FrankenDroid – Bringing a dead Droid X2 back to life - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 7:51 am Thread Starter
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

FrankenDroid – Bringing a dead Droid X2 back to life

FrankenDroid – Bringing a dead Droid X2 back to life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 8:14 pm

Re: FrankenDroid – Bringing a dead Droid X2 back to life

Good work Dave....

You realize there are only a handfull of us who understood that, Right ?

Not everyone here speaks Nerd..LOL !

I'm going to root my Xoom pretty soon...Just waiting on a good reason...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:22 pm

Owning a smart phone without rooting or jailbreaking it is ... well ... dumb.

I've soft-bricked my OG Droid and my Bionic Droid so many times, it's silly. But I learn something new every time.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition

post #4 of 30 Old Dec 24th, 2011, 10:59 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Owning a "smart" phone that you have to root or jailbreak just to clean all the malware and crapware off in a vain attempt to protect your "privacy" is just ... well ... idiotic.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 30 Old Dec 25th, 2011, 7:40 am

Since they're referring to the Droid operating system, are you telling me that the iPhone doesn't have the same/similar spyware? What makes you so sure? Not being a horse's fanny. I just want to know.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 30 Old Dec 25th, 2011, 10:51 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Without turning this into a religious discussion and also keeping things overly simplified, the basic difference is that Android is an "Open" platform with lots of different companies and individuals involved, while Apple controls the hardware, software, and apps on the iPhone.

So Apple designs the hardware and controls its production to their specs and they write the operating software to match that specific hardware. Apple also tends to hold back features until they feel that they are thoroughly tested and truly ready to be released to the public. So you know that what does get released generally will work without any problems. They also have ultimate control over what third-party apps are released through the iPhone App Store. That's not a perfect scenario as some "bad" apps can sneak through, and some "good" apps are excluded by Apple, but generally, anything you download to your iPhone has been thoroughly tested and vetted by Apple.

Android isn't so much a phone as a "platform". Google writes the main software, and anyone is free to manufacture a phone or tablet based on that software. So you get a wide variety of hardware running Android, and most of the hardware manufacturers also tweak the Android software to fit their own purposes. And then the phone carriers also add their own software and apps on top of that, mostly designed to keep you tied to their own network.

What folks are figuring out now is that even if Google releases a new version of Android, the phone manufacturers and carriers don't necessarily have to offer it on their phones. Since they've generally done a lot of software tweaking, it ends up being a significant amount of time and trouble to port the new software to "older" phones. We've seen cases where Android phones and tablets that were the killer hot sellers less than six months ago are simply unable to upgrade to the latest Android software, meaning that any new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes are simply unavailable. You want the new stuff? Then buy a new phone, even if your two-year contract isn't up yet . . .

This means that no two Android phones are alike, and also that they don't necessarily work the same between carriers, between models, and sometimes, between different apps on the same phone. That can be frustrating when all you want to do is go to the Home screen, and sometimes that's a swipe left, sometimes it's a swipe up, and sometimes it's a specific button located at the top (or maybe the bottom) of the screen that may be labeled Back or Home or something else entirely.

So you may find a killer Android feature or app, but that doesn't mean that it will be available on any other Android phone, or that it will work the way that you expect it to. Or that it will even be available in a future software update. So you get that killer 4.5" screen, but what you got when you bought is simply all you'll ever get, regardless of how technology marches on.

In contrast, Apple may only produce one 3.5" screen size, but basically all software upgrades are still available to every iPhone they've ever produced. Sure, there are sometimes hardware limitations (such as processor speed or limited memory), but generally, iPhones aren't abandoned or orphaned after a few months, or even a few years. Hell, I still have an iPhone 3G (2nd generation from ~2008) that still runs just fine, although I do see speed improvements in my iPhone 4, as well as much better screen sharpness and resolution.

And Apple is very specific about how the carriers interact with the iPhone. Basically, the carriers have to agree to take the iPhone as is, without adding any additional bloatware or crapware onto it. Or else they simply don't get the iPhone. You may call that limiting, but it means that consumers know they'll be getting the exact same well-tested iPhone regardless of who provides their voice minutes and data.

Speaking of spyware, a firm called Carrier IQ has recently been making news after their software was found to be embedded in almost all smartphones on the market today. At the least, this software tracks a phone's performance on the cellular network and sends that data back to the carrier so they can improve their network efficiency and reliability. But what some phone hackers have discovered is that the Carrier IQ software can have full access to everything you do on your phone. Contact lists, call logs, and even individual key presses, meaning that it can track your every email and text message.

Obviously, this caused quite a stir and has huge privacy implications. Once it started making the rounds among the tech savvy, and later into more mainstream media, the response from all involved was quite illuminating. Google said they didn't install this software as part of Android, but you might want to look at the phone manufacturers. The phone guys pointed their fingers at the carriers, and said they had no control over what the carriers installed. The carriers said it wasn't their fault, really, and you should talk to the manufacturers about what data was being collected and sent back. And Carrier IQ said they were only providing the services that the phone guys were asking for, while deftly avoiding the question of who was collecting the data, and exactly what data was being collected. Note that this software was embedded so deeply that it was not obvious to any phone user, it was just there and turned on as soon as the phone was activated, with no chance at all to opt-out or even see what data was being collected and sent back to who knows where.

Apple has also admitted to using the Carrier IQ software. But it is turned off by default, meaning a user has to specifically opt-in to use it. Their statement simply said that they had only used it to track network performance and monitor application crashes, that the data was collected anonymously, that they had already phased most of that out in the last software update (well before this story broke), and that the next major software update would have all traces of Carrier IQ removed from the iPhone. That response seems very telling to me, especially compared to the pointing-fingers-blame-game that the other phone guys are playing.

"Open" also means that anyone who wants to can write and deploy Android apps. That's very freeing since there's no "Nanny" or "Gatekeeper" involved to limit things. But since these apps aren't vetted then anyone can write anything they want, good or bad. There have been several documented cases of viruses and malware posing as free, useful Android apps, such as a Free Wallpaper apps that have access to your complete contacts list and phone logs, and that phone home to some server somewhere without the user's intervention or knowledge.

In contrast, Apple is very open about what data is collected and where it goes. You have to physically "opt-in" to such things, as they are turned off by default. The first time you set up your iPhone, iTunes asks for your permission to collect and analyze Diagnostic and Usage data, which is only sent to Apple and nowhere else (I generally leave this off). It is obvious right up front, and trivially easy to opt-out. Also, the iPhone can track its location, but again, Locations Services are turned off by default. And if you do decide to turn them on (I generally do), you have to give permission individually to each app that wants to use that location data. So if an app that finds free wireless hotspots near you wants to know you current location, that makes sense. But if a free puzzle game wants to know exactly where you are, there's no real reason they need that info so you can just say no when you first open the app and the app is then blocked out of collecting such information (if that app even makes it past the App Store approval process in the first place).

There are many more differences, of course. And there are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches. I find that the phones are taking the same path that personal computers did a few decades ago. Apple makes the hardware and software, so it has tight integration. Maybe it doesn't do every possible thing under the sun, but what it does do just plain works.

Whereas Google is writing the main operating software but doesn't produce any hardware (much like Microsoft). So you have dozens of hardware manufacturers all working to different specs and different priorities, meaning that the user experience differs dramatically between phones and carriers, since there is no truly "pure" Android phone out there. Sure, it's "Open", in both the good and the bad sense of the word.

I also find that the true Android Fanboys tend to be the ones who want to tear into the phone, root things, try custom software and apps, and generally, have the curiosity and the skill to dig deep and play around. That's cool, if that's what you want to do.

But most consumers just want to buy a product and have it work right out of the box. Generally, the iPhone does that consistently, whereas an Android phone can be quite hit or miss.

You can compare it to motorcycle riders. Sure, there are those of us that like to work on bikes, and some of the guys on this site have torn engines out, replaced clutches, rebuilt final drives, and gotten deep into the bowels of the bike. It's something we enjoy doing, and that we like to share with others. Other riders haven't gotten as deep, but have maybe wired in lights and GPS units, changed the oil, and done other simple maintenance tasks. That's cool, too, and there's lots of help and advice available to those who are curious and want to learn.

But the vast majority of riders simply want to get on the bike and ride, without worrying too much about what's going on under all the plastic. No problem then, enjoy the ride. But you'd be better served by finding a product that will work right out of the box, will work pretty much like every other motorcycle out there, and doesn't require a major rebuild just to get it up to speed and make it useful.

Sure, I'm biased here. I've been using Apple products for 20+ years now. But it's because I've done the research, dug into the technology and the software, played with all the different computers, tablets, and phones, and have chosen Apple products because generally speaking, it's a company that I can trust to provide products that just plain work as expected. And, quite simply, that's what I want in a phone or a computer, so it works very well for me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 30 Old Dec 25th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Thanks, Ken. Good read. Very informative. I'm still on the fence about getting a smart phone. I talked you a young lady at Verizon a couple weeks ago. She sold me on the iPhone 4S. Did I mention she was built like a brick $#!+house and very easy on the eyes? No? Well, she was! Whip me, beat me, make me write bad checks! I was ready to sign on the dotted line.

"Have you got them in stock?"

"No. No one keeps smartphones in stock. We have to order them."

I felt like one of those guys in the ED commercials before he found the help he needed! So, I haven't gone over the edge yet.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #8 of 30 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 12:53 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Like I said, I'm definitely biased here, but I've also done the research on what's available these days. And while some of the new Android phones have some interesting features, none of them are compelling enough to make me want to switch over into a whole new ecosystem. Then again, I'm still riding BMWs over all the other options out there . . .

The iPhone 4S is currently showing availability of 1-2 weeks when ordered through Apple's website. Most carrier stores get small shipments in several times a week, and most Apple retail stores get shipments in daily, although they usually sell out same day.

You can also pre-order the phone to pick up at an Apple retail store, and if they have a shipment coming in they'll hold one for you. We were in a local Apple store on Christmas Eve and they had a few phones on hand, although they were going fast.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 30 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:15 am

My Bionic "DOES".
Ken's iPhone "D'uhs".

Anyone who has to expend that many words ... err ... paragraphs explaining how good Apple is . . . . well, I don't think I need to type another word.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #10 of 30 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:36 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Morning, Joe. I was wondering when you were gonna wake up from your Holiday stupor and chime in here.

If you have something truly positive or enlightening to say on the subject, then by all means, let's hear it.

Otherwise, all you have is "Of course my phone is better than your phone, duh!"

That may work on the playground, but we're not in grade school anymore.

Lee asked a specific question, which I answered. I also gave more supporting information as to the differences between the various smartphones and their ecosystems, as I see them based on my time spent with various phones and a lot of research on the different hardware and software systems (Semiconductor Engineer here, remember? Yes, I've done my homework.)

That is how you support a position with facts and documentable examples.

Otherwise, all you have is "I'm right and you're wrong so there!" That's just 3rd-grade Fanboi logic, and is entirely dismissable.

Well OK, then as long as that makes you happy . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 30 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:43 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Really, Dave? I expect Joe to ignore the topic at hand and instead imply that there must be something wrong with me just because we happen to disagree on some subject or another. But you're usually better than that . . .

My "corporate controlled" iPhone does exactly what I want it to do, without hassles or crashes or other problems, and without data-logging my entire history without my permission, so what exactly is the problem here?

Like I said, I've done the research and found a product that works for me and fulfills my needs. And, according to years of phenomenal sales figures, works for a hell of a lot of other folks, too.

You'll note that I'm the same way about other products that I use and like, too. I can compare heated gear and show why I prefer Warm & Safe over Gerbings or other options. I can talk about LDComfort under liners, and give specific examples of how they work better than Under Armor or other brands I've used in the past. I can talk in some detail about what makes BMW motorcycles work well for me, and even what I don't like about them. Hell, I can even justify why I choose to live in SoCal over anywhere else in the world, because for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Now that doesn't mean that everyone has to come to the same conclusions. But in the end, I've made my decisions based on my own criteria, and I'm happy with those decisions. If you've done the same, then good for you.

I still say that if you want to root your phone and dig around in the nitty-gritty details, that's fine. But if you have to do that to any consumer electronics device just to get it to work properly, then they've already failed . . .

So, what exactly do you like about the Android ecosystem? How would you answer Lee's questions about smartphone security? Or how would you respond to my claims as clearly laid out above? Please be specific and cite examples. Otherwise, all you have is Android Fanboy rhetoric with no real substance.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 30 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 12:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

See now, was that so hard?

We've been friends long enough that I know that you've also done the research and made the best choice for you based on your skill and needs. All you had to do was say that up front.

And as I mentioned already, if you want to dig into the phone and rework everything to suit you, that's cool. But most folks just don't have the time, skill, or interest in doing so. For them, do you suggest they take Android as is with all the bloatware and crapware installed, or they maybe go with an ecosystem that arguably may be more limited but that they can trust to do what it says it will do without adding a lot of other potentially malicious stuff?

Anytime someone uses the "fanboy" moniker, it basically overshadows anything else they may have to say and simply invalidates their entire argument. That is, if they even bothered to present an actual argument in the first place.

Now let's see if Joe can come back with such honesty and clarity about his choices . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 30 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 4:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yes, I did use that term on purpose, to point out the irony and with a healthy dose of sarcasm involved. Good on you for catching it.

You see, when someone uses "Fanboy" to describe an iPhone user, then they lose credibility because they're simply trying to dismiss those people outright as "mindless Apple sheep" or some such other nonsense, without providing any real substance to support their point of view.

But when it's turned back around and pointed at an "obviously superior" Android user, then it becomes irony, and thus retains its validity. Especially when it's true.

(Now that ought to get a few folks riled up. )

I'm glad Sue is happy with her phone. In the end, that's all that really matters. But she's lucky in that she has you to make good choices from the dozens of possible Android phones out there, and to take care of the technical side of things. Most folks simply don't have the skill or interest to get into it that deep, so they are forced to rely on the carriers or phone manufacturers to give them good products at a decent price.

And simply put, I find that the carriers and phone manufacturers are not to be trusted, as they can and will pull all kinds of crap that they feel is in their best interests, regardless of or even in spite of its effect on the customer. Every phone carrier I've had has added junk charges onto the bill that I had to call and fight to get removed. T-Mobile did it, but Verizon was the worst for me, and even AT&T tries to sneak something in on occasion. And I've also had some truly crappy phones in the past that were a huge hassle to get traded in for something that actually works.

I still have to deal with the carriers for a cell phone plan, but at least the iPhones I've had have worked as advertised, and any minor problems have been quickly sorted out either by some simple online research, or by taking the iPhone to an Apple Genius Bar and getting it sorted to my satisfaction. My wife, who is reasonably tech savvy but no programmer or engineer, has also had good luck with those methods.

And I must say that the Genius Bar in Reno even replaced my iPhone 4 that was damaged in my IBR accident without hassle and without any charges. They didn't have to do that, as the damage was clearly my responsibility, but they did it (without my asking for it) to keep a loyal customer happy. And it worked.

In general, I find that Apple wants to provide a good, solid product that is easy to use and makes folks happy with their purchase, because that's how they retain customers over the long run and throughout their various product lines. And yes, that tends to lock you in to their ecosystem, but if you can get everything you need there and, more importantly, can trust it, then there doesn't really seem to be a problem.

In contrast, what I see from following tech blogs and talking with friends who have Android phones is that once they have your money up front and have you locked into a contract, they don't really care about you anymore. Sure, you can root your phone and play with apps and sounds, but it's hit-or-miss if they'll even bother to port the latest Android OS onto those old, obsolete phones (as if 6 months somehow makes a phone obsolete). In one case at least, the carrier/manufacturer said outright that their recently-released phone won't be getting an Ice Cream Sandwich (really, who comes up with these names?) update because it would conflict with all their pre-loaded "value added" crapware. No, thanks.

So if you're happy with whatever phone works for you, and I'm happy with mine, then we're all good. For the record, I was able to change my background screen, import custom sounds and ringtones, and download a ton of free apps and a couple of paid apps that do everything I need to do, all without rooting or jail breaking my iPhone. The only real "bloatware" on my iPhone that I never use and can't delete is their Stocks app. But it just sits there doing nothing and using no system resources so I pretty much just ignore it. And overall security really just isn't a problem, based on all the reasons that I've outlined above.

But remember, this conversation started because someone asked about the differences between iOS and Android, specifically in response to malware and crapware. (We're not even going in to Blackberry, Symbian, or WebOS, as those are basically dead technologies, and WindowsMobilePhoneOS.7-or-8-or-whatever-they're-calling-it-this-week is too new and too small of a player to worry about just yet.) And I think that there's been some very good information passed back and forth, so that folks can make up their own minds based on their comfort level and what's most important to them.

Besides, didn't this thread start with your own blog post about how running an Android update with a low battery bricked your phone and caused you endless hassles in trying to get it working again? (For the record, iOS will tell you right up front to plug your iPhone in if your battery is low before the update begins. It even gives a cute little graphic showing you how the dock cable plugs in.) And didn't that same blog post mention that you only got this phone because your last Android phone died and the replacement was also dead, again causing you endless hassle and trouble just to get a decent working phone again?

I commend you for your tech savvy and your determination, and your willingness to share those experiences in order to help and educate others, but again, I postulate that most folks simply want a phone that works as expected, without having to become an expert in on-the-spot mobile phone OS rebuilds.

Hell, if your cars or bikes needed that much service and determination just to keep running as advertised, then we'd all be out looking for something else to replace them with. Then again, most of us here are still riding Beemers . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #14 of 30 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 7:02 pm

It's as simple as this. For the past two years +, I've owned the original DROID, and now the Droid BIONIC. During that time, I also was given an Apple iPhone 3Gs for a work phone. That gave me 5 months of experience having both phones simultaneously to use and compare. (How long have you compared both Ken?) I can see where a simpleton would actually like an iPhone. It does what it does. No more, no less. As for my Droids, they work the way *I* want them to.

And let's not think for a second that someone that buys an Android device HAS to root their phone. They rock right outta the box. While my Bionic IS rooted, it's running fairly stock. I just happen to like (LOVE!) some apps that only rooted phones can run. (Mostly for system and app backups.)

In a forum where farkling your bike ... in other words, "customizing" your bike to fit the wants/needs of the owner, I would think those same people would want a platform more suited for customizations. Just seems to me that BMW guys (and even ex-BMW guys ) would like an Android device.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #15 of 30 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 9:58 pm

What weight oil are you guys using in those smarphones?

Leave it to me to turn this into an oil thread!

Whew! I knew we were passionate about our rides, but not so much about our phones. I have a Motorola E815 that is the best ever, all the way back to the StarTac! Like my LT, I haven't found anything I like better to replace it with. If I were to replace it with a smartphone, I'm thinking I'd go with the iPhone. Screen resolution was cleaner. I want the thing to just work and don't know anyone close by to root, peak, and tweak the Android platform. Given the cost of these devices, I'm not sure I'd want somebody I didn't know in there moving stuff around. Mine would come out looking like I dropped it in a blender!

My wife has an iPod Touch. I have no idea how long she's had it. I think it's the first generation. My son is 10 and between the two of them, they haven't been able to destroy it. It looks like it's been through the wringer. And it has.

Lee
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #16 of 30 Old Jan 1st, 2012, 12:01 pm

Sorry Couldn't resist.

Iphone4s compare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwAx4...eature=related

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #17 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 9:03 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Apple’s iPhone is a better investment than any other smartphone because it has a higher resale value than an Android device, and it’s also less expensive to own.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 9:16 pm

"At Priceonomics, we firmly believe that resale value is the best objective indicator of product quality."

BMWs must be shit then.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #19 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 9:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

That's nothing but hyped-up B.S., Dave. You're smart enough to know that.

Foxconn manufactures products for many global companies, including:

Acer, Amazon, Apple, ASRock, Asus, Barnes & Noble, Cisco, Dell, EVGA, Gateway, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, IBM, Lenovo, Microsoft, MSI, Motorola, Netgear, Nintendo, Nokia, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba, Vizio.

So if you're gonna forgo an iPhone for that, then you gotta also forgo the Kindle, PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360, and a whole host of other devices.

As for the labor conditions, Apple is the one out of all those companies that does regular audits of their contracted manufacturers, and makes honest strides towards improvement. You don't hear about HP, Dell, or Samsung doing that.

And if you look at suicide rates for the entire population, you'll find that they're actually lower for Foxconn employees than they are for the general Chinese population. Even so, Apple has worked with Foxconn to reduce those rates and improve worker conditions and satisfaction.

Sure, nothing's perfect and sure, Chinese manufacturing is booming precisely because of relatively cheap labor rates and a huge surplus of workers. But that goes for many different industries and many different companies are taking advantage of this to provide lower priced products and/or higher margins.

That's just business, but at least be fair about it towards all companies engaging in such practices.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #20 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 3:39 am

The WINDOWS PHONE 7.5 is drawing rave reviews in it's first year of existence. This is not the old Windows Mobile which, admittedly had issues.
WP7 is simpler to use. Add your username and passwords to your twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook accounts. Open a Windows Live account if you don't already have one, and the phone will do the rest.
The app market is the fastest growing of all the OS's.....iOS, Android, BlackBerry (rim).
No crapware, locking up/freezing, forced reboots, etc.
The OS is written with simpler code, thus performs faster with less processor.

When Windows 8 rolls out Q3 this year, all Windows Phones will get the Windows 8 update. This will allow your phone, desktop, laptop and Xbox to all be synced into one cental hub. You will even be able to use voice commands to control your tv/cable, etc. Some "Star Trek-like" technology will be a reality.
Windows 8 will allow dual core processor phones, as well.

Check out benthepcguy (Ben the PC guy) or smokedbywindowsphone (smoked by windows phone) on YouTube.
At the Consumer Electronics Show 2012, Ben put a single core processor Windows Phone against anyone willing to take the challenge. 34 challenges, 30 wins, 3 losses, and 1 tie.
Here is an excerpt from WPMetro:

Continuing to build on its sucess at CES, Ben Rudolph and his team have taken their “Smoked by Windows Phone” show on the road and are currently in California challenging other smartphone platform users to see whose phone is faster. As always, winners will receive $100 and losers must admit on camera that they’ve been “Smoked by Windows Phone.”

You can follow along with Rudolph and his Windows Phone crusades on Twitter by following @BenthePCGuy or check in at the official Windows Phone blog where he is constantly updating his great success.

So far, Windows Phone has posted a 37-0 record against some of the top-end smartphones out there: iPhone 3G, 4, 4s, DROID Charge, Samsung
Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S and S II, HTC EVO 4G and EVO 3D, LG Thrill, Samsung Fascinate, HTC MyTouch 4G, LG Optimus V, HTC Sensation and Motorola Atrix

A new player is in town.....
WINDOWS PHONE 7.5 (MANGO)

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #21 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 10:51 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Sounds like Micro$oft may have a decent phone competitor available . . . and it's only 5 years too late.

I hear you can even run your Windows Desktop on your phone, complete with Start Bar, File Explorer, Internet Explorer, and all the other Windows features you've come to know and despise.

How soon until the viruses start popping up?

When they start selling 37 million phones per quarter, then we can talk more.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #22 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Sounds like Micro$oft may have a decent phone competitor available . . . and it's only 5 years too late.

I hear you can even run your Windows Desktop on your phone, complete with Start Bar, File Explorer, Internet Explorer, and all the other Windows features you've come to know and despise.

How soon until the viruses start popping up?

When they start selling 37 million phones per quarter, then we can talk more.

Yes. The Windows Phone OS is entering the smartphone ring a little late. But the OS is a solid contender. In it's short existence, the OS has already taken over Blackberry/RIM as the #3 smartphone OS in sales. It is still far behind Apple and Google/Android however. The top selling Windows Phone on Amazon.com sits in the #27 spot. However, in customer satisfaction on Amazon.com, 6 of the top 10 phones are Windows Phones.

With MS Office on the phone, you can compose Word and Excel documents and import PowerPoint documents, too. 25gb of free SkyDrive storage is nice, as well. A couple of big players coming are the

HTC TITAN 2. 4g LTE, 4.7" SuperLCD screen, an industry-first 16mp camera and a 1.5 GHz processor.
Also the
Nokia Lumia 900. 4g LTE, 4.3 SuperAMOLED screen, 12mp camera and a 1.4 GHz processor.
Microsoft has minimum requirements for specs on all phones. So, even a low end Windows Phone performs well.

I have enjoyed my Windows Phone and just wanted to share some info. Hey, i still like to sport my iPod from time to time. And always will.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #23 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 3:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've been reading about the Windows Phone progress. Some of it sounds pretty good, some of it sounds like vaporware. Maybe Micro$oft can pull this one off, maybe not. But it seems like they're at least heading down the right path so far.

We'll just have to wait and see how well they actually pull it off . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #24 of 30 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 8:16 am

Apple vs Android it IS a war.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...AV02142012STR5

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #25 of 30 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 10:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I've spent quite a lot of time in South Korean fabs, working closely with the locals on some semiconductor systems that we had installed there. So I know how those guys think and work.

Basically, they don't really have any real concept of intellectual property or copyright at all. They will blindly copy anything, and I do mean anything, churn out hundreds or thousands of cheap knock-offs, and sell them for whatever they can get. To them, it's just normal business on any level, so to see it institutionalized in a company as big as Samsung is not at all surprising to me.

Apple will look at an industry very closely, figure out the current state of things, what works and what doesn't, then fix what doesn't work. They will innovate and iterate a hundred times, creating countless prototypes that never see the light of day, until they figure out exactly which set of features and design works best. Then they will hold a huge press release, and sell millions of that product.

The rest of the industry, taken completely by surprise, will curse, then turn and follow Apple's lead hoping for a few small scraps of whatever's left over.

And companies like Samsung, who have no compunction against blatant copying of every minute detail, will churn out millions of cheap knockoffs and call it "innovation".

Besides all that, the entire Patent, Standards, and FRAND system is completely broken.

So no, none of this surprises me at all. And, as usual, the consumer loses because of the massive company resources being diverted to trials and countersuits, and the lawyers are the only ones who win anything at all.

It's messed up, really.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #26 of 30 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 12:41 pm
Cat Herder

And there goes another perfectly fine thread and starts to turn religious. This time its the religion almighty god Android vs also almighty god Apple.

Sorry but this whole discussion has as much merit as Jachwe(sp?) vs Allah vs God vs Buddah vs Confucius discussion.

Having had a rooted Android phones and now a rooted/jailbroken iPhone(4s) I can tell you that:

BOTH run UNIX "under the hood"
BOTH can do similar things once Apples walled garden has been broken
BOTH need to be jailbroken/rooted to be used to their fullest
BOTH use electricity to run
BOTH have a battery
BOTH can make a phone call (at least most of the time)
BOTH have bugs/problems

The only real difference *I* can see is that Apple's software is *usually* a little bit better tested when it is being distributed to the unwashed masses and if you want any kind of accessory good luck with your Android phone. Even finding a case could prove to be a time consuming task. With an iPhone OTOH each and every imaginable accessory is readily available. That last statement did it for me when I changed phones the last time.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #27 of 30 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 1:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Good points, Andy.

What I see is that generally speaking, the Apple stuff is a bit more polished and refined and does what it says right out of the box, so there really isn't a need for the average user to root the phone. My 78-year-old mother-in-law can use the apps just as easily as my friend's 3-year-old. And as you mentioned the Apple ecosystem is also more advanced, in terms of software, apps, hardware, and accessories, and Apple rolls out regular OS updates free of charge to all iPhone models.

Whereas Android has dozens of different models with some compelling features (larger screens, LTE, some with keyboards), but the software is limited in that you have to wait for an official Google Android OS update, then you have to wait another 3-6 months for the phone manufacturer to port the code to their specific handset. If they do it at all, that is, and don't just leave a 6-month-old phone stranded on whatever version it happened to ship with.

For the tech geeks that like to tear into their toys, Android offers some advantages. But for most "normal" consumers, the iPhone just plain works.

And that's pretty much the only two real options out there now. Blackberry is in its death-throes, Palm is non-existent, and we're still waiting to see exactly what Windows can come up with in the next year or two.

Ah well, my iPhone does everything I need it to, and if your choice does too, then that's all that really matters.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #28 of 30 Old Feb 14th, 2012, 4:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
BOTH run UNIX "under the hood"
Andy you better be carefull the the Un*x gods will smite you for making such a definitive statement I belive the accepted statement would be "Unix like"

-Preston
‘02 K1200 LTC | ’94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #29 of 30 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 8:21 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by palarimer
Andy you better be carefull the the Un*x gods will smite you for making such a definitive statement I belive the accepted statement would be "Unix like"
Yeah, I know technically speaking Android phones run a Linux derivative and iPhones run a derivative of MACH/BSD. My apologies for being overly simplyfying.

Nonetheless if you type 'ls -l' you know what you're gonna get. And on a lower level one also know what would happen in a series of calls like fork(); exec(); ...

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #30 of 30 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:31 pm

But the problem is - "Androids do not have,'fun'." as said by Data / Brent Spiner, Star Trek: Insurrection, c. 1998

And I believe him.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

Last edited by WildBil; Feb 16th, 2012 at 10:32 pm. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in