Maybe a Kindle in Kendall County?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 10:14 am Thread Starter

Maybe a Kindle in Kendall County??

Thinking of giving Cheryl some type of smart reader for her planned flight to Europe later this year. Neither one of us have any familiarity with a Kindle; a Nook; or any of the available readers. She'll mainly use it just to read during the flight over and back; if the inflight movies are duds. Around the casa - not so much. Any suggestions I can use while shopping such as ease of use - *too heavy - too light - too small - too large- battery hog - must have accessory* - etc., etc?? Have plenty of time before she's wheels up, butt want to make sure she has some practice before then. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 10:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Maybe a Kindle in Kendall County??

Dick,

Here is a good article you can use to help with your decision,
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/02...s-nook-tablet/

The short version is:
For consumers who want a tablet mainly for media consumption, the Kindle Fire offers a vast library of titles to buy, rent or stream plus a strong selection of apps. However, itís not as well designed or as good a performer as the Nook Tablet.

Both the $199 8GB Nook Tablet model and the $249 16GB version offer a better reading experience and, though thereís not as comprehensive a media offering, Netflix and Hulu Plus have a good selection of television episodes and movies. Plus, the design and hardware mean youíll get better performance.

I recommend the Nook Tablet over the Kindle Fire. If your budget can only accommodate the $199 price range, the 8GB model is an excellent choice. However, if you can afford the extra $50, go for the 16GB model. Not only will you get more storage but a bump in performance as well.

Hope this helps!

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 10:59 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Sammie & both Granddaughters LOVE their Kindles. Sammie got to the point she did NOT enjoy reading books in the last few years. She had all but stopped reading till I got her a Kindle for her birthday last August. I think he has been thru about 15 or so books with the Kindle. Sammie likes the WiFi so she can get books almost anywhere. The also got the reading light & a cover. Just give us a call some evening & talk to her about it.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 11:00 am

Garage

The big problem with any of the color tablets is that you can't read the screen outside in full daylight. That includes the Nook Color, the Fire or even the Ipad.

If Wifey likes to read outside, the Amazon Kindle for $79 is a great bargain.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #5 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 11:20 am

My wife bought a color nook for my daughter this past christmas. The look on her face was of disappointment. She was used to playing with and reading on my first generation iPad. I then decided to play with the nook myself. Is it good for reading books on? Absolutely. Can you download apps on it. Absolutely. Is the screen big enough to surf the web on. Absolutely not. The print is just to small on the nook and perfect on the iPad. The nook mostly loads mobile web sites while the iPad can load full web pages. There is a huge difference in the contact of what you can see. I had the iPad set up to receive 4 different email accounts. Had 20 different movies on it. Magazines, books and my entire music library. The only problems with the first generation iPad are the inability to run flash and no camera. I am not saying the nook is a bad device because its not. It's just not for me. The nook now sits on my wife's night stand and is rarely used. No its not for sale.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Mucho thanks to all - got good notes and tips and suggestions from everyone, including the email comms. Especially liked the reference to the 'gottabemobile' site - thanks, John. Me thinks I'll forego the surprise part and instead, take her to the shopping block for a touchy-feely session. I'll point out what you folks mentioned - she's a pretty quick learner, so my job has been easy-peasy, thanks to you guys. Love this site!!! I gotta go scrounge in the *nooks* of the sofa and scrape up the loose change, cuz she'll max out the gift card!!! I know her!!
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Dick,

I have been doing a ton of international traveling lately, and firstly, I doubt she will be disappointed by the programming available on the flights. It's pretty good these days.

2ndly, I love my Kindle Fire. It has glitches, but the next best thing for the price is, nothing. For the price that is. Also, the Kindle size is great. And actually, I have a first generation Kindle that I would like to donate to someone that would get great use of it. Cost of shipping only.

As I mentioned, I've owned a Kindle since Gen 1, my wife has a Gen 3, and now I have the Fire. No where near as functional as an Ipad, but much smaller. Movies play and look great on it, but you have to download them in the USA before leaving.

That's my TCW. Let me know if there is time to send, and/or interest in that early Kindle model and I will have my wife ship it.

Check google for the pros and cons of early Kindles versus the Fire.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 12:28 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Dayle has been playing with the various Kindles for a while now, usually buying them used whenever the newer fancier ones come out. She recently decided to upgrade to a new Kindle, and did all the research.

She settled on the basic $79 Kindle, non-touch, non-keyboard, no 3G, just a good, solid e-Ink reader. She's very happy with it as it's light and does the job it was designed for very well.

For everything else, she flat loves her iPad. Mail, web, music, movies, apps, all work seamlessly. And the iPad e-reader apps are pretty good, including the Kindle app. But the e-Ink Kindles are simply better book readers. So on long trips, she carries both.

If Cheryl simply wants to read books, then for $79 you can't go wrong . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Ken. I value Dayle's opinion on her experience, and forwarded your post on to Cheryl. I have a feeling we may just be a two-reader owner! You know - one for her and one for ..... her!!!

Actually - a little aside - I've often wondered what I would do with an e-reader for books. I can't get into a bound book for more than a half-dozen pages and I'm sound asleep. Don't know where that came from, cuz I read a lot back in the day without the symptom. Heck, sometimes just reading these forrrr umm.....

Oh -- hello!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in