Slammer in Antwerp - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Slammer in Antwerp

For your widespread nefarious and heinous crimes against good taste, common sense, evolution and intelligence you are hereby sentenced to..

...two months of Belgium!
Methinks it is time to give y´all a little Slammerupdate
After the company that I worked for got it´s self sold I had the choice of either going on the Swiss dole or joining the inventory on the way out to Antwerpen, an easy decision, however I took my car and did not go with the stuff in the container.
Not gonna get too comfy here as this seems to be a two month limited gig and then I go on the Swiss dole.
So far it has been an interesting and vigorous 2012 for old Slammer, going back to 2011, I had been living in a little bed-sit in the center of Basel with the batty landlady who is missing a few Rappen to a full Frank, some of you may know the stories, but early last November at oh sodall in the morning I woke up to the sound of moaning, thinking that something had happened I chucked some clothes on and went to look, she was in the hall doing what appeared to be a belly dance in her nightie, only the nightie had a huge hole in the middle as if it had been hit by a shotgun.
She told me that the sprits had gone done ripped her clothes to shreds and that a spirit was in her and that she herself was now a ghost.
Slammer beat a hasty retreat, double locked the door and jammed a chair under the handle.
Clearly it was time to blow Dodge.

I found a flat in Kleinhüningen and just between christmas and new year moved in. Come first day at work in 2012, boss shaped man told us that the company had been sold, fuming, I moved back in to the madlandlady´s place the very next weekend.
So it´s February and I am in Antwerp on the Shelde River. I like Antwerp, as towns go it has the same "not-too-big-not-too-small" feel that I liked in Aarhus in Denmark and Basel in CH and as we know the north sea coast in spring is a nice place to be, but for now it is still mid winter and freezing.
The company found me a nice little studio in the center of town so Friday I struggled up the "stairs" (we would call belgium stairs ´ladders`) and dumped my stuff there.
Last night, tired of flicking through the TV channels I went out for the first time, the moment I hit the streets I pulled my collar up, it was pretty dull, dark and dismal.
Typical north sea weather.
Too wet for fog but not wet enough to call it´self rain, it doesn´t seem to fall to the ground from above to down as normal, rather it wafts around in soggy blobs staining the grey walls of the houses a darker shade of grey, mugging pedestrians. Definatly not officially approved Swiss rain.
Parts of Antwerp are still filled with ancient houses in the "fin de siècle" art-decor style, they are lovely to look at but now, in the dark and wet they seem very brooding and melancholic.
The studio is in the Jewish quarter and they have made their mark on this part of town, I have seldom seen so many old men with the dreadlocks, flowing white beards their black gowns and Hasidic hats.
I even managed a "Shalom" to a group as I walked past.
The old fashioned streetlamps cast a yellowish cone of light over the wet cobble-stones, I caught a glimpse of a woman running, the sound of her footsteps echoing as she clattered across the street.
I was in the middle of a set for a film noir.

I have decided not to drive the SlammerJeep into Antwerp but dump it on a park and ride and take the tram, drive around in downtown Antwerp for a while and you know that you are not in Kansas anymore, A Swiss driving style in Antwerp center will get you exactly nowhere pretty fast.
As usual when primed for Swiss driving I will slam on the irons as soon as somebody takes a glance at a pedestrian crossing, this causes the cars behind me to screech as they dare their brakes to eat themselves on the same note I am also gonna get myself killed as a pedestrian by dancing over said crossings without a care in the world.

The traffic lights are scary too, some with four lights, the bottom three do the red, yellow, green thingy but the top one stays red.
A traffic light telling you to stop and go at the same time, I get a paralytic freak on as my Swissified brain tries to divide by zero.
Must figure this out soon or the medics will have to drag me out of my car in a rictus and smoking.
Well this weekend I have decided to hit the coast and dip my feet in the sea.
Gonna have me some fun here, at least for two months.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 9:14 am
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

Re: Slammer in Antwerp

Sounds like an adventure Slammer, but one imposed on you by the job situation.
Good luck with the travels and job hunt, and keep a watchful eye on the drivers in Antwerp, they sound too familiar to the locals here...
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Methinks that going to Antwerp is maybe "A bridge too far"

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 10:57 am

My wife an I visited Basel a few years ago and, after checking into our hotel, decided to walk around town to get some of the flavor of the town. After pausing at a couple of street corners to decide which way to go, it finally dawned on us that all the cars that had stopped were waiting on us to cross the street in one direction or another. We felt very guilty for being so slow to pick up on what was happening. From then on, we stood well back from street corner while we made up our minds on where to go next. Is it a great country or what?

Bob Schrader
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer
For your widespread nefarious and heinous crimes against good taste, common sense, evolution and intelligence you are hereby sentenced to..

...two months of Belgium!
There is worse punishment than 2 months in Belgium. Excellent food, excellent beer. Methinks you might prosper there!

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
'06 BMW K1200LT (2011- ...)
'85 BMW R80GS (1989-2010)
'85 Yamaha XT 600 (1986-1987)
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Garage

Welcome to the neighbourhood.

There is a saying here. "I love the Belgian summer, it really is the best day of the year!"

I have lived in the proximity of Antwerp for 6 years and I love it. OK the weather in the early part of the year really is foul and not pleasant to ride. However there are some wonderful places to ride and the people tend to be pleasant (as long as you do not try to speak French to them!) They do not laugh too much when I speak Dutch!

The weather should be getting a bit warmer - it is just a cold / wet spell right now.

Best regards
Adam

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth
Welcome to the neighbourhood.

There is a saying here. "I love the Belgian summer, it really is the best day of the year!"

I have lived in the proximity of Antwerp for 6 years and I love it. OK the weather in the early part of the year really is foul and not pleasant to ride. However there are some wonderful places to ride and the people tend to be pleasant (as long as you do not try to speak French to them!) They do not laugh too much when I speak Dutch!

The weather should be getting a bit warmer - it is just a cold / wet spell right now.

Best regards
Adam
Well they do say that the months are called January, Febuary, March, April, April, April, April, April, April, April, November, December.
Gonna bring iron pig II up in the next few weeks, whacha say to a ride?

post #8 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl57
There is worse punishment than 2 months in Belgium. Excellent food, excellent beer. Methinks you might prosper there!
Beer, Belgian beer is a bit too strong for me, Slammer is a Weizen drinker and I have WWS (Weizen withdrawal symptoms) Bolleke and Palm will keep me marintated though.
However I am trying to like Gueze, a cross between malt vinegar and beer.

post #9 of 16 Old Mar 8th, 2012, 12:28 am

Quote:
Beer, Belgian beer is a bit too strong for me, Slammer is a Weizen drinker and I have WWS (Weizen withdrawal symptoms) Bolleke and Palm will keep me marintated though.
Once you start liking the beer you might feel that the punishment lays in the fact that you'll only be 2 months in Belgium...

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 2:28 am

Garage

Quote:
Well they do say that the months are called January, Febuary, March, April, April, April, April, April, April, April, November, December.
Gonna bring iron pig II up in the next few weeks, whacha say to a ride?
That seems about right how the weather can behave. Sometimes it is really nice and dry, others ... Animals being loaded onto large wooden boats by men with very long beards & robes comes to mind!

When the weather turns a bit brighter (perhaps even warmer) we can go out for a spin.

Do you have any preferences what you would like to see/do? What is your Iron Pig II?

Best regards
Adam

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 4:05 am Thread Starter

Behold, Iron pig II

And the story
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66438

post #12 of 16 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 9:09 am

Garage

Iron Pig II looks gorgeous. Very similar to my previous BMW - K100RT. Interesting story on the trip home!

Can I take it you will rider her to Antwerp?

I will send you my contact details by PM so when you are ready we can make the necessary arrangements.

I have a colleague who has expressed an interest in coming, he is one of the locals and knows the area so much better than I.

Best regards
Adam

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 7:02 am Thread Starter

Either Jew do or jew don't.
Living in a quarter mainly inhabited by Hasidic Jews and Moslems I find some of the interaction or lack of it quite amusing to watch.
There is a small park in the 'hood' with a playing area in the middle, a few restaurants, shops and a handfull of bars surround the square. Kids are as loud as you would expect, prams are pushed and people relax and enjoy themselves, people from all strata of society and all religions.
Moslems drink tea shoulder to shoulder with Baart Smit supping his 'Bolleke' (Antwerp typical beer) The only ones missing are the Jews, surprising as this area is right in the center of their quartier with Synagogues on almost every street corner, you see them up and down the steets to ane from their place of worship mouthing soundbites from the tora all wearing the black robes, dreadlocks and black or white tights, depending on the time of the day, and of course the strange looking furry hasidc hats that make them look like a chimmney sweeps brush.
A Swissified Slammer does the CHian thing and I am ashamed to admit to it but I find myself staring.
My fingers just itch to grab a hat and fling it.. Not because of anti sematic tendencies, I just want to see how far I can get it to fly.
They are totally integrated but are also totally apart, I mangaged a 'shalom' to a group and was regarded as something dropped from a dog that you step in.
Next time I gonna try a 'Salem Aleikum' just to see them burst into flames.
When there is interaction it seems to be mainly jews and moslems trying their best to annoy each other, two groups the other day all bow woof woof and in the middle, the DMZ, (my imagination runnin on overdrive here) a roman catholic child blarting his eyes out like a UN blue helmet soldier in the Gaza-strip.
Last friday against my own advise I drove into town and had to wait at a crossing, a bunch of Jews huddled so tight together as to be a solid mass. A scattering of Moselms, a group of men dressed as pirates, a large black woman carrying two 6 packs of water on her head in the african way, a grop of Umpalumpas and a black pot bellied pig.
Slammer has a cast iron sense of weird and I did not bat an eyelid, howeverI did think that a pig in a part of town inhabited mainly by Jews and moslems must be the happiest pig on earth.

post #14 of 16 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Quote:
The Gueze sounds like it might be either real tasty or down right awful.

So does Belgium have any ports (porters), ales, or stouts?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 2:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
The Gueze sounds like it might be either real tasty or down right awful.

So does Belgium have any ports (porters), ales, or stouts?
That sums Geuz up perfectly, some will pucker your lips like a cats-arse but some (them that I sort of like-ish) are very refreshing indeed, maybe more a summer drink methinks.
I shy away from the Belgian black stuff, most start at 8% and go as high as 15%, puts hair on your chest

post #16 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Quote:
I shy away from the Belgian black stuff, most start at 8% and go as high as 15%, puts hair on your chest
Yesss, you have two of them and you have the calories as a 3-course meal, and a lot less expensive!

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in