My neice is getting a new hot rod this week. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 6:53 am Thread Starter

My neice is getting a new hot rod this week.

After spending a month in a coma exactly one year ago....

It comes with two batteries, can run 24 hours on a single charge, has a car charger and bluetooth, it's own air pump to adjust for barometric pressure changes, and a choice of 18 different feet depending on the activity you want to engage in.

MPC knee video

It's all due to the generosity of Freedom Innovations and complete strangers - and the total LACK of compassion of the evil giant Cigna Insurance company who took her last leg back on December 20, 1010. Merry Christmas, now get back on your crutches Brittany.

The Long Road Back | MailTribune.com

Generous spirit helps amputee | MailTribune.com

What they didn't cover is that her Dad passed away just a couple of years ago, and that I'll be proudly walking her down the aisle in August. I've got the second dance reserved at the reception. I'll need to bring lots of tissue.

(through this entire ordeal she has also managed to maintain a 4.2 grade average in college)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Britt.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	34265  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jan 19th, 2012 at 7:39 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 7:12 am

Re: My neice is getting a new hot rod this week.

Awesome, Ron!!!! Congratulations to Brittany. Good things to come, I'm sure.
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 7:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dick and yep, for the first time in a year she is looking ahead instead of behind...

I still can't believe that Cigna bailed on her when she needed them the most.

$25,000 to a billion dollar insurance company is like you or me finding a nickel buried in our couch - and not giving it to someone that could really use it. They should be ashamed of their denial - after hitting her lifetime cap (which she easily blew way past after a month at Stanford in the ICU) - they send her an ice cold letter saying they can't pop for another few pennies to make her whole.

Right before Christmas? The definition of Scrooge, Inc. - except this time Scrooge will not be redeemed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim and Scrooge.png
Views:	60
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	34266  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jan 19th, 2012 at 7:46 am.

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 7:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Ron,

She's truely an inspiration for realizing that health is our most important concern. I know that I'll be getting back on the NordicTrack TODAY! The middle age spread is my most pressing concern, but if left unchecked, I'll be looking at serious health issues down the road and I'd hate to find out about coverage as your neice has.

Thanks for letting us in on her great news.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 7:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Hi Ron,

She's truely an inspiration for realizing that health is our most important concern. I know that I'll be getting back on the NordicTrack TODAY! The middle age spread is my most pressing concern, but if left unchecked, I'll be looking at serious health issues down the road and I'd hate to find out about coverage as your neice has.

Thanks for letting us in on her great news.

Jer
THAT is a great attitude Jer - I'll do an extra couple of laps right along with 'ya and eat some extra broccoli tonight.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 8:33 am

I have to deal with insurance company's almost every day. It's sad that we have to pay into them and then get a denial letter.
Good on her and she sounds like the attitude isn't going to slow her down.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 9:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

What a terrific attitude she has! You must be one proud uncle.

Nuts to CIGNA! But in their defense, that $25k is needed for an executive bonus. You wouldn't want someone making $250k a year to lose their bonus, would you?

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 9:33 am

That's great news Ron...

It's not sad, Or too bad about the insurance company... They are criminals...

A government backed conspiracy to generate profit.. That's what an insurance company is..

Because the internet is policed bye you know who I'm not at liberty anymore to say what I think should be done....

But suffice it to say it's the same that should be done with our corrupt government...

Good luck to your neice and her future...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 9:44 am

I'll second what John said........they are criminals.

All the best to your niece and prayers are ascending .........Keep the faith.

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 10:15 am

Amazing isn't it? A young person with their whole life ahead..

and yet we spend over 50% of our health care dollars on folks during the last 5 yrs of their lives.

best of luck to her, I'm sure that pot of gold will keep growing along with the young lady that needs it
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 10:38 am

WOW... Just reading that has my heart in my throat. Prayers and best wishes for Brittany and family. Just a wonderful attitude.

The whole thing, the whole story, just chap's my ass...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #12 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 1:09 pm

What a beautiful and courageous young woman. She seems to be the embodiment of the expression, "What does not kill us makes us stronger." Ron, I would like to help with a donation for her new hot rod. Is the fund in the newspaper article the best place to make a donation. Please PM me.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
What a beautiful and courageous young woman. She seems to be the embodiment of the expression, "What does not kill us makes us stronger." Ron, I would like to help with a donation for her new hot rod. Is the fund in the newspaper article the best place to make a donation. Please PM me.
WOW!

That was absolutely not expected or anticipated and I am incredibly grateful for such a wonderful gesture. Brittany is an amazing, sweet young woman and will be stunned that you care so much. PM'd you!

Guys: honestly this is not why I posted - it was more to vent my disappointment (well, ok - outright anger) at Cigna for being so cruel - figuratively tripping her right at the finish line of a marathon.

Man, I gotta' go get some Kleenex, I' m sittin' hear dripping all over the keyboard....

Again, a heartfelt THANK YOU.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 6:24 am

That was an amazing read Ron! I have seen some really positive attitudes on the news about people having to overcome drastic circumstances, this is one of the top ones yet!

If I was head of that insurance company, I would make sure it was given back to her, heck, I would never have taken it back in the first place! Glad she is getting on with life with a great attitude.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 7:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Good for your niece, Ron. An amazing story.

Wouldn't it be great if this got Cigna's attention and they realized how their actions affected their policyholder, and they made it right? Redemption - yes!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 7:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

For those that want more info on the company Click Here!

I've also done a D&B through a subscription Search Engine and it's a viable company.
My check is in the mail to:

Spectrum Orthotics and Prosthetics Inc.
Attn: Brittany Miller's Fund
1180 Crater Lake Ave
Medford, OR 97504

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #17 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 8:20 am

This is so moving, I had trouble reading it to my wife.

This feeling of assistance is not for a fellow rider but for his extended family.
It doesn't get much better than this.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2012, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
For those that want more info on the company Click Here!

I've also done a D&B through a subscription Search Engine and it's a viable company.
My check is in the mail to:

Spectrum Orthotics and Prosthetics Inc.
Attn: Brittany Miller's Fund
1180 Crater Lake Ave
Medford, OR 97504
Paul, thanks SO much for your generous contribution - I'll let you know how she's doing with her new leg. She was a cheerleader and number one ranked swimmer also, so her athletic skills should be a huge help in getting back to a normal life.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in