How to Determine Resale Value for Used Parts? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 10:09 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question How to Determine Resale Value for Used Parts?

I have a laundry list of body parts to be sold, from an '09 LT. Before I post this stuff in the Classifieds forum, how do I go about setting prices for them? All of the parts have varying degrees of damage, mostly cosmetic - scratches. At least one of the pieces has a dent/crunched spot on it.

Some of these parts cost hundreds of dollars new. Should I list them for 50% of new?... something more... something less?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 12:35 am

Re: How to Determine Resale Value for Used Parts?

50% of new if in pristine condition will get them sold quickly here. Cosmetic issues command far less and are just about impossible to sell.

Beemer Boneyard may do a bulk purchase if you want to dump them all, just be prepared to get 25% of retail. I've always found the guys there to be great to deal with.

Ebay and multitudes of excellent pictures are your friend if you want to maximize the profit...

If you want to sell them fast put them on a low reserve. If time not an issue - a high reserve.

If you really like them a lot - and think they are relatively hard to find or not available new - a buy it now price and unlimited time listing works well - just be prepared to wait a while.

I had a killer 1981 Vetter fairing for sale for a year - it sold for $750.00 recently - about 10 X the cost of other junk yard fairings on there. The guy getting it later this week will be a very happy camper. It took a year to sell but for me was worth the wait:

Vetter fairing sold on E-bay

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:02 am

OOh, Thanks for the fairing Idea Ron. I have one of those laying around and it's in really good condition...Came off my '82 R65...

As far as parts go .. I think for a good, used, functional part with nothing wrong, 50% is the figure I always go by..

Body panels are an it all depends kind of thing. If I could get an $800.00 body part that's just scratched and I'm going to paint it anyway, $400.00 is still a good buy..

Good Luck Howard,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
OOh, Thanks for the fairing Idea Ron. I have one of those laying around and it's in really good condition...Came off my '82 R65...

As far as parts go .. I think for a good, used, functional part with nothing wrong, 50% is the figure I always go by..

Body panels are an it all depends kind of thing. If I could get an $800.00 body part that's just scratched and I'm going to paint it anyway, $400.00 is still a good buy..

Good Luck Howard,

John
Hey John - if you have the mounting bracket it's worth another $75.00... (I've got one available) and if your windshield is less than good I've got one for sale as well - and I'll make you an even BETTER deal than what I've got it listed for:

vetter windshield on E-bay

Polish that fairing body with some 3M Finishing Material machine polish and a wool pad chucked into your drill to make it sparkle.

You can then list it as a complete unit to fit the R-65 (and many other airheads as well) not only on E-bay but also on the BMWMOA website classifieds.

You've got a chunk o' cash just sitting there, and spring is THE time to list mc stuff.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in