Oh great, another anti-motorcycling nutcase - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 9:37 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

Oh great, another anti-motorcycling nutcase

http://www.lakecities.com/main.asp?S...57&TM=4895.928

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:53 am

here is his e-mail addy:

[email protected]

let's all write him to let him know what we think. here is what i just wrote:

hi there, pinhead.

congrats ... your anti-motorcycle rant has made motorcycling bulletin boards in california and elsewhere. this will represent a BIG jump in readership for you. in fact, i think your name will circle the globe before all is said and done.

well done.

except this is probably not the kind of publicity you prefer.

it is okay to NOT have the cojones to ride anything other than a barcalounger. it is NOT okay to paint us all with the broad brush of ignorance, in the time-honored tradition of pinheads around the world. and it is definitely NOT okay to indirectly threaten us with violence.

as for me, i am a lifelong biker with more than 35 years of riding under my belt. i am law-abiding, tax-paying, and responsible.

oh, and as a free american i have the right to draw attention to your little missive so that my brothers in sisters in and around texas know where you stand, and how tempted you are to open your car door on them.

the internet is a wonderful thing, eh?

one more thing ... another pinhead here in california, a local DJ, made similar assinine comments regarding motorcycles. his station ended up issuing a public apology and making a big contribution to a fund promoting motorcycling safety. he held onto his job ... barely.

here's hoping a similar fate awaits you, bubba.

i suspect you have not heard the last of this.

-gary fackler, member
bmw lt motorcycle BBS
post #3 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:10 am

I sent him a leetle love note and forwarded his column to the AMA.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:10 am

Me too
post #5 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:16 am

Message sent as well.
post #6 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:26 am

Thumbs down

Message sent:

It's ironic you think everyone in America is getting dumber... while you link all motorcyclists to poor judgement and dangerous driving habits who deserve to be hit with an open vehicle door? I see why you don't work in the hard sciences.

I guess anyone can get their own column these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
Message sent as well.
post #7 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:31 am

Dear Mr Simpson,

Regarding your recent rant against motorcycles...

Nothing irks me more than sitting in 5:00 or friday traffic and seeing a perfectly good freeway clogged with enormous 5000 pound vehicles, each carrying on average one 170 pound person.
Your ignorance surrounding motorcycles and those who ride them is stunning. Yup, there are a few wheelie popping idiots but you know the one about a few bad apples right?
Most of my riding friends are, like myself, proffesionals and business owners. Some, like myself, with an excess of 100,000 safe cycling miles and decades of riding under our belts.
I'm sure you'll have plenty to read from other cyclists in the coming days, but know this... if you open your door in front of me, I'll have you prosecuted and jailed. You open it in front of another less legally minded cyclist and you may well find yourself in the emergency room.
Food for thought.
Best, Keith Palmateer
AMA member #619741
post #8 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Me too

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Here is the email I sent:

"Dear Mr. Simpson,
I read your editorial in the Lake Cities Sun online today, regarding motorcycles. As a motorcycle owner I agree with many of your comments, but disagree with others. In fact, I am alarmed at your tone.

You paint all motorcyclists with a very broad brush. Not all of us (in fact, I'd suggest the vast majority) never pull the stunts you describe (high rate of speed, wheelies, dangerous operation, etc.). I certainly don't, and don't ride with others who do. I am 49 years old and operate a high-end touring bike in a safe, courteous, and legal manner. I have seen the stunts you describe; in my experience it's the "young turks" (20-somethings) who do this. They would be doing similarly-dangerous stunts in cars.

Any time you'd like to see "a motorcycle that was driving the speed limit and adhering to all traffic laws", just watch me on my bike.

Lane-splitting (the practice of driving between rows of cars) is legal -- with some restrictions -- in California, but not in other states. Opening a car door to prevent this behavior is just as wrong as the offense itself. Do you really want to intentionally hurt or kill someone who is breaking a motor vehicle law? Are you a police officer?

Finally: Pro-motorcycle PSAs, bumper stickers, and the like are necessary because many drivers simply don't look for motorcycles while they are driving. Most car-motorcycle crashes are caused by automobile drivers turning into the path of a motorcycle. Combine this with impaired driving and cell phone-distracted drivers and we can use all the help we can get.

Please use more reason when you address this topic in the future, and refrain from advocating violence against motorcyclists."

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:46 am

I sent my condolences for his mental condition also.

Bet his email box catches on fire!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:09 pm

Wonder if the system has crashed yet at the paper?

Maybe Andy could help..........
post #11 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Cat Herder

This is the letter he got from me, but a letter to the paper is still in the queue.
---
Dear Mr. Simpson

I just read your editorial comment about motorcycles. While I have to admit that there are SOME idiots on bikes, I also have to say that by far the majority of all riders are more than responsible and are just exercising the rights we have been given by the constitution of this great country.

Now, I'd have to say a few words about your comments in particular the comment about opening a car door in front of an approaching motorcycle. While it is currently not legal to lane split in Texas, that does not mean it is legal trying to kill a motorcyclist. As a matter of fact IF someone does that having read your column I hope you are aware that you just put yourself into the line of legal fire by publically inciting vehicular homicide. I certainly hope your professional insurance covers that and you can go to sleep with that thought.

What you don't seem to understand is that this motorcyclist, the one you are hating so much is one car less in front of you. In other words: We are doing our thing in order to reduce congestion, instead of increasing it by driving cars. Have you ever compared the footprint of a typical motorcycle to the footprint of a typical car? Just try to think about it in terms of

a) fuel used (ever heard of global warming)
b) road usage (how many times can a motorcycle drive over a certain stretch of road until it does the same damage than a car does in one swoop?)
c) congestion avoidance (How many more MC can you get into the same stretch of road?
d) many, many more

I am sure that by now you KNOW that you in the hot seat. The morning DJ in San Francisco that pulled off a similar stunt a few weeks ao was just barely able to hold on to his job, and I guess you will have to face the same fate. In his case he was at least clever enough to IMMEDIATELY publically apologize, the station donated a sizeable number of $$ for motorcycle safety, ... I think you get the drift.

I will also send a copy of this letter to the owners of the paper you are writing for, and request a public apology, since with the publication of such dangerous nonsense you brought yourself as well as the paper in miscredit.

Have a nice day

--
Andreas Pleschutznig
Director IT
Harrison, Bettis, Staff, McFarland & Weems L.L.P.
Houston, TX 77002
[email protected]
(713) 655 7511 x 238

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #12 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:31 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Wonder if the system has crashed yet at the paper?

Maybe Andy could help..........
I'm not into crashing systems ... That is someone else's job. Mine is to make them crash proof.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #13 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:43 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
here is his e-mail addy:

[email protected]
And the email address of his publisher is:

[email protected]

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #14 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 2:37 pm

has the article been pulled?

just followed the link, but can't find the article. I too would love to mail any idiot who wants to open his car door to stop a motorcycle.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #15 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Gone in 60 seconds? Could not find it....

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 2:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

and my letter...

What were you thinking?

No, honestly... what were you thinking when you wrote this little masterpiece?

Inciting people to open their car doors to kill someone on a motorcycle!!! Just because you are stuck in traffic???

While I may understand your frustration, I do not agree with your road rage prose, especially knowing that you actually sat down, took the trouble of putting these words in writing, and even ran the spell checker...! In the meantime there may be someone who won't make it home to their spouse and children because someone decided to follow your advice and open their car door on an approaching motorcycle. What if that motorcyclist happens to be a law enforcement officer, either on or off duty?

One would assume that writing an article for the press comes with certain responsibilities, like checking the veracity of your facts, and not merely stating that some people should die because you don't like what they drive, who they vote for,

Your essay was nothing short of profiling. I am sure that all motorcycle riders look alike to you. Here is a shocker: Many motorcycle riders do obey traffic laws, at least most of the time. Many of us started riding in the early teens, and today we are professionals and family oriented people. I happen to work for a very business oriented company, IBM, and I certainly do not appreciate being "fair game" as you put it.

I sincerely hope you get reprimanded at work, that your paper makes a sincere apology and a statement to discourage the practice of trying to hurt a motorcyclist when you are stuck in traffic. An out of pocket donation to a motorcycle safety organization should be in order as well, and you probably should attend anger management therapy before you hurt someone either directly of by proxy.

A very angry reader,
Gilles Guezille

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #17 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 3:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Looks like they pulled it! YES!
but not before I copied it and emailed it to the socalsporttouring yahoo group!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #18 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 3:07 pm
Cat Herder

I sure would like to be a fly on the wall in this paper today ... LOL

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #19 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 3:18 pm

I have been trying to pull up the article, but keep getting a blank page. Do you suppose someone got the message?
post #20 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 3:23 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Gilles, can you re-post the text of his editorial here? I didn't even think to keep it for posterity... or is that posterior

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #21 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

You should have asked them to print a retraction and apology -- and maybe even the resignation letter of said Douglas Simpson.

I saw a good analogy written by someone at another site that Mr Simpson should take to heart... "next time you're tailgating an 18-wheeler, here's hoping he's not upset enough to slam on the brakes and have you run into the trailer. Then talk to me about opening doors on bikes sharing lanes. As the trucker shouldn't be enforcing the law on following too close, neither should you be considering enforcing the laws you choose to."

-
post #22 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 3:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
but not before I copied it and emailed it to the socalsporttouring yahoo group!
Do you still have it? Please post it. I would love to read it. I called the LC Sun and they don't have an answer to what happened to the article. If you feel it is inappropriate to post it please email me a copy ([email protected])

Thanks,
Ernie

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #23 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 4:18 pm

If you missed the original - you can read part of it here -- http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9752
post #24 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 4:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The Text

The text lifted from the BMWMOA site. Thanks to Rebecca Vaughn:
Quote:
Here is the first part of Mr. Simpson's editorial. The last parts had no motorcycle content:

Airing of grievances

Douglas Simpson
Managing Editor

1. Motorcycles. Why are these things street legal? I challenge anyone out there to remember a time they saw a motorcycle that was driving the speed limit and adhering to all traffic laws.

When I see them, they are usually going about 120 mph down I-35E, weaving in and out of lanes like those white lines are just there for show.

Nothing irks me more than sitting in dense 5 p.m. or Friday traffic, only to see a motorcycle driving between the rows of cars, going about 40 mph. I want so badly to open my car door just before they reach me.

I’ll never forget the time I was driving down the George Bush around 10 p.m., when all of a sudden scorching down the road were not only about five motorcycles driving erratically, but they were all riding on their back tires. Popping a wheelie while doing 80 mph down a public roadway: stupid.

I remember a few years back, I think after Gary Busey had his bad motorcycle wreck, there was a public service announcement asking motorists to “keep an eye open for motorcyclists,” like they are being abused by us car and truck drivers.

I remember telling the TV, “I’ll look out for them as soon as they start obeying traffic laws.” I’m still waiting, so in my eyes, they are fair game.

Our police officers do a good job, I just hope they pay a little extra attention to the wheelie-popping idiots that are making the roadways dangerous for all of us.
I wonder just how perfect this guy really is?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #25 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 5:04 pm

if that poor guy ever does ... even accidentally... open his door into a motorcyclist... he's gonna have some splainin to do.
post #26 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 5:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It's gone and I didn't even get a chance to get upset.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #27 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 6:07 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Here you go. Somebody was nice enough to forward the commentary to me. Only the first part about motorcycles is included:

Quote:
Here is the first part of Mr. Simpson's editorial. The last parts had no motorcycle content:

Airing of grievances

Douglas Simpson
Managing Editor

1. Motorcycles. Why are these things street legal? I challenge anyone out there to remember a time they saw a motorcycle that was driving the speed limit and adhering to all traffic laws.

When I see them, they are usually going about 120 mph down I-35E, weaving in and out of lanes like those white lines are just there for show.

Nothing irks me more than sitting in dense 5 p.m. or Friday traffic, only to see a motorcycle driving between the rows of cars, going about 40 mph. I want so badly to open my car door just before they reach me.

I’ll never forget the time I was driving down the George Bush around 10 p.m., when all of a sudden scorching down the road were not only about five motorcycles driving erratically, but they were all riding on their back tires. Popping a wheelie while doing 80 mph down a public roadway: stupid.

I remember a few years back, I think after Gary Busey had his bad motorcycle wreck, there was a public service announcement asking motorists to “keep an eye open for motorcyclists,” like they are being abused by us car and truck drivers.

I remember telling the TV, “I’ll look out for them as soon as they start obeying traffic laws.” I’m still waiting, so in my eyes, they are fair game.

Our police officers do a good job, I just hope they pay a little extra attention to the wheelie-popping idiots that are making the roadways dangerous for all of us.

-
post #28 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 6:25 pm

I would suspect there is someone in Mr. Simpson's family or circle of friends, past or present, that had a bad experience with a motorcycle. He certainly got a nice edge on his axe from his commentary today but discovered it truly is a double-edged sword. Sure, there are a number of idiots riding motorcycles but I would have to say the ratio is much smaller than the number of idiots in the media posing as editors with anything meaningful to say. Letters to the editor can get away with that sort of rant but to publicly advocate violence against a particular social group on behalf of your employer should certainly be a terminable offense or perhaps a demotion to the residential distribution department. I just hope no one opens a car door as he is pedaling down the street.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #29 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 6:42 pm

"Nothing irks me more than sitting in dense 5 p.m. or Friday traffic, only to see a motorcycle driving between the rows of cars, going about 40 mph. I want so badly to open my car door just before they reach me."

How amazingly irresponsible on this man's part. My guess is he watches "The Simpsons" a bunch.

I suggest the paper hear from everyone that can send them a note regardless that they have pulled it.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #30 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
"Nothing irks me more than sitting in dense 5 p.m. or Friday traffic, only to see a motorcycle driving between the rows of cars, going about 40 mph. I want so badly to open my car door just before they reach me."

How amazingly irresponsible on this man's part. My guess is he watches "The Simpsons" a bunch.

I suggest the paper hear from everyone that can send them a note regardless that they have pulled it.
Pulling it is just a START...the paper needs to apologize. In my email to the publisher I invited him to check out motorcycling as he might even LIKE it. I also asked him how he would feel if one of his readers, possibly as weak minded as simpson himself, acted out as encouraged in this article.
post #31 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I'm not into crashing systems ... That is someone else's job. Mine is to make them crash proof.
I should have used the sarcastic smiley. My intent was that you *wouldn't* use your considerable talent to help them after a jillion angry cyclists crash their system by overload.

I know you ONLY use your powers for good!
post #32 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12steve
Pulling it is just a START...the paper needs to apologize. In my email to the publisher I invited him to check out motorcycling as he might even LIKE it. I also asked him how he would feel if one of his readers, possibly as weak minded as simpson himself, acted out as encouraged in this article.
fully agree. there must be a lawyer among us who can pen a letter in lawyer-speak, demanding a retraction and an apology, closing with his/her job title and the name of his/her law firm.
post #33 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Talking The Next RTM/G

The Lake Cities Sun

Email: [email protected]
Address: 275 Market Street
P.O. Box 879
Lake Dallas, Texas 75065
Telephone: (940) 321-2122
Fax: (940) 497-2273

The next RTM/G? We could pick a date and post on all known web forums for everyone to just show up one buisness day and say "Hey".

Jason Spates
Keller, Tejas, Earth
'03 K1200LTC Impala Brown (RIP)

Driving a car is like watching TV and riding a motorcycle is like watching an IMAX, except with wind.
post #34 of 39 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 4:16 am

Article has been pulled.
I saw it, but would like a copy.
Anyone save it ?.
post #35 of 39 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 6:33 am

Angry

I added my 2 cents also.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #36 of 39 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:15 am

I'd like to know how many mails they have got, I've sent them a snotogram too, wonder how long before we see a retraction.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #37 of 39 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 9:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Article has been pulled.
I saw it, but would like a copy.
Anyone save it ?.
Look in this thread. It's there.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #38 of 39 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
------------or perhaps a demotion to the residential distribution department. I just hope no one opens a car door as he is pedaling down the street.
Now THAT was funny!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #39 of 39 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 11:25 am

Ernie,
Thanks, I just noticed.
Be interesting to see if and when they publish an apology.

Andy, nice letter. That should give him a few sleepless nights.

Simon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in