Sturmflut 1962 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 3:07 pm Thread Starter

Sturmflut 1962

Here is another bit of history for y`all. It may not mean much to you but here it means a lot and will be in peoples memory for ever and ever.
The 16th of February 1962 the time of the "Grosse Manntränke" or the great "Man-drown" storm of Hamburg.
A hurricane storm flooded most of the north sea coast, Hamburg was hit hard, twas the perfect storm, officially 315 persons died when the dykes broke, as the south of the city was inhabited by refugees from the east, there since 1945, the real number is known only to god
The Senator Helmut Schmidt (German Bundeskanzler from 1974 to 1982) broke the German constitution and all international laws by begging for help from the American, British, Dutch occupying forces and of course the soldiers of the newly formed Bundeswehr. Helicopter pilots and soldiers from all nations responded and risked their lives rescuing people from the freezing water.
They overrode their orders and procedures, fueled their choppers, transport planes, trucks, rubber boats and just went in.
This was also the finest hour of the newly formed German Bundeswehr.
They are known as the angels of 1962, Germany will always remember the heroes.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 3:22 pm
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

Re: Sturmflut 1962

Isn't it nice when people just do the right thing, and take care of one another?

Thanks for the reminder.
post #3 of 3 Old Feb 17th, 2012, 2:18 am

Re: Sturmflut 1962

I was 16 years old and lived not far from Hamburg at the time. We were spared the flood, but I remember convoys of military trucks from various nations loaded with dead cows and pigs going to a nearby plant that processed carcasses into fertilizers etc.

Not a pretty sight, and pretty smelly. But I remember my dad telling me that without the help from the various NATO forces this would have been a major health hazard. He also said the soldiers were saving human life's by volunteering for this most unpleasant job. Helmut Schmidt is still alive and I consider him one of the best and most pragmatic politicians ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Schmidt

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Last edited by Wolfgang; Feb 17th, 2012 at 2:24 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in