesk has just released a preview of Inventor Fusion for Macs. Don't know how well it works, though . . .
Fusion is included with Inventor Pro, but we do not use it. It looks great for someone who needs to produce a solid model of a part, but it is not useful for creating complex movable assemblies and producing drawings. Inventor Pro competes (at least Autodesk likes to think so) with Solid Edge, Solid Works, Pro-E, etc.. I used Solid Edge in my past life, and it is years ahead of Inventor. Fusion is incorporating some of the model manipulation that Solid Edge has had for about 5 years now, but it only has a fraction of the capabilities.
Quote:
BTW, David, saw your little toy on Combat Tech. Pretty cool stuff . . .
The Remotec shown is one of our Andros line, been around for some time now. The one I have been working on is a much smaller model, but with some great capabilities. I have some pictures, but until it is released for sale I cannot post them.

The water cannon shown in the show is called a "Disrupter", and is used to blow apart an explosive device, usually (but not always) without setting it off. The slug of water blasted out can tear apart explosives such as dynamite, C4, etc, but does not have enough shock to detonate it. Usually, it will blow the explosive into bits, and even if the detonator goes off, it will not have the full load of explosive, if any, to detonate. Neat trick.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 9:55 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Looks like this problem is already dwindling away . . .

Of course, even 600K is nowhere near the number of current Windows computers that remain infected with any number of trojans, viruses, and email hacks . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 7:14 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:

I'm running a Safari extension called ClickToFlash that disables Flash on all websites, and allows me to click to enable only specific pieces of Flash if I choose to. That has made my browser so much faster and more stable, and has pretty much killed those annoying flashing and pop-up ads.

)
Thanks for the info Ken. I just installed it & can already tell my desk top is faster. Not that is was slow but slower then it was a few years ago. ClicktoFlash works great.

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in