Allstate Insurance called me yesterday ... with a BIG surprise! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Dec 30th, 2011, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Allstate Insurance called me yesterday ... with a BIG surprise!

They called to let me know that me premiums for 2012 would be almost HALF of what they were in 2011, saving me almost $300. I ain't mad at nobody. I did tell the rep that I was about to go shopping for a cheaper rate though. Glad they called me first.

If you have Allstate, you might want to give them a call ASAP. You might be eligible for a new rate. Good luck.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 6:33 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Allstate Insurance called me yesterday ... with a BIG surprise!

That is good news Joe. We had Allstate about 6 years ago for everything, house, bike & cars. We got our renewal in the mail & it jumped almost double. When we called they they said the jump was because of our "Age". They said & I quote "You are due to have an accident at your age". We dropped them the same day.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 7:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

My State Farm seems to go up every year and we have NEVER had a claim! House, 3 vehicles, liability, etc... All with the same company. I check around occasionally and even with the others, it is more expensive.

There must be something going on in Florida that is not positive.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 8:00 am

We had a similar experience to Steve, had the boat insured with them as well. Dropped them pronto. I have Progressive on the bikes and am not displeased with them except I discovered the George Soros is one of the major interests in Progressive . Politically thinking, I may make a change.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 8:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
We had a similar experience to Steve, had the boat insured with them as well. Dropped them pronto. I have Progressive on the bikes and am not displeased with them except I discovered the George Soros is one of the major interests in Progressive . Politically thinking, I may make a change.
Where will you get your gas!

Unfortunately, it seems like we are forced to do business with people we don't like or who are our enemy/

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
That is good news Joe. We had Allstate about 6 years ago for everything, house, bike & cars. We got our renewal in the mail & it jumped almost double. When we called they they said the jump was because of our "Age". They said & I quote "You are due to have an accident at your age". We dropped them the same day.
Just the opposite here, with our credit rating, multi policy, make the one payment and with our current age we get a nice discount from Auto Owners Insurance.

Motorcycle is through GMAC but they no longer write motorcycle policys but we are grandfathered in.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #7 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 8:50 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
I discovered the George Soros is one of the major interests in Progressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Between 1979 and 2011, Soros gave away over $8 billion to human rights, public health, and education causes. He played a significant role in the peaceful transition from communism to capitalism in Hungary (1984–89), and provided Europe's largest-ever higher education endowment to Central European University in Budapest.
Yeah, how dare a businessman be so successful that he can afford to give away 8 billion dollars! Why do our children think they deserve basic human rights, decent health care, and a proper education? And then to support and encourage Capitalism so they can make their own futures! Now what would the world be like if there were many more out there just like him?

As for insurance, it's a business, just like any other. You want to pay as little as possible, they want to collect as much as they can, and pay out as little as they can. So folks always go for the absolute cheapest option, and then are surprised when they do make a claim and have problems. Sure, cost is important, when comparing equal policies and services. But that's just one of the things that needs to be considered here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
So folks always go for the absolute cheapest option, and then are surprised when they do make a claim and have problems.
One of my favorite "cheap insurance" mayhem commercials... I love 'em!

Blind Spot - Click Here

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 10:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

I went to Geico when I moved to Louisiana 5 years ago as they were 1/2 the price of Progressive which was the only other company insuring bikes right after Rita. Been very pleased with them and now that my wife has got tired of Allstate sticking it to her for her car and the House we have put everything with them. The one damage claim I had for the bike they were very quick on paying and didn't raise my rates afterwards.
post #10 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 11:34 am

+1 on Geico. Had State Farm for home, cars, bikes & business. Got a good rate for all. When I sold the business, rate went bye bye. Buddy recommended Geico. Their rates for vehicles was about half of everybody else. I have had one claim for a car accident, & wife the same. Minimal damage, less than a grand each. The claim was paid promptly, & no increase . Been with them for almost 4 years now.
post #11 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 1:09 pm

+1 on Geico!

Lowered my premium considerably after the 1st year and they were less expensivew then many to began with. Discount. for MSF

Customer service has been excellent!

Hard to argue with W. Buffett's record!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #12 of 33 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 9:04 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Who is W Buffett?

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #13 of 33 Old Jan 1st, 2012, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
Who is W Buffett?

I think he sings Margaritaville.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #14 of 33 Old Jan 1st, 2012, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I think he sings Margaritaville.
Nope he sings Billions-ville!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #15 of 33 Old Jan 1st, 2012, 11:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Do watch the small print with Geico. They tend to sneak in limiting clauses, like the one that says riding over 500 miles in a day invalidates their coverage. Now maybe some folks never do ride that far, but I'd hate to see what else they may find to weasel out of a valid claim.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 33 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:16 am

We used to have Allstate for two cars, a house and the bike. But after steady increases and no positive response from the agent, we went with Hartford (through AARP) for the house and cars and Progressive for the bike. I have not had a problem with claims to Progressive. and have not had any claims on the car or house.

My Allstate agent and office staff called us for two weeks after we dropped them. The same folks who had ignored us for months were suddenly more than willing to talk deals, but we were happy with what we went to.

I am glad they called you first. Refreshing change.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #17 of 33 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 9:32 am

Had Geico, they were 600+/yr on my GTL, switched to Dairyland, they were 425 for same coverage.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #18 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 9:07 am

It sounds so far like Dairyland might be the cheapest. Anybody else care to provide a similar story of savings? I think I'm currently with Dairyland- was planning to shop around for a better rate, but you guys might have saved me some legwork.

BTW, since politics and George Soros was mentioned, as well as Warren Buffet (though I've yet to make his connection here), My wife and I won't be doing business w/ AARP- not so much because they support liberal ideas, but mainly because they are big proponents of Obama's national health care plan. Go figure.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #19 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
It sounds so far like Dairyland might be the cheapest. Anybody else care to provide a similar story of savings? I think I'm currently with Dairyland- was planning to shop around for a better rate, but you guys might have saved me some legwork.

BTW, since politics and George Soros was mentioned, as well as Warren Buffet (though I've yet to make his connection here), My wife and I won't be doing business w/ AARP- not so much because they support liberal ideas, but mainly because they are big proponents of Obama's national health care plan. Go figure.
I had GEICO a number of years and always found them to be reasonable. Last year when I got the bill it was like $310.00 for the K1200LT (it really hadn't gone up that much). On the recommendation of a friend I checked Foremost and immediately got a quote of $97.00 for the exact same policy. I picked Foremost, opting to go for a lower deductible and raising some coverages and still came in under $120.00 for a 12 month policy.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #20 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Smile Re: Allstate Insurance called me yesterday ... with a BIG surprise!

USAA saved me $800 a year over the last gougers which I had been with for the last 15 years.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #21 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Do watch the small print with Geico. They tend to sneak in limiting clauses, like the one that says riding over 500 miles in a day invalidates their coverage. Now maybe some folks never do ride that far, but I'd hate to see what else they may find to weasel out of a valid claim.
also heard to look out for terms about group rides or recreation only so you can't take those little trips from plant a to site b and carry those little deliveries or secret papers from work.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #22 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
I had GEICO a number of years and always found them to be reasonable. Last year when I got the bill it was like $310.00 for the K1200LT (it really hadn't gone up that much). On the recommendation of a friend I checked Foremost and immediately got a quote of $97.00 for the exact same policy. I picked Foremost, opting to go for a lower deductible and raising some coverages and still came in under $120.00 for a 12 month policy.
That's a heck of a savings you found. I'll have to put Foremost as one of first to check with. Some others have mentioned competitive rates with them. Thanks for the tip.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #23 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Hey Joe, just got a letter from Allstate offer for 40% off plus another 10% for switching.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #24 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 6:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Steve, we got an EXTRA discount from our Auto Owners policy (both home and car), the discount stated "mature" driver ! .........................membership has its privileges!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #25 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 6:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Steve, we got an EXTRA discount from our Auto Owners policy (both home and car), the discount stated "mature" driver ! .........................membership has its privileges!
Brett,
I assume your agent has never met you... ?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #26 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Brett,
I assume your agent has never met you... ?
He probably hasn't, but EVERYONE knows Brett is REALLY OLD! Too old for an immature policy!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #27 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 5:55 pm

I went with Gieco about four years ago when I got my LT. It was $300 a year. My wife was going through bills and noticed the new bill from Gieco and it is now $136 a year. She called to confirm, and it is indeed $136 a year. I can live with that....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #28 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

This must vary by state. We have had Allstate for years. This year's policy went down a couple of bucks but nothing noteworthy. My wife called the agent to grind on him a bit and no love. Called Progressive and they were higher. We might have to give Gieco a try.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

Last edited by Jim; Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:37 pm.
post #29 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 6:27 pm

I had a bad experience with Gieco. My bike quit and while pushing it to the side of the road I dropped it and in the process injured my ankle which required a trip to the emergency room. At the emergency room they wanted to know if I had medical coverage with Gieco. I did not but they wanted confirmation from Gieco which I requested and got. No claim was ever filed with Gieco for any bike or medical coverage but the following year my premium with Geico went from $236 to $550. I called Geico and questioned the quote and was told that it was because of the accident. I dropped Geico and went with Foremost whose premium turned out to cost me less than Gieco's even before the incident.

Don
2009 R1200RT
post #30 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 6:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have had USAA for as long as I can remember. AWESOME service, easy claims, and when I switched it cut my auto coverage in half and homeowners by 40%, and that is with same limits and deductibles and better coverage (less exclusions and BS clauses). PLUS, I get a rebate/dividend EVERY YEAR.

They do not write coverage for motors, but are set up as an agent for Progressive. Very competitive coverage and their service has been nothing short of spectacular.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #31 of 33 Old Mar 26th, 2012, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
He probably hasn't, but EVERYONE knows Brett is REALLY OLD! Too old for an immature policy!

Actually he has; a bunch, as he is a friend of mine

He knows if his rates are too high I'll just wap him up-side the head with my cane!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #32 of 33 Old Mar 26th, 2012, 1:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Hey Brett, I was just noticing the map in your signature.

I knew you weren't a California fan, but to avoid it, and all the states that touch it, sure takes some dedication.

Guess we're gonna have to hold a CCR out this way just to drag you here.

And what's up with Wisconsin? You don't like cheese?

Maybe you can catch that one on the way to CCR Duluth.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #33 of 33 Old Mar 26th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Ken, I really would love to vistit Commyfornia as we have friends out there!

Yes, we will be picking up Wisconsin and Minnesota on the way to CCR (although it may be in a cage; arghhh!)

We hope to see you in Duluth.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in