Robotic Vehicles on TV - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Robotic Vehicles on TV

I am working as a design engineer for the Remotec div. of Northrop Grumman, designing Robotic Vehicles used by military, police, rescue, etc..

There is a segment about the company in the show "Combat Tech, ROV's" on the Military Channel tonight, 10 PM Eastern.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 11:38 am

Re: Robotic Vehicles on TV

Dave, I'll be settin my recorder to capture that one, Thanks.
But can I just say something here? Every time I see your avatar, it looks to me like the branches on the trees behind you form Mickey Mouse ears on your hat. It just sort'a makes it hard to take you seriously
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 29th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Good show. Cool stuff. It's just frustrating to watch these kinds of shows, see what's being developed, then seeing kids coming home blown all to hell. Makes me angry.

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 29th, 2012, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Good show. Cool stuff. It's just frustrating to watch these kinds of shows, see what's being developed, then seeing kids coming home blown all to hell. Makes me angry.
These type of robots have been around for a quite a few years now, but only in the last 4-5 years have they really been getting looked at hard by many agencies.

Now there is a lot of development going on, at my company and at others. A lot of different stuff in the works. Police, Swat teams, Homeland Security, and of course military are setting the goals higher and higher. The new system we are now getting ready to go to production is going to blow the doors off a lot of our competition. It is considerably smaller than most of what you will see on videos and in movies. (The opening scenes of "The Hurt Locker" had one of our older models in it.

We just had two prototypes of our new model at a big show in San Diego, and it got a LOT of attention and "We want that!" comments, to the chagrin of our competitors. Sure hope they sell a lot of them. I designed the arm and gripper assembly for it.

When I get a decent picture of it I will post it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 29th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Would love to see it. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in