Garage floors WOTL needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 10:46 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage floors WOTL needed

What is the best product to use on a new garage floor? I need something to make the concrete look better,prevent stains,but be non-slip. Open to all suggestions.

First garage; Look good,stain free. Probably not a working garage, for car storage only.

Second garage. Looks not as important, durability tops, might see a car occasionally.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and input.

Dan Martin
Houston,Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Re: Garage floors WOTL needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
What is the best product to use on a new garage floor? I need something to make the concrete look better,prevent stains,but be non-slip. Open to all suggestions.

First garage; Look good,stain free. Probably not a working garage, for car storage only.

Second garage. Looks not as important, durability tops, might see a car occasionally.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and input.

Dan Martin
Houston,Tx
Little on the expensive side, butt at least call 'em and git edjumacated.

Sundek - google it, or check your yellow pages, or call a pool company for info. One time application and you're set. Easy clean. Make sure the garage floor has at least a 28 day cure if brandy new. Attend to existing cracks first, if there are any. Good luck - shout when it's tech session ready!!
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 1:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Check out this system & reviews here!

Existing floor prep is key to success with any epoxy system.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 1:34 pm

You can get the Epoxy kits, with color flakes, many places. Lowes has them. It makes a really nice floor, and you can pick the color combination you want. My son in law just did his, came out really nice.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 6:37 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Dan I use THIS from Home Depot. It works great.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 6:58 pm

I have this bookmarked for when the time comes.
http://www.ucoatit.com/2011web/pages...esidential.htm
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 10:29 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Good luck - shout when it's tech session ready!!
Some good info here, thanks.

Dick, Like our daughter will ever let us use her garage.

dan
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:35 am

I used the EPOXY for my garage floor, looks great and easy to clean as nothing sticks to it. But even with the sand added , when wet it is extremely slippery. I now have to put carpet runners on the areas where we walk.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:53 am

I used the Rust-Oleum Epoxy on my workshop floor, new concrete, and my attached garage, old concrete. Both applied about about 2 years ago. With the application of the included vinyl color chips the floor is not slippery when wet, easy to clean, does not stain with spilled liquids (even spilled some oil base wood stain and it wiped up without a trace) haven't seen any chipping due to dropped tools or parking bikes on side stand. Probably not as robust as some of the other coatings use in commercial applications but it's a whole bunch less expensive and so far has held up just fine for typical residential use.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #10 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 1:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
With the application of the included vinyl color chips the floor is not slippery when wet, easy to clean, does not stain with spilled liquids (even spilled some oil base wood stain and it wiped up without a trace) haven't seen any chipping due to dropped tools or parking bikes on side stand.
I recently had the Sherman-Williams coating installed. I also had installed the flakes and sand (non slip material). I can place my bike on the center stand without marking or damaging the floor. How do you clean your floor, and with what? With the sand (grit material) to make it non slip, I would think that it would chew up sponges. I would like to try a sponge first, then may have to go with a mop.
Thanks!!!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I recently had the Sherman-Williams coating installed. I also had installed the flakes and sand (non slip material). I can place my bike on the center stand without marking or damaging the floor. How do you clean your floor, and with what? With the sand (grit material) to make it non slip, I would think that it would chew up sponges. I would like to try a sponge first, then may have to go with a mop.
Thanks!!!
I didn't add sand, just the vinyl color chips. For cleaning I just vacuum then use soap and water and an old fashioned mop. If necessary I hit the stubborn spots with a scrub brush. rinse with clear water and use a floor squeegee to finish up.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in