Important announcement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:04 am Thread Starter
Just ridin'

Important announcement

For years we have struggled to keep these forums alive. From both a financial and technical manpower respect, the demands are constant. The costs of equipment and hosting, social management, technical management and content management are demanding of our constant attention. Try as we might we were never able to find anyone technically capable of managing Andy’s side of the communities. With the drastic changes in the economy over the last few years, both Andy and I have found it more and more difficult to find the time to manage the communities. Coupling this with reduced member and vendor subscriptions and ever increasing costs, we have found it to be more and more difficult to pay the bills and manage the technical requirements of this community on our limited budget and thinly stretched personal time. The forced move of our servers last year really taxed us, both financially and in terms of time. Andy made it clear that his personal circumstances may not allow him the time should we encounter any technical emergencies. I certainly do not have the skills to do it without his help.

Late last year after the move it became very apparent that our income from supporters were not going to be enough to cover the costs of operation. The costs and time to move our equipment from California to Houston impacted us personally at a time when neither of us were in a position to deal with it. We were also way behind in making some much needed software updates to the community. We have been trying to find the time to do this for at least two years. We have been looking for ways to augment our income through advertising, but that also would require the time to update the forum software before we could even think of banner advertising, etc. Since neither of us could devote the time needed for these upgrades, we also were looking to find a long term solution for the technical aspects of maintaining this community. Through all of this we had to keep in mind that this community was very important to us and that we had to be very careful that our choices would protect and preserve its long-term survival.

The more we looked the less satisfying our options became. We then found the perfect solution which would insure the long term survival of this community, provide the technical support team and expertise to keep the forums growing and the resources to add valuable content on a regular basis. At the end of last year we decided to transfer ownership to motorcycle.com, who own many other motorcycle communities. The folks at www.motorcycle.com have become the preeminent force in motorcycle enthusiast web communities and are a natural fit for this community. Historically they have proven to be good shepherds of similar communities, keeping the structure of the communities and continuing the same management style. They will be adding some advertising, but there will be less for registered members and even less for supporting members.

This change in ownership need not affect the community in any way. The community’s strength is in its members - the change in ownership will only enhance the future stability of the services, and should not affect in any way how the community is managed. The real value of this transition is that there is a large and competent team in place to keep the machine going, instead of just a couple of guys with precious little free time. I plan to continue my role as an administrator and hope that all the other moderators and administrators continue on. Andy needs to focus his time on business and personal endeavors and cannot devote the time needed to administrate the community.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:07 am
Administrator

Garage
Re: Important announcement

Hi Everyone,

My name is Helena and I work for Motorcycle.com, as you have read above we are now the proud owners of BMWlt.com. I would like to start out with letting you all know that we are not here to close this site or change this community; we are here to help improve the functionality of the site and help it grow to a new level. We have a great team of tech support that is here to fix any functional issues you have with the site, and help keep the site updated and working. I am here whenever you need help with anything, or if you have a question or concern.

With that I would like you all to know that this is still YOUR community and we are here to work with the community and the existing staff to keep this site a place for you to come and feel at home.

Feel free to post your concerns or questions below or you can PM me any time, you may also email me at [email protected].

Thank you everyone.
Helena
post #3 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:54 am

Welcome.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #4 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Thanks for keeping us updated to the changes - we can only hope for much success in the new endeavor. My suggestion: can you make membership payments more obvious and easier to access? I hate to reveal my ignorance, but on the rare moments when I remember "it's probably time to renew my membership" I am unable to locate the Payment Button. After a few minutes of unsuccessful searches, I get distracted by the latest forum post and - end result: my good intentions line my path.

Kris Truitt

2005 K12LT (purch 12/1/12) Blue
1999 K1200LT Basalt Gray
1967 Yamaha 250 (gone)
1664 Honda S90 (gone)
post #5 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Welcome Helena, and thank you Randy and Andy for all your unsung hard work it making this site what it is. We all appreciate your efforts and I look forward to working with Motorcycles.com in the future.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:49 pm
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaT
Thanks for keeping us updated to the changes - we can only hope for much success in the new endeavor. My suggestion: can you make membership payments more obvious and easier to access? I hate to reveal my ignorance, but on the rare moments when I remember "it's probably time to renew my membership" I am unable to locate the Payment Button. After a few minutes of unsuccessful searches, I get distracted by the latest forum post and - end result: my good intentions line my path.
WE can definitely do that.

What you can do, go to your PM box, and on the left side you will see a side bar menu, At the bottom you should see paid subscriptions click that. But we can eventually get it put on the top nav bar.
post #7 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 2:32 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Welcome Helena, and thank you Randy and Andy for all your unsung hard work it making this site what it is. We all appreciate your efforts and I look forward to working with Motorcycles.com in the future.
Plus one as a long time member , Vendor & a super moderator I look forward to working with you & the New Owners.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Important announcement

Welcome Helena and motorcycle.com. I like to thank Randy and Andy for their fantastic efforts keeping the lights on!

Bill Van den Noort
2000 K1200lt
2017 R1200rt
Bmw Moa#96083
Bmw Ra #31818

post #9 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 3:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome!

And thanks to Randy, Andy and all of the Mods for all that they do/did to make this the number one forum on the Internet. It is by far the best and hopefully will continue in the same direction.

Some of the best friends I've never met.

The cheapest and best help I've ever received.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 7:39 pm

The LT sites have been a big part of my life enjoyment since 2000, so much so that I still check several times a week even though I have not had a motorcycle since late 2004. Hard for me to believe it has been that long since my last big accident!

Thanks Randy and Andy, more than I can express,

I do have one big question for the new owners!

One of the greatest things we had going here was all the years of techinical expertise in the Hall of Wisdom. That has been broken lately, and no longer works. Is all that mass of information gone for good? If so, it is an unestimable loss to this community. If that cannot be fixed, one of the best things we had, especially for newer members, is gone. I sure hope is just some corrupted settings, not a lost database!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 7:54 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I would also like to thank all of those who have worked behind the scene to make this site what it is. Hopefully this has taken a load off your shoulders that you all certainly deserve..

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 8:12 pm
Old Dawg

Randy and Andy, I know how hard you have both worked for this site and also know from personal experience (and with the HUGE assistance of you both helping me) with the Ducati.ms site what it is deal all the things behind the scenes. I sold Ducati.ms to motorcycle.com about 4 years ago and it was a very good move for me. Sure there are banners and ads now on the site (which keeps the lights on), but is well run both in the background and directly with members, they allow all the same people to stay on and manage the site in the same style that everyone has come to love and has almost zero down time.

I say BRAVO to ALL of your MANY years of hard work Randy and Andy and congratulations, you can now focus on the site and not worry about all the crap that happens in the server room!

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #13 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 9:48 pm

The years do fly by. Thanks Randy and Andy for your 100% dedication to providing this forum for learning and enjoyment.

Welcome aboard Helena.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #14 of 39 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:33 pm

I've been around here a long time and been involved as s a supporting member and super moderator for years. I think this is a wise and great move and will ensure the long term existence and health of this great community that has given birth to so many great friendships, not to mention the birth of the Curve Cowboy Reunion. Welcome to Helena and her team as thy join the family in helping us keep and make this great community alive and healthy!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #15 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:17 am

My sincere thanks to the odd duo ( no offense, I really like both of you) of Randy and Andy for all your work over the years. The same goes for the others that have contributed, and still do. This side has certainly drastically enhanced my motorcycling experience. I have met so many great people that I would have never met otherwise.

I now also participate in some other sites here in Europe, but I keep on comparing them to this one. Well, no offense to my european friends...

My hope is that the members hang around and that the advertising is motorcycle focused. I don't need to see another ED, tampon, or dating site ad, when I check this site early in the morning.

Welcome to the new owners!

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #16 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 1:18 am

Garage

I've been around here a while and witnessed the struggle...this is a good move.
post #17 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 5:31 am

Been a great run for the past 13 years or so, Randy. Starting with Wagner's site, the e-group and Yahoo forums and on to the current iteration. Should be looking forward to future improvements with fewer struggles. Kudos to you and Andy, and all the support team, for your tireless devotion in bringing the forums to the pinnacle of all things BMW Motorrad - two wheels style.

Wishing the best for the new 'steering committee', and I'll echo David Shealey's comments and suggestion regarding the HoW institution - would dearly hate to see it's demise. It's such a strong venue in providing guidance and historical solutions for BMW motorcycle owners and riders - heavily weighted to the flagship LT model. Love that feature!!!

Quick aside --- any significant changes to the CCR side of the house??

Thanks again, guys - and best always to Helena and the group.
post #18 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 9:06 am
Administrator

Garage

Thanks for the nice welcomes!

Someone asked about changes to the site, the answer is, we will add some more ads for guests. So this means if you are logged in you will not see them, but visitors will. Other then that, we don't change anything unless you ask for it to be changed.
post #19 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 9:55 am Thread Starter
Just ridin'

David;

The information is not gone. I am sure we can get it working again. I have to admit that I was unaware that it was broken,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The LT sites have been a big part of my life enjoyment since 2000, so much so that I still check several times a week even though I have not had a motorcycle since late 2004. Hard for me to believe it has been that long since my last big accident!

One of the greatest things we had going here was all the years of techinical expertise in the Hall of Wisdom. That has been broken lately, and no longer works. Is all that mass of information gone for good? If so, it is an unestimable loss to this community. If that cannot be fixed, one of the best things we had, especially for newer members, is gone. I sure hope is just some corrupted settings, not a lost database!

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #20 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:04 am

Can't say thanks enough to Randy and Andy and all the others in the background for their dedication to this site. I have made lifelong friends here. I am glad that the site live on, and am proud to continue my (annual membership) support.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #21 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:04 am Thread Starter
Just ridin'

Dick;

There are no changes to the CCR side of the house. The new owners have expressed a commitment to maintaining support for the charity, including forums and occasional top of forum promotion. Just as it always has been. The reason we chose motorcycle.com is that they "get it". They have shown that they truly know how to shepherd a community and I have little doubt that their impact will be positive and that the community will benefit from their involvement. They know it is in their best long term interest to keep the community feeling familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Quick aside --- any significant changes to the CCR side of the house??

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #22 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:45 pm Thread Starter
Just ridin'

David;

Thanks again for letting us know that the HoW is not working. The good news is that is a technical issue and the data is still all there. I will be working with motorcycle.com to get the necessary technical changes made and then I will correct any entries in the HoW templates. We should have it all up and running within a very few days.

Quote:

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #23 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
David;

Thanks again for letting us know that the HoW is not working. The good news is that is a technical issue and the data is still all there. I will be working with motorcycle.com to get the necessary technical changes made and then I will correct any entries in the HoW templates. We should have it all up and running within a very few days.
Sure glad it is just a "link" problem, which I was pretty sure it was. With all the work you and Andy have done to protect that knowledge base during other moves I was sure you would not let it get lost or damaged.

Thanks again for all your past efforts. This site would not be what it is if you, Andy, and several others over the years had not had it "under your wings".

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #24 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Just ridin'

I intend to stay on board. Hopefully my personal situation will improve and give me the free time to participate more. This site is a hobby for me as it is for a lot of you, but my business was impacted so much by the change in the economy in 2009, I have actually had to work 60 hour weeks again. For the first time in my adult life, I was without a motorcycle last winter. As it is for all of us, things are beginning to look marginally better, but the recovery is painfully slow.

Fortunately I am back on an Adventure and Michelle is back on her own BMW as of last spring. We are planning our first major Motorcycle trip in several summers, hoping to do Eastern Canada including Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island and culminating at CCR in Duluth. It is an ambitious plan covering about three weeks and 6000 miles, but it really looks like it might actually happen.

Quote:
Sure glad it is just a "link" problem, which I was pretty sure it was. With all the work you and Andy have done to protect that knowledge base during other moves I was sure you would not let it get lost or damaged.

Thanks again for all your past efforts. This site would not be what it is if you, Andy, and several others over the years had not had it "under your wings".

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #25 of 39 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler

+1

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #26 of 39 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 11:00 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Important announcement

Gosh, it's been almost 10 years since Rena and I joined this community, well before we even owned "Jenna" ( I remember the bemused looks in Breckenridge )
Andy, Randy, all the moderators, contributors, and friends of bmwlt.com;
this has been an awesome site and if a change in stewardship is required we trust your judgement.

Welcome aboard Helena, or as we often say, "welcome to the mad house"

An admin with "Junior member" status, now that has to be a first.

p.s. Rena's middle name is Helena, so you gotta be good.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #27 of 39 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Thanks Randy and Andy for all you did and all you do. I've received gobs of great info related to wrenching and keeping the bike on the road in a very cost effective way.
The advice and tips I get here from people I don't even know has been invaluable.
Like Dan said, "some of the best people I've never met".

But now there's this,
I just visited the motorcycle.com website and I have to tell you, it's a pretty decent site.
Married guys.....ya may not want to spend too much time on the motorcycle babes link.

http://www.motorcycle.com/babes/index.html

I'm just doing my civic duty to keep you guys out of the dog house

Yer welcome!!

BC
MOA 144103

1971 Yahama 250 (Yep that's an old two cycle street bike)
1972 Yamaha 350 (also a 2 cycle street)

1973 Yamaha 750
1983 Honda Shadow 500
2005 BMW 1200LT

post #28 of 39 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 2:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1635SMR
Seems like a nice feature, and without a boat to mess it up!

It's going to be interesting with the duplicate K1600 forums. It would be nice if there was a way to combine them. For some odd reason, my spell check doesn't work on the www.motorcycle.com site and it is definitely slower on my browser.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #29 of 39 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 4:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I can only echo the many thanks offered by our community to Andy and Randy for supporting our addiction to BMW motorcycles.
I have been a member for almost 8 years, shortly after I bought my first LT.
Since then I have attended several CCRs and met many members and made many friends.
I hope the new ownership won't have a negative impact on new memberships.
I know I'll continue to be a financial contributor; I have saved bunch of money through the years by learning to work on my own bike, and I want to give back.

Last but not least: Welcome Helena!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #30 of 39 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 7:39 am
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Gosh, it's been almost 10 years since Rena and I joined this community, well before we even owned "Jenna" ( I remember the bemused looks in Breckenridge )
Andy, Randy, all the moderators, contributors, and friends of bmwlt.com;
this has been an awesome site and if a change in stewardship is required we trust your judgement.

Welcome aboard Helena, or as we often say, "welcome to the mad house"

An admin with "Junior member" status, now that has to be a first.

p.s. Rena's middle name is Helena, so you gotta be good.
<<< cool i rarely find people with my name

Thanks for the welcomes all!
post #31 of 39 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 9:37 am

I can't count the number of times that this forum, and its predecessors, has been a significant help to me and my K1200LT. There really is no way to thank Randy and Andy for all that they have done through the years to make my LT ownership such a wonderful experience.

I'm sure its on your agenda already Randy but when you go to Nova Scotia this summer be sure to include the Cabot Trail. If you can squeeze another week in, take the ferry to Newfoundland and you will love Highway 1 (but watch for moose).

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #32 of 39 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 7:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Moderators, can we make this post a Sticky?
I think it is worth it.
Thanks! :-)

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #33 of 39 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 7:03 am
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Moderators, can we make this post a Sticky?
I think it is worth it.
Thanks! :-)

Done...
post #34 of 39 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 5:39 pm Thread Starter
Just ridin'

Quote:

One of the greatest things we had going here was all the years of techinical expertise in the Hall of Wisdom. That has been broken lately, and no longer works.
With some tremendous help from the staff at motorcycle.com and a little tweaking of the links, we have the archives as well as all of the links in the Hall of Wisdom back in operation.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #35 of 39 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 6:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Not that I didn't belive you Randy...so I checked a few. Thanks for the update!

I am sure Dick will be trolling them shortly.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Feb 29th, 2012 at 6:42 pm.
post #36 of 39 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Not that I didn't beleive you Randy...so I checked a few. Thanks for the update!

I am sure Dick will be trolling them shortly.
Whew!!!! Gonna sleep better tonite, John!!!

Thanks all.
post #37 of 39 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 7:41 pm

PM system seems to be working fine also. Thanks.

Now to the pics uploads.
post #38 of 39 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Can we have the crapper back eh?

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #39 of 39 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 7:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Welcome!

And thanks to Randy, Andy and all of the Mods for all that they do/did to make this the number one forum on the Internet. It is by far the best and hopefully will continue in the same direction.

Some of the best friends I've never met.

The cheapest and best help I've ever received.
+1

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in