Advice for trip to Maine - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Advice for trip to Maine

I am thinking of a trip out to Maine later this year. It started out as a trip by myself. My better half said she was interested, which made it better yet. One or both of our daughters are contemplating going out. If the oldest daughter goes, her boyfriend may accompany us as well so that means a four wheel trip and multiple rooms instead of the RT and one room.

Some of the things I am hearing from home are… They would like to catch a glimpse of a whale. (Not sure when the best time is for that or the best location? Was hoping to do it from the shore and not have to rent a boat.) They would like to walk the beach. (Not too many coast lines with beaches in Illinois J ) I want to have a “lobsta” or two. And the one that really through me for a loop… my wife knits/sews/embroiders… She would like to visit an alpaca farm. (I had to ask…)

I am thinking of a week stay. We are contemplating researching the cost of renting a house for a week vs. a motel if all five of us go?

What I am curious about is where would be the most economical area of the state to stay to complete the wish list and what is the best time of the year to go based on the wish list (primarily the whales and lobster/sea food? If the sites we want to see are scattered up and down the state I considered searching for lodging in the center of the attractions.

Many thanks,

Jerry "Wabashvalley"

[email protected]

Wabashvalley
IBA#39388
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Re: Advice for trip to Maine

Don't hit any moose.

But it's a great place ocean and woods - hard to beat.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Also, plan your ride so you come through Adirondacks, Vermont and New Hampshire. You may never reach Maine but you won't care.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 4:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabashvalley
Some of the things I am hearing from home are… They would like to catch a glimpse of a whale. (Not sure when the best time is for that or the best location? Was hoping to do it from the shore and not have to rent a boat.)
You will not see any whales from shore, you should look into a whale watching boat ride.
Quote:
They would like to walk the beach. (Not too many coast lines with beaches in Illinois J ) I want to have a “lobsta” or two. And the one that really through me for a loop… my wife knits/sews/embroiders… She would like to visit an alpaca farm. (I had to ask…)
Maine is know as the rocky coast for a reason. To get beach walking you will need to be in the Old Orchard area, along with thousands of other folks. The lobster are EVERYwhere. Somewhere in Maine there is always a lobster fest.
Quote:
I am thinking of a week stay. We are contemplating researching the cost of renting a house for a week vs. a motel if all five of us go?
There are lots of summer rental places, for 5 people renting a beach house would be cheaper than a couple hotel rooms.
Quote:
What I am curious about is where would be the most economical area of the state to stay to complete the wish list and what is the best time of the year to go based on the wish list (primarily the whales and lobster/sea food? If the sites we want to see are scattered up and down the state I considered searching for lodging in the center of the attractions.
I don't know what economical means to you, but the closer to the coast...less economical.
Take a look at this Maine web site, pick a time and area you are interested in and then I'll be happy to do some local information ideas for you. http://www.visitmaine.com/
And also here. http://www.mainelobsterfestival.com/

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John!

Wabashvalley
IBA#39388

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in