R/C Plane-Amazing Acrobatics - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 8:40 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

R/C Plane-Amazing Acrobatics

Wonder how many he crashed learning this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Re: R/C Plane-Amazing Acrobatics

Dave;

That is awsome, just freakin' awsome....................rock on..........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Flying RC was a hobby of mine in the 1980's, got back into it a couple years ago. I watched Joe Smith fly in person last year, one amazing talent for a 17 year old!

I have a plane from the same company he flys for, 3D Hobby Shop. Mine is a "pattern" plane, meant more for precision "pattern" routines rather than the style he flies, which is called 3D flying. That is the current type of flying that more and more people are getting into. Maybe if I can get good enough with pattern I may try it. Way too complex for my old fingers at this time though.

Just thinking about complex maneuvers that close to the ground with a $2,000 plane is more than my heart can stand. I have about $800 in mine, and like to keep it at least "5 dumb thumbs" high. My next plane is likely to be a 71" wingspan version of what he was flying in that video, electric powered instead of gas. I currently fly a 62" Osiris electric. http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/62-Osiris--Red_p_15388.html

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 10:04 am

I've been trying to learn to fly over the last twenty years or so... I have to say.. A real aircraft is a lot easier to fly than an RC aircraft...

What scale do you fly. ?.. I've got a .50 glow engine that I thought I'd use but never have...

I think it's an MVVS.... It's yours if you can use it...

I really enjoyed building the airplanes from scratch...The glue-up of the parts and the covering was a lot of fun..And I was pretty good at that..

Unfortunately I was better at crashing...

Maybe this year I'll build some kind of a giant scale lumbering ox of a slow flying plane..Probably still won't need the .50...

OOH ! I know.. A dirigible camera ship... Yeah, That's the ticket...Spy on the neighbors...

What kind of radio are you using ? I'm still using an XS388 that I literally got twenty years ago...Still works just fine.. Got a new battery just last year...LOL !

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; Mar 14th, 2012 at 10:16 am.
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
I've been trying to learn to fly over the last twenty years or so... I have to say.. A real aircraft is a lot easier to fly than an RC aircraft...
I flew RC several years before getting my pilot's license and instrument rating. The only thing harder about RC is spatial orientation. In the real thing, up is always up, left is always left. In RC it takes a lot of flying to get where orientation vs control input becomes relatively easy. Going away everything is fine, coming toward you up is still up, but left is now right.

Full size flying is harder overall though, lots of rules and regulations, radio work, navigation, etc. Instrument flying is another whole world! I could fly several hours VFR, and land with a smile on my face. A couple hours on instruments can leave you pretty drained and tired. It is like a hard video game that can kill you, with no pause button!

I started a couple years ago with my old YS 60, a great Nitro engine, but recently have switched entirely to electric power. Same performance, or better, no cleanup at the end of the day, just a lot of battery charging. The LiPoly batteries that have made electric so fantastic cost more up front, but over time are a lot cheaper than the Nitro fuel, which is now $20 plus a gallon!

My 62" Osiris weighs a little over 7 pounds, will go straight up as long as I hold it there! I am flying it with a 17X10 prop, with a motor that is only 2" diameter, and at full throttle is producing nearly 2 HP! With a 6S (22v) 5 amp hour battery I pull about 65 amps full throttle, and fly for about 9 minutes on a charge.

My old radio was on the 72Mhz band, on a frequency that is no longer legal, so I switched to the new 2.4 Ghz Spectrum system. No more frequency worries, when you turn it on it finds two available "channels" and locks them, and you "bind" each reciever you have to the transmitter. The receiver will only respond to that transmitter, and you program the transmitter for each plane you have. Only the plane you pick when you turn the transmitter on will respond, with no interference from other transmitters. Much better and far safer.

Quote:

What scale do you fly. ?.. I've got a .50 glow engine that I thought I'd use but never have...

I think it's an MVVS.... It's yours if you can use it...

I really enjoyed building the airplanes from scratch...The glue-up of the parts and the covering was a lot of fun..And I was pretty good at that..

Unfortunately I was better at crashing...

Maybe this year I'll build some kind of a giant scale lumbering ox of a slow flying plane..Probably still won't need the .50...

OOH ! I know.. A dirigible camera ship... Yeah, That's the ticket...Spy on the neighbors...

What kind of radio are you using ? I'm still using an XS388 that I literally got twenty years ago...Still works just fine.. Got a new battery just last year...LOL !

John

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in