How can I convince my wife to go camping? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

How can I convince my wife to go camping?

I guess this is as good a place as any to seek marital advise.
We're getting ready for our "big" trip, the Southern route out west then ziggyzaggy around to points of interest in a clockwise direction around the US.
We plan to be gone around 3 months or however long I can make the 10k that I have budgeted last. Now I know I can make it go a whole lot further if I could just convince her to camp, every time I bring up the subject it gets shot down, the main issue being a "clean" bathroom.
She's only camped a few times (the last time at BMW national in Lima) and I must admit she has a good argument regarding the facilities.
All I need is a tree and a lake and I'm happy, she wants a motel.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:31 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Give it up. You're not going to 'win' this one unless you can find some cabins with non-shared facilities.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:39 pm

DON'T watch any reruns of "easy rider."

post #4 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Donít give up, thereís always the chance she will see the light. Iíve found that most state campgrounds have clean modern facilities. I prefer National Forrest campgrounds myself, much more isolated but much more primitive (pit toilets). Look online for nice campgrounds and then follow up the next night in a fancy hotel/motel to help make up the difference. She just might think a beautiful sunset over the lake is worth more that little bars of soap and that pointy end on the toilet paper.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Have you considered an alternative to your accomdations? Why not look into staying at hostels as an alternative. They are cheaper than hotels/motels, cleaner and less work than camping, and you meet a lot of interesting travelers along the way. Food for thought.
post #6 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 2:00 pm

By the way...during last year's Seattle/CCR trip, I stayed in a little mom&pop motel in the middle of Nebraska on the way back home. $19 a night! I think it may have been the cleanest motel room I've ever rented.
post #7 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Staying at a hotel without a reservation is my wife's idea of camping.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 2:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
About the only thing you can do is find a local campground that is clean, with excellent facilities and stunning scenery, and take her there for an overnight run before the big trip. Scout it out and choose the place carefully. If she sees it's not as bad as she thought, then maybe you have a chance. If she still isn't satisfied, then just leave all the camping gear at home and plan on motels for the whole trip. Much easier than leaving the wife behind.

BTW, I've been in cheap motels that were quite run down and a lot messier than some campgrounds. You just never know what you'll get, unless you stick with a larger chain hotel. But then the price rises dramatically.

Still, it sounds like an excellent trip.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Camp at the Ramada?
post #10 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 2:32 pm

BTDT, give it up.

My wife's ideal of "roughing it" is a hotel without room service.

regards
post #11 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Hans,
My wife (and even I) weren't campiging minded until year ago.
I used to camp when I was young, but that was it.
Then I met this guy who really knows how to camp. He teach us how to choose a good tent, a very good slepping bag and an excelent sleeping pad.
With those 3 good itens, the wife and I are camping almost every time for the last 12 months.
If you can have a warm and comfortable night sleep, I would say that it will improve your chances on bringing your wife a lot.
We have stay mostly on KOA's but some few nights we spend in the very willderns without complains.
If you want, I can give you a sugestion list on what brand names we are using. All fit inside one duffle bag on the top of back case (tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pads, cookware, tent footprint and poles).

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #12 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 2:34 pm

One idea is make it a blend of accomodations. Work in a motel night every 3-4 days and then pop for a real nice place every couple weeks. A couple days in a jacuzzi suite and a few hours at a day spa can change a pillions disposition and make the days on the ground, including yours, a lot more palatable. Facing the prospect of camping for 12 weeks makes me cringe.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #13 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 2:38 pm

Two Theories

There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
post #14 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 3:29 pm

Been motorcycle camping for 35+ years. In order to appease the little woman don't ride more than 8 hrs a day; break camp by 0730; on the road at 0800; numerous breaks; start looking for KOA/Good Sam campgrounds around 1500 (sorry... 3PM) to be registered by 4PM.

Use air matress rather than a pad; 12v blow up in no time (great nights sleep). All this means planning to tow a trailer or you'll be sleeping by yourself. Breakfast/lunch on the road; maybe cook for dinner at the campground (you do the cooking & cleanup). Make Mrs happy to be on vacation too.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #15 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Hans - here is my formula for comfort:

#1 - A good tent that is easy to set up - I purchased a 4 man "air-zone" - there are no poles, just hook up the 12 volt compressor and "watch it happen". I choose the 4-man so that it could accommodate item #2 and still have room for maneuvering.

#2 - A queen size (six inches deep) inflatabe mattress (there is a pattern happening here) that hooks to the 12 volt compressor.
#3 - I have never used this (a tree works for me) but if I was taking a wife, and I had a trailer, I would purchase a small portable biffy.
Another great cost-saving measure would be to check "room availability" with the "family" on this site. I will start the offer by saying that if you are any-where in the Alberta area a very nice suite is available to you anytime !!
post #16 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Roy,
How big is your driveway. I'm only 59 ft. (18 meters if your to young to remember the old measurement). Be careful some of us may take you up on your offer.

Rick
post #17 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 5:01 pm

And you are welcome to . What are you thinking of getting out of the upcoming heat-----It's a long way from Alabama to Alberta unless your on two wheels
post #18 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 5:33 pm

I am siding with your wife! Camping on a bike is not my "cup of tea"!

The only alternative would a motorcycle campground. We have several with in a 2-3 hour drive of here and there are all nice and clean.

Otherwise, hotel it! Your wife will make your life much better! LOL

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #19 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Get some additional knowledge - women love to think that their man has at all under control at all times: (or just let her think you do!)

http://www.ibmc.org/

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCcamping/start

1. The ONLY way I get Amy to go with me is to promise her to stay in a NICE hotel or resort every two nights or so. You might have to shell out a couple of hundred bucks a night, but you'll enjoy it as well.

2. Buy the best expedition quality tent you can find - there is nothing worse than a tent that blows over, leaks, rips, etc. - always (of course) in the middle of the night.

3. Some of the RV resorts have amazing facilities and are exceptionally clean, you'll pay for it of course in a relatively high tent fee. Some of them are really anti-motorcycle, but I found with a little charm and showing them that my bike is quieter than most motor home generators I can weasle my way into the best of 'em. The fact it is a BMW does not hurt either.

4. Oh, yeah - a trailer is a must so she can carry more than 1 pair of shoes and several outfits. I nick named her Imelda. Amy, that is.

5. Research in advance where you think you might want to stay along your route - you'll have a lot less chance of staying in a dump and have at least a "plan" in mind. Calling that morning for a site that afternoon is a great idea - nothing worse than being turned away because they are full, and then having to "punt" at dusk...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #20 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Garage
When my wife and I camp, we stay at private campgrounds. The public ones are cleaned maybe once a day but many private campgrounds clean them hourly. We purchase the Woodall's Guide to RV and tent camping. We stay a two to three star campgrounds. It may cost $20-30 a night but is worth the hours of not hearing complaints.

On long trips, I've found that if we mix tent camping with stays in 3 star chain motels (Days Inn and Comfort Inn quality) with a night or two in a better chain (Marriott or Hyatt) life on the road is good!

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodalls.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2580  

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #21 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 8:27 pm

I'm taking a different approach to answering your question. I actually asked my wife. We live in an RV all the time but still go camping in a tent via motorcycle, bicycle, or foot.

My wife says, before she can have much input she needs to know how much of a girly-girl she is.

A woman with full face makeup, hair done, lotions, perfume, and hates any temperature other than 72 degrees, 18/7 is a 10 on the G-G scale. If she can't take her helmet off with out touching up hair and makeup, you had better save more money for a 3 month MC trip. She will need an airplane ticket home.

If she understands spending 4 nights a week in a tent by a babbling brook or near the rim with perfect sunsets is an experience not to be missed, she is a 4 on the G-G scale. Get a trailer (you'll need it unless you like doing laundry every other day), best tent, and sleeping bags you can afford, and go for it. Ron had great input about equipment, and Bob Morrow was right about a couple of nights camping and couple of nights in motels. Strsout tells it right, learn as much as possible before you hit the road.

Be careful with air mattresses in cold climates (high altitude) with out some insulation between you and the air.

Of course none of us are married to a 1. Hair under the arms, on the legs, and dreadlocks. The dreadlocks are the only thing that gets me, not that there is anything wrong with dreadlocks.

Let her know that there are some fantastic places the government has not allowed them to build motels, YET, but you can still pitch a tent.

Two more things. First,don't make an itinerary so hard and fast that you can't add a side trip to some great place you found out about last night. Second, don't try to see everything in 3 months. Every couple of weeks plan to stop for several days and just lay around and smell the roses or coffee.

Vicki and Rick
post #22 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
1. The ONLY way I get Amy to go with me is to promise her to stay in a NICE hotel or resort every two nights or so. You might have to shell out a couple of hundred bucks a night, but you'll enjoy it as well.
At that point, why not just stay in an affordable room EVERY night? Help me with your math Ron!
post #23 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the great response, lots of good info to check out,
and I think taking her for a trial run to a nice place might be a good start.
To add a little information, we are definitely taking a trailer, love that Bushtec.
Even for moteling she's taking: a couple of pillows and her own electric tea pot
She is not the rugged outdoors type on the girlygirl scale with Barbi being a 10 and Rosanne a 1,
she's about a 6, always a lady, very little makeup and no perfume,
when she's not on the bike she's wearing skirts.
The camping gear I've got is pretty good, 4 man Eddie Bauer tent, therma-rests, mummy bags and fleece "bags" I'll have to admit we have not camped any really nice places,
mostly at rally's with a few hundred or thousand bikers.
Last year I drug a Bunkhouse camper with AC from FL to the UP of michigan 4000 miles and in 19 days with a couple of nights at my brothers house we stayed in it three nights, 2 in Lima.
When I got home I sold the camper. It's not in my nature to quit or "give up" but that may be the easy way out this time.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #24 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
At that point, why not just stay in an affordable room EVERY night? Help me with your math Ron!
Pretty hard to argue with that logic,
but maybe he just likes to camp?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #25 of 31 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 9:36 pm

Good advice above, your idea of a test flight sounds good. Hide a bag with wine, candles, chocolate and try to woo her.

OTOH... you got a gal that WILL travel for weeks at a time on a bike!

Mebbee just count your blessings and enjoy the motel.

Some here have wives that won't even get on the bike.
post #26 of 31 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 5:50 am

Blessed indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Good advice above, your idea of a test flight sounds good. Hide a bag with wine, candles, chocolate and try to woo her.

Some here have wives that won't even get on the bike.
You are right, some woman will not even touch a bike. My wife on the other hand rides everywhere with me. Even when I had a cruiser she rode back with me from Cleburne, Texas back to Georgia from 6 AM to 1 AM the next day. (We had to stop every 130 miles for fuel).

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #27 of 31 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
You are right, some woman will not even touch a bike. My wife on the other hand rides everywhere with me. Even when I had a cruiser she rode back with me from Cleburne, Texas back to Georgia from 6 AM to 1 AM the next day. (We had to stop every 130 miles for fuel).
On that I'm blessed too!
we ride 2 up always. Long days on the saddle (10+ hours) and sometimes bad campsites/motel, but she is always there.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #28 of 31 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:54 am

Make it a win win. Stay some nights camping and stay some nights in a room. Give and take. Thank you...I will be here all week!

Donald
NW Arkansas
2006 K1200LT Blackish sorta kinda
BMWMOA #124197
AMA #925041

The difference between committed and involved is like a ham and egg breakfast, the chicken was involved...the pig was committed!
post #29 of 31 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 1:44 pm

something different

Nobody mentioned the popup camper! Easy, easy set up. If you are trailering it anyway why not the popup? There is room for storage as well. Set up in 5 minutes, hit the pool at the KOA or Good Sams. queen size bed. room to stand and dress. take it anywhere the bike will go including those out of the way places.
Recommend zip together bags, we like to snuggle and my wife hates mummy bags.
Let your wife pick the camping spots. She can call ahead and get the skinny on them before you get there.
Wife and I will camp anywhere but a shower after a couple days does wonders. So too does the Dr. Bronners pepermint soap in a stream or river, air dry in the sun and you feel like your in heaven.
Take her shopping for skirts that pack easily, dry fast if washed on the road, and don't mind wrinkles. Nothing like getting into a skirt after a long ride.
Win, Win.
post #30 of 31 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parishollow
Nothing like getting into a skirt after a long ride.
Win, Win.
I'm assuming your wife told you that, ............right?

....... never mind I don't want to know

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #31 of 31 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith

well put keith,
I think you just put things into perspective,
I should be counting my blessings instead of complaining about not getting my way.
I'm lucky to have her

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in