$461.12 for a new tranny bearing!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 4:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

$461.12 for a new tranny bearing!!

Well not quite but the Sears tech just left my 8 year old Kenmore that was starting to clunk and determined that a transmission bearing was going out. Can't replace it so they would have a NEW (oh sure) transmission installed for that price.

I don't think so . . and wait there's more! I have a $100 coupon for a new Kencrap washer with my charge receipt. btw, the service call (15 minutes) was only $139

No wonder Sears is closing stores.

Guess I'll be shopping for a new mid-priced washer. Don't need all the farkeled digital ones that play music, send an e-mail to your I-phone, etc when the load is done or other such nonsense.

Any recommendations? Consumers Reports like LG but they are on the high side.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Smile Re: $461.12 for a new tranny bearing!!

Whatever you get, if you get a HE washer, make sure you use HE soap. Regular soap will destroy bearings as well.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #3 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 4:24 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: $461.12 for a new tranny bearing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Whatever you get, if you get a HE washer, make sure you use HE soap. Regular soap will destroy bearings as well.
High Efficiency soap?
Come on. I went through a P & G soap plant and they had off label containers filling on the same line as Tide.

Brand loyalty, marketing hype & high profits don't change the viscosity of water.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
High Efficiency soap?
Come on. I went through a P & G soap plant and they had off label containers filling on the same line as Tide.

Brand loyalty, marketing hype & high profits don't change the viscosity of water.

Just changed out the bearing for the second time on our HE washer, which is 5 yrs old. According to the forums for the LG High Efficiency washer, the bearings are the weak link, kind of like the FD, and the bearings will fail prematurely due to not using the correct soap. Whatever the reason, LG washers will go through bearings pretty quick, you have to pull the entire thing apart to get to it, a real P.I..A. almost like changing out a clutch. Good luck on whatever you get. BUT YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #5 of 15 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 12:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

All front loaders have always been HE, just didn't call them that until it was voge.

Kinda like a fuel air mixture - use less water then use less soap. Guess they dilute the HE soap.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 15 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Here's the latest dope from Consumer Reports. I didn't see an LG listed in the top picks. I'm not sure I could justify double the cost for a top loader... but I guess it would be kind of fun to sit there and watch the clothes go around and around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top loaders.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	34050   Click image for larger version

Name:	front loaders.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	34051  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have had that Samsung washer and the matching dryer since September. Nice units but very large. Make sure they will fit into your laundry closet if you are considering one. I had to reset the bifold doors to make them work but they are very impressive and made a noticeable difference in my water bill.

post #8 of 15 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 6:20 pm

We have a 7 year old Maytag washer (top loader) and dryer. We use (yes i wash clothes) what ever cheapskate me can find for liquid detergent. I have even gone so far as pouring the cheap stuff into the empty Tide containers my wife buys on sale. Never had a problem with the washer. The dryer started squeeking. Took it apart ordered some teflon pads,a belt and a idler pulley. No squeek.

2013 K1600GT
1967 R50/2
1965 Honda Sport 50
1943 Harley WLC Civy
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Here's the latest dope from Consumer Reports. I didn't see an LG listed in the top picks. I'm not sure I could justify double the cost for a top loader... but I guess it would be kind of fun to sit there and watch the clothes go around and around.
I just knew, if I waited long enough, I'd find something I liked about you Ron. We have a front loader, with window, and my 2 year old grandson sits there watching, and calls it the "round and round".
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2012, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I just knew, if I waited long enough, I'd find something I liked about you Ron. We have a front loader, with window, and my 2 year old grandson sits there watching, and calls it the "round and round".
Well, heck yeah! I'm easily entertained.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Well not quite but the Sears tech just left my 8 year old Kenmore that was starting to clunk and determined that a transmission bearing was going out. Can't replace it so they would have a NEW (oh sure) transmission installed for that price.

I don't think so . . and wait there's more! I have a $100 coupon for a new Kencrap washer with my charge receipt. btw, the service call (15 minutes) was only $139

No wonder Sears is closing stores.

Guess I'll be shopping for a new mid-priced washer. Don't need all the farkeled digital ones that play music, send an e-mail to your I-phone, etc when the load is done or other such nonsense.

Any recommendations? Consumers Reports like LG but they are on the high side.
Is it a BMW part?

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #12 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
Is it a BMW part?
Probably closer to a Harley Davidson part, made in China.
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2012, 11:07 pm

Have had a Whirlpool pair, top load washer, for the last 2+ years. New home, new appliances. Not a lot of use, 2-3 loads a week. Mid level models, no problems so far & they seem to do a good job. Not a lot of fancy settings, & we don't have the need for them. My sister -in-law has a pair of LGs. It takes her longer to pick the settings for the wash cycle than it takes for the load to be washed. I decided not to stick around for the dryer setting party to unfold.
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2012, 11:21 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

After the over priced Maytag front loader took a dump, I asked the tech guy what he had at home and what was cheap to repair just in case.

He was using Whirlpool Duets. Front loader. Cheap to fix in case it craps out.
I now have the same units... Work very nicely.

AND YES USE H.E. SOAP... the reason is that it doesn't foam as mush as regular laundry soap.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #15 of 15 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 10:53 am

If someone gets an estimate for $462.12 to repair their 8-year-old K1200LT ... no problem. Gotta have your bike back on the road, right? But spend that kind of money on some meaningless machine that just washes clothes? I don't think so Mister!

This thread needs to be in the humor forum.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in