A true story - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

A true story

This is a tuffy – My wife & I have been foster parents for many years – we have shared our home with 36 foster kids and have adopted 4 children out of the system.

Last night we got a call from CPS to see if we could help with a 16-year-old girl.

I normally don’t share these stories but we never had one like this before.

The young lady & her dad have been homeless since last June. Living in the river bottoms. The dad took amber to school & signed her up for home school. Amber has her schoolwork completed thru February!

Now with winter setting in & the cold weather (cold for our area) & living in a tent without electricity it has just over whelmed Amber’s father. He sent her to the store. When she got back to their shelter her dad wasn’t there but he had lift her a note.

He told her he loved her but he just couldn’t deal with life anymore & told her he was going to commit suicide. He told her to take the note to a police officer & that they would see that she was taken care of.

The police haven’t been able to locate her dad, we can only hope they can find him alive & get him the help he needs.

Amber is a very polite young lady. She wants to be a social worker when she grows up.

Most foster kids are in the system because their parents have turned to drugs but in this case it not drugs. Lots of folks out there loosing their homes or not able to pay the rent.

Damn we need to take this country back!

Tom Hudson
Foster Parent

My Web site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 8:49 pm

Garage
Re: A true story

I hear you loud and clear. In the past 18 months I've noticed a sharp increase in the number of homeless children in the public school system. What is really sad is that some of them have a parent, or parents that work full time. In many cases job losses , not drug or relationship issues, caused the shift from working class to homeless class.
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 12:09 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Unhappy Re: A true story

A very good friend of mine is a local news anchor here in town. He has been working on stories about homeless and hungry kids. The statistic are incredible. About a 1/3 of all school kids have no food to eat over the weekend when they are not in school.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 6:11 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I just want to thank you for Caring for so many "Unwanted" Children. This next child of yours can only gain from your love & caring nature. Years ago My wife & I chose not to have kids but have helped raise many of our neighbor hood kids. Five of them that use to live next door for about 10 years still call us their grand parents to this day. Again thank you for making a difference in this girls life & so many before her.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 6:58 am

God bless you Tom and your wife for the much needed and caring work you are doing.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 9:36 am

Thank you for your good work. We need more like you and unfortunately most of us (including me) are too self absorbed.

When I was a young kid, it was an almost nightly occurrence for one or more hobos to appear at our door around dinner time. My Mother always fixed them a plate and allowed them to sit at the picnic table on the porch. One day she figured out that they targeted our house because of a chalk mark on the curb in front that was apparently a universal hobo signal indicating a soft touch. The next day, she scrubbed off the mark. Later in the week, I observed my Father replacing the chalk mark. I'm sure my Mother figured that out but she never let on and kept on serving.

In today's PC environment we would not dare refer to them as hobos, but, we also would not feed them at our tables. My how far we have come!

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in