Tempur-Pedic Mattress help/suggestions needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 6:27 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Tempur-Pedic Mattress help/suggestions needed

My wife has decided that she likes them and we have a $1,500 store credit. The mattress will cost quite a bit more than that and "store policy" is that we don't get their standard 100 day return if we don't like it.

Do you own one of them? They have, like normal mattresses, different levels of firmness. Any suggestions, things to ask for or hints?

I can sleep on just about anything, wife seems to be particular. I'm looking for as much information as possible and this seems to be one of the BEST sources on knowledge.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 6:59 am

Re: Tempur-Pedic Mattress help/suggestions needed

I took the $400 tempur pedic mattress only, up to the barn. It is great for tossing onto the cement floor in the real cold weather, in the open barn. It used to be in one of the bedrooms. I think its the same mattress; foam, not air.

Very comfy.

Problem is the thing conforms so well to your body that you sweat all night. Not in the cold though, its more like a heating pad which is great.

In the heat, not a chance!

They sure are comfy on old bones no matter, I can say that
post #3 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 7:43 am

Dan, I have owned and slept on a firm Tempur-Pedic Mattress for 6 years. The wife and I both love it. I have not found that it is hot. One of the issues expressed to me was that it conforms to your body so well that you will have trouble rolling over. I have not found that to be true either. This thing has me so spoiled that when staying at a motel, sleeping on a regular inner spring mattress I am very uncomfortable.
If something were to happen to it today I would be buying another this evening.
Inner spring.............Harley
Tempur-Pedic Mattress...............LT

post #4 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 7:52 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for both comments.

I have heard that they can be hot and the model that we are looking at is promoted as not having that problem. It's hot down here, but we seem to use the AC a lot more as the temperature rises..

Can't believe that it weighs about 800 pounds or as much as my bike. Now if it falls over, how do I pick it up again?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 7:56 am

Another very similar option is latex.
also a heavy beast but a bit softer than a tempur.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 7:59 am

I don't know what you are looking at but mine does not weigh 800 pounds.
It is heavier than a standard inner spring mattress but not 800 pounds.
The wife and I have carried it. I promise you that if it were 800 pounds, that wouldn't have happened.
post #7 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 8:03 am

I'm permanently messed up from totalling my LT a couple years back... right shoulder/side is the worst, left shoulder is a bit ruff with a type 1 separation (type 3 on the right).

I had to sleep in a lazy boy sitting up for almost a year before I could lay down on my back (broke a bunch of stuff hehehe). And I'm a side sleeper big time

Just to give you some perspective. I had no problem rolling around on that thing, although yes, there is more resistance to do so!

And I don't have nearly as much trouble sleeping on my shoulders with that mattress. It is very comfy!

The only complaint I've ever heard was the heat issue. Even in AC it can be warm. Maybe those fancy silk sheets are the answer.

Sleeping out in the open barn in 35-55 deg's F, thats when you REALLY appreciate that close up feeling with yer mattress
post #8 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 8:09 am

Dan I found the following weight charts. No where near 800 pounds for any of them:

HOW MUCH DO THE MATTRESSES WEIGH?
Boxed (per piece) weights are below.

Classic:
Twin—60 lbs.; Twin Long—65 lbs.; Double—90 lbs.;
Double Long—90 lbs.; Queen—105 lbs.; Split Queen—55 lbs.;
King—125 lbs.; CA King—125 lbs.; Split CA King—65 lbs.

Deluxe:
Twin—70 lbs.; Twin Long—75 lbs.; Double—100 lbs.;
Double Long—110 lbs.; Queen—120 lbs.; Split Queen—65 lbs.;
King—145 lbs.; CA King—145 lbs.; Split CA King—80 lbs.

The CelebrityBed by Tempur-Pedic:
Twin Long—98 lbs.; Queen—165 lbs.; King—185 lbs.; CA King—149 lbs.

HOW MUCH DO THE FOUNDATIONS WEIGH?
Boxed (per piece) weights are as follows:
Twin—50 lbs.; Twin Long—50 lbs.; Double—60 lbs.;
Double Long—65 lbs.; Queen—75 lbs.;
Split Queen—50 lbs.; Split CA King—50 lbs.
post #9 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 8:14 am

Dan, check this out:

http://www.foamorder.com/tempur-pedic_4.html
post #10 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 8:29 am

Dan, I am on my second one and it is the best I have owned and my wife also is very particular and she absolutely loves it.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #11 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Thanks for both comments.

I have heard that they can be hot and the model that we are looking at is promoted as not having that problem. It's hot down here, but we seem to use the AC a lot more as the temperature rises..

Can't believe that it weighs about 800 pounds or as much as my bike. Now if it falls over, how do I pick it up again?
However if it does weigh that, just back up to it and lift with your legs.
post #12 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 9:34 am

Dano, We got one because my wife and I like different levels of firmness. The mattress solves that problem. The King size , after a period of time, develops a very noticable ridge/trough in the center which can become annoying if you get too far across the center. Also had a problem with one of the air chambers leaking down and had to have the mattress replaced under warranty, but they didn't do the work replacing it, we had to take it out of the house, put it in a trailer and take it to the place, get another mattress and reinstall it on the bed. Since I couldn't locate any help, it was quite a chore for Gretchen and me.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #13 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 10:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Dan, my wife and I have slept on a Tempur Pedic for about a year now. Absolutely LOVE it and will never have anything else. We bought one primarily because my wife was having a lot of discomfort and not sleeping well on our current mattress. I didn't realize just how uncomfortable I was until I started sleeping on the Tempur-Pedic. There are no sore spots in the morning and I sleep better than I ever have. Neither of us have found it to be hot...we did buy the cover that helps it breathe. We also bought the Tempur Pedic pillows and have been very happy with them as well. Overall, an excellent investment in a great night's sleep.

The mattress does require some break-in as it will feel very firm at first. Over time (took a couple of weeks), the break in occurs and it just keeps getting more comfortable. My wife and I can lift it, so no way it is anywhere near 800 lbs.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #14 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 11:23 am

An alternative is the Dr. Breus bed. It addresses the issue of the heat the tempurpedic creates. It is just as expensive though. And not many places have them now. His manufacturer has filed bankruptcy or gone out of business. I chose his bed because of the material they use to manage the temps. Got mine last year and I can't imagine how I slept on a spring mattress before. Some stores might still have them but they are down to what is in stock and on the floor.
post #15 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 2:35 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

We have a Sealy Latex Mattress & love it. We have had it about 6 years & it still sleeps great. The big plus is it breathers better the the others so you do not get hot on the warm summer nights.

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 5:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for all of the good information... My wife appreciates it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #17 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 6:58 pm

May I suggest a memory foam topper (King size) for $190.00 delivered to your door before you commit to $2K:

Costco - Visco Memory Foam Topper with 300TC Cover

If you current mattress is still in good condition and not sagging this may be a viable alternative - and if not you can always take it back to your local Costco at any time and get your money back!

Memory foam DOES tend to be warm if you sleep directly on it separated only by a thin sheet or Walmart mattress pad - but you can buy a quality quilted 100% Primaloft® pad resembling natural down that is very cool and comfy. No matter what mattress you eventually end up with you'll need one of these anyway - so it's a good investment. You should be able to find one on sale for about $70.00.

Think I'll go take a nap!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #18 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 6:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I guess I am old school here as we have been on a water bed for the last 30 years. Love being able to turn up the heater in the winter (warm bed) and turn it down in the summer (cool bed). But it is getting harder to roll over as I get fatter and older so we have been thinking about the Tempur Pedic as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Hello Dan

We have one , no one has us by the $2500 shorts , some like it some do not , I think it is HOT almost all the time , wife thinks it is hot in the summer . Ours developed low spots
< year - I am 195 lbs , wife much smaller . We are not foam mattress people . We found a local old school mattress company = Edna Mattress in Edna KS , got one for the RV , old style flipable inter spring and love it , asked the owner about warrantee ,
"we don't have one but if something goes wrong bring it back and I will fix it "
I would not purchase one with a no return option .

Thx Bob G
post #20 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 9:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
May I suggest a memory foam topper (King size) for $190.00 delivered to your door before you commit to $2K:

Costco - Visco Memory Foam Topper with 300TC Cover

If you current mattress is still in good condition and not sagging this may be a viable alternative - and if not you can always take it back to your local Costco at any time and get your money back!

Memory foam DOES tend to be warm if you sleep directly on it separated only by a thin sheet or Walmart mattress pad - but you can buy a quality quilted 100% Primaloft® pad resembling natural down that is very cool and comfy. No matter what mattress you eventually end up with you'll need one of these anyway - so it's a good investment. You should be able to find one on sale for about $70.00.

Think I'll go take a nap!

Thanks Ron,

All good suggestions but the sagging is the problem.

The reason we have the credit is because the present 10 year old bed is sagging about 1 3/4 " as per their measurements. Otherwise, I'd keep it. Actually I don't even notice it. Wife does and the store is refunding what we paid as a credit. Choice is the same or go for the Tempur Pedic. They have a Sealy that is not supposed to get hot, but we'll see. Company VP is supposed to call me back by Wednesday.

The Sealy comes with a 20 year warenty. Lots of small print!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #21 of 33 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 9:15 pm

We have had their Cal king mattress for a number of years, took about a week to get used to it, would buy another if need be. It probably is a bit warm, but that works for me as I use a comforter year round.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #22 of 33 Old Jan 27th, 2012, 3:48 pm

The new Serta Icomfort is not supposed to be as hot as the Tempurpedic; but I have no direct personal knowledge if that is true or not. Might want to check them out.
post #23 of 33 Old Jan 27th, 2012, 6:01 pm
Old Dawg

While on this discussion, has anyone tried the Sleep Number beds?

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #24 of 33 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 10:46 am

Hey Dano, did you get a mattress?
post #25 of 33 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
While on this discussion, has anyone tried the Sleep Number beds?
Yep - it's the last sleep-system we'll ever buy. Cheryl has a chronic back problem from a years-ago car accident. Been thru several varieties of coil-spring mattresses, which left her in almost worse shape in the mornings than when she went to bed prior evening. Thought a waterbed wuz gonna be the answer, and altho it did provide her with a somewhat restful sleep many nights once we got the water volume right, it wuzn't 100% effective. Bought a Sleep Number bed - and while I'm assembling the dang thang, I'm thinking this is snake-oil bedding at it's best; it ain't gonna work - no way! Hell, inflatable camping mattresses are easier to put together and are prolly just as effective!!

Wrongo!! Took her about a week of adjusting and fine-tuning for firmness and feel, and Wallawalla - no more groans and tears during the night; no more back complaints in the mornings; no more sleeping in the recliner! She loves it, and if tornado, fire, flood, or earthquake toasted this one, there is cubby-hole money set aside for an immediate replacement!!
post #26 of 33 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 2:24 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot
The new Serta Icomfort is not supposed to be as hot as the Tempurpedic; but I have no direct personal knowledge if that is true or not. Might want to check them out.
Delivered today! Going to try it out tonight. We have 30 days to decide. The main reason was my wife's back. Seems to wake up most mornings in pain.

If this doesn't work, one Serta Icomfort for sale and then we'll try the Sleep Number..... Me, I can sleep on anything...Guess opposites attract!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #27 of 33 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Delivered today! Going to try it out tonight. We have 30 days to decide. The main reason was my wife's back. Seems to wake up most mornings in pain.

If this doesn't work, one Serta Icomfort for sale and then we'll try the Sleep Number..... Me, I can sleep on anything...Guess opposites attract!
Congrats, Dan. I also can basically sleep on anything...but you would have to take my Tempur Pedic from my cold, dead hands now.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #28 of 33 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 4:15 pm
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Yep - it's the last sleep-system we'll ever buy. Cheryl has a chronic back problem from a years-ago car accident. Been thru several varieties of coil-spring mattresses, which left her in almost worse shape in the mornings than when she went to bed prior evening. Thought a waterbed wuz gonna be the answer, and altho it did provide her with a somewhat restful sleep many nights once we got the water volume right, it wuzn't 100% effective. Bought a Sleep Number bed - and while I'm assembling the dang thang, I'm thinking this is snake-oil bedding at it's best; it ain't gonna work - no way! Hell, inflatable camping mattresses are easier to put together and are prolly just as effective!!

Wrongo!! Took her about a week of adjusting and fine-tuning for firmness and feel, and Wallawalla - no more groans and tears during the night; no more back complaints in the mornings; no more sleeping in the recliner! She loves it, and if tornado, fire, flood, or earthquake toasted this one, there is cubby-hole money set aside for an immediate replacement!!
Thanks for the feedback, I need to replace our mattress fairly soon and I have read good things about these but not spoken with someone that actually had one so I can weed through the hype.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #29 of 33 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 5:30 pm

Excellent question/thread. Wife & I are also looking very seriously at a tempur-pedic.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #30 of 33 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 7:20 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
Excellent question/thread. Wife & I are also looking very seriously at a tempur-pedic.
Ask me again in several weeks.

I've heard and read that the Tempur-Pedic can get warm. That was why we got the Serta Icomfort. It is not supposed to get as warm.

and that's all I know about that!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #31 of 33 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 8:11 pm

We have slept on a waveless water bed for about 25 years now, don't think anything would be better for us. We have had to replace the mattress in it once though.

We bought a 2" gel memory topper from Costco for our guest bed, everyone who has used it loved it, recently bought another one for my daughter for Christmas. They love it! Sure a lot cheaper than a whole memory foam mattress, and if your base mattress is in good shape it is just about as good.

We are sticking with our waterbed though. As someone else said, sure nice to turn up the temp on it a couple degrees in winter, back down in summer.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #32 of 33 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Congrats, Dan. I also can basically sleep on anything...but you would have to take my Tempur Pedic from my cold, dead hands now.
+1
post #33 of 33 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

35 years on a standard waterbed.
As I got older, I'd just push off and wait for the tide to come in..............
We did recently get a pillow top 2K mattress and I love it ........(waterbed was too low)..
only problem was finding sheets to fit an 18" high mattress...........tightly.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in