Got raked over the coals and don't know what to do - Merged - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Got raked over the coals and don't know what to do

I don't write on here very often but do keep up with all of you and I don't usuallly vent but this time I can't help myself. I have always tried to be honest with everyone but this time it came back to bite me in the butt. I purchased my wife a 1960 2 door falcon stationwagon which is a very rare car. We drove it for about a year and made some long trips down into LA and the car ran out great. My wife was ready to sell so I put it on Ebay to sale and made a deal with a guy out of Illinois and settled on $2900.00 which was what I gave for the car. The guy told me it was for his wife to drive. The car was not perfect but the body was in very good shape for the age and it ran good. I told the guy all that I knew it needed and even agreed to meet him half way. All this for free, I just wanted someone to have the car that would fix it right and enjoy it. We showed up with the car and the first thing he started doing was trying to talk me down on the price after we had agreed on a price. I had delivered the car over 300 miles for free. I finally agreed on $200.00 less but was not happy. I told him I would leave the licence plate on to keep him from getting pulled over and would keep it insured for another week. Well it seems that he blew through 2 toll booths and they took a picture of my plate and sent me a ticket for $50.00 for not paying tolls. I called the guy and was told he would take care of it and that he had a pass so I didn't worry about it. Well I just got another letter for Illinois and now with penalties it is $221.00 and when I called him he claimed that he had to do alot of work on the car and therefore wasn't going to pay for the ticket. I told him all the car needed and the body alone was worth the price I got for the car. I feel really betrayed after all I done for this guy and in no way meant to get over on him in any way. I don't know what we can do on here to change his mind but the web site is as follows: http://www.hotrodchassisandcycle.com/index.php His name is Joseph Tully and his phone number is 630-901-5077. There are many of you that know me and know that I wouldn't cheat anyone. Any help would be appreciated.

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Re: Got raked over the coals and don't know what to do

Just a nice guy from the south taken advantage of by a Chicagoan. He is laughing about everything he is doing to you and knew he was going to do it in advance. Unfortunately, not much you can do, but you could send the toll authority his address. Also, not sure that there is much they can do to you, but you need to keep abreast of the situation. (Especially, if you do not intend to use the same plates in the future.) They could try to get Arkansas to suspend your driver's license, so that is what you have to watch. Send bill of sale and date to toll authority to show you did not own the car. Although, they have the same attitude as the guy you sold it to. Sorry, that some people in the Northeast part of the State have to give the rest of us a bad name.
post #3 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Unfortunately a lessoned learned.........no good deed goes unpunished. Respond back to the toll authority that the car was sold and provide as much written evidence as you can and give them his contact info.

post #4 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Re: Screwed and not kissed

Simple really,......... you know where he lives and you're already angry so the rest is up to you. He is obviosly a tool, so he needs to be treated as such. Go visit him. Don't get angry, get even !

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #5 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Don't get angry. Don't get even. Get ahead.

2006 K LT1200 Ridin'
2007 K GT1200 Sold
2005 ST 1100 Sold
1985 V65 1000 Magna Sold
1973 CB 750 4 Sold
1966 305 SuperHawk Sold
post #6 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:34 pm

"I told him I would leave the licence plate on to keep him from getting pulled over and would keep it insured for another week."

So, basically you allowed him to borrow your car and insure him as well...

A complete stranger?

Um, I've sold probably - oh - 50 cars and bikes in my life. No one has EVER left the driveway with one of my plates on it after the purchase. It's the buyer's issue to resolve, and at least in my state 3 day temporary "drive away" plates are easy to procure for just a few bucks. If he doesn't want to do that his other alternative is a shipping company or tow truck.

I'm sure you're a very nice guy and it appears you were taken advantage of by a huckster but quite frankly - if you don't know how to properly sell a car, deregister and deinsure it (which can usually be done online VERY easily) you shouldn't be doing it - ESPECIALLY on E-bay.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but I think you should just pay the toll tickets and move on. This kind of stress will keep you up at nights and shorten your life if you dwell on it...

I mean, three new posts on the same topic in different areas of the forum in the same day are definitely a "call for attention".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Let it go...
post #8 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime
Let it go...
Very good advice...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:47 pm

I don't understand why this is posted on this site. I clearly has nothing to do with motorcycling or this community.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #10 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton
I don't understand why this is posted on this site. I clearly has nothing to do with motorcycling or this community.
Come on Clayton give the guy a break, is it that big of a deal?

Curtis, if your worried about the tickets I wouldn't. I think the worse that could happen is DMV would hold up the registration if the citations were issued in the state the new owner lives in. But thats not your problem now, so I would just send the new owners name and address to address on the citations if you get them in the mail.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing

Last edited by Chipper; Apr 12th, 2012 at 12:21 am.
post #11 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:24 am Thread Starter

I haven't sold alot of cars in my life and am a trusting man and have never had any problems with anyone from down here. I am learning how ugly people can really be. I thought if enough people contacted this site that we may could make a difference. I don't mean to trouble you guys but just have never had any dealings with a man like that in my life.

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
post #12 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:45 am
Cat Herder

Garage

I hope you have a bill of sale for the car. If so, send the greedy Illinois DMV a copy of that with the new owners info and they fix it several months from now. The state of Calif. kept trying to extort money from me on the sale of a jetski years back. Its a good thing I had a bill of sale.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #13 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 5:29 am

"I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but I think you should just pay the toll tickets and move on."

He knows he made a mistake, but why would he make another by paying the tolls? There is a legitimate process for resolving an issue like this and if he has the proper paperwork why not go through the Toll Authority. Simply because he made a mistake once does not mean he should compound it. Not everyone is worldly and this experience obviously has shaken him and his trust in others. I would not call his actions "attention seekng"' His reaching out to others through these forums may be his way of coping or finding a solution to his problem. And isn't that what this Forum is about; helping others.
post #14 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 6:07 am

" Just a nice guy from the south taken advantage of by a Chicagoan"

Sounds like dejavu all over again? Look what we have in Washington!!

"So, basically you allowed him to borrow your car and insure him as well..."

+1 on what Ron K says. I have never left a tag on a vehicle and certainly would never keep my insurance coverage on one for somebody I didn't know. Sorry you have the dilemma and I hope you can resolve it. I too, like to be a trusting man, but have learned (the hard way) to be very cautious.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #15 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctraylor
I don't write on here very often but do keep up with all of you and I don't usuallly vent but this time I can't help myself. I have always tried to be honest with everyone but this time it came back to bite me in the butt. I purchased my wife a 1960 2 door falcon stationwagon which is a very rare car. We drove it for about a year and made some long trips down into LA and the car ran out great.

My wife was ready to sell so I put it on Ebay to sale and made a deal with a guy out of Illinois and settled on $2900.00 which was what I gave for the car. The guy told me it was for his wife to drive. The car was not perfect but the body was in very good shape for the age and it ran good. I told the guy all that I knew it needed and even agreed to meet him half way. All this for free, I just wanted someone to have the car that would fix it right and enjoy it.

We showed up with the car and the first thing he started doing was trying to talk me down on the price after we had agreed on a price. I had delivered the car over 300 miles for free. I finally agreed on $200.00 less but was not happy. I told him I would leave the licence plate on to keep him from getting pulled over and would keep it insured for another week.

Well it seems that he blew through 2 toll booths and they took a picture of my plate and sent me a ticket for $50.00 for not paying tolls. I called the guy and was told he would take care of it and that he had a pass so I didn't worry about it. Well I just got another letter for Illinois and now with penalties it is $221.00 and when I called him he claimed that he had to do alot of work on the car and therefore wasn't going to pay for the ticket. I told him all the car needed and the body alone was worth the price I got for the car.

I feel really betrayed after all I done for this guy and in no way meant to get over on him in any way. I don't know what we can do on here to change his mind but the web site is as follows: http://www.hotrodchassisandcycle.com/index.php His name is Joseph Tully and his phone number is 630-901-5077. There are many of you that know me and know that I wouldn't cheat anyone. Any help would be appreciated.

I would have not carried insurance on the vehicle either. When I buy bikes from distant sellers, I have them insured by my own insurance company.

I also wonder what you expect this forum to do to help you other than give you a place to vent.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #16 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Just needed a plalce to vent and appreciate all the info. I have talked to the state of Illinois and was told that it was my plate and I am responsible for the ticket. I just thought if enough people bombarded his web site he would do the right thing. I am much too trusting I guess and was just trying to help this guy. He said the car was for his wife and I wanted someone that would enjoy the car and he has a restoration business. I have no proof because in Arkansas the title is the bill of sale and I didn't get a copy. I have never had someone do this to me. Not a good testament of Illinois........

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
post #17 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 9:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you made a bill of sale, send Illinois a copy of your copy (always keep a copy of any legal document) It shows the date of sale which will match up with the dates of the violations. Keep all of the correspondence sent to you in this regard in a file on the sale. You may want to seek legal counsel to ensure you are covered and what legal liabilities you may have.

Unfortunately, your trusting nature bit you on this one. Not that you shouldn't trust, but never leave a license plate on a vehicle that is no longer yours. If the purchaser is stopped, the Bill of Sale is their get out of trouble card.

Did I say "keep a copy" of every scrap of paper? Even a screen shot of the eBay final price. Trust, but verify. I feel your frustration.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #18 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Curtis,
It is very unfortunate that your trust and honesty was taken advantage of. I'm guessing that guy knew exactly what he was doing and is probably still bragging to his buddies about how he stuck it to you. The good news...I believe karma will come back to him in ways he can't imagine. Meanwhile, it would seem you have a few choices:

1. Pay the toll and fine, chalk it up to experience and just move on. As Ron K said, your stress and lost sleep just isn't worth a couple of hundred bucks. However, don't let the experience change your basic trusting personality...just be a bit more cautious.

2. Try to embarrass the guy into paying by launching this attack on his web site. A clever idea, but I doubt this guy gives two shits about what is said about him. He clearly is lacking in the character department.

3. Work with the Toll Authority and try to get him billed. Personally, that is the direction I would go as it's pretty easy to just write a letter, although I don't have a lot of hope it will work. As suggested by another poster, make copies of your bill of sale and show you did not own the vehicle at the time (maybe also include a copy of your E-bay ad). You might find a reasonable person in the Toll Authority that would put themselves in your position and not like how your honesty was taken advantage of. At the least, if you work with the Toll Authority maybe you can get the amount owed lowered to the original tolls and get them to remove the penalties.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #19 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctraylor
Just needed a plalce to vent and appreciate all the info. I have talked to the state of Illinois and was told that it was my plate and I am responsible for the ticket. I just thought if enough people bombarded his web site he would do the right thing. I am much too trusting I guess and was just trying to help this guy. He said the car was for his wife and I wanted someone that would enjoy the car and he has a restoration business. I have no proof because in Arkansas the title is the bill of sale and I didn't get a copy. I have never had someone do this to me. Not a good testament of Illinois........
If you do not have bill of sale, maybe you have a copy of the check (personal/cashiers/whatever) used to pay for the vehicle, although I suspect he paid cash.

Perhaps IL will accept a notarized "statement of fact" also known as an affidavit, as proof that you were no longer the legal owner. If you have documentation of your trip to meet the buyer, such as fuel/meal/lodging receipts there and back you can bolster your case that you delivered the vehicle. If you took another driver and have receipts for two cars, perhaps even better.

You may also be able to file a small claims action against him for whatever damages you have suffered, but that will likely not do much in the end and may only extend the frustration and stress in your life over this matter.

This bozo (no disrespect intended to Bozo The Clown intended) seems like a real piece of work. Is good that you were able to vent, but I think it good advice to move on as quickly as you are able.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #20 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 2:16 pm

agreed

do what you can to work with the toll authority

Otherwise, pay it and consider the 200 bucks and money spent to deliver the car as "cost of use" for the year you had it.

Just because this guy is a raving asshole, that doesn't diminish ONE BIT the fact that you were a good guy on this, went way out of your way, and wanted your car to go to someone who would love it.

Lessons learned. It could have been worse, he could have run someone over in a hit-and-run, and you could have been arrested.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #21 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 4:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Got raked over the coals and don't know what to do - Merged

Send them an affidavit that the vehicle was sold and that the new owner was running your old plate without your permission. Really he was, you didn't give him permission to commit illegal acts using your tag. You are not responsible for the tolls. The person driving the car is, but you will likely be the target of an administrative suspension on your DL if you don't get it fixed. The presumption is that you were driving your vehicle unless you show otherwise. Never let a tag go with a vehicle, but I think you know why that is now. Sorry you had to visit the school of hard knocks, but we've all been there.

post #22 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 6:21 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Re: Got raked over the coals and don't know what to do - Merged

No, the title is not the bill of sale anywhere. The title only proves the rightful owner. You needed to make a receipt signed and dated with both of your names, VIN number, etc.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in