NTSB recommends ban on driver cell phone use - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

NTSB recommends ban on driver cell phone use

HELL YEAH!

NTSB recommends ban on driver cell phone use - Netscape News

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Re: NTSB recommends ban on driver cell phone use

First I agree with the notion completely for texting and, in a more limited sense, talking.

In my humble opinion, this is an unenforceable recommendation. What needs to happen is pressure must be placed on carriers to prevent messaging in moving vehicles, unless there is a specific override for passengers.

This topic is near and dear to me; and the reason for my recent work - safety in vehicles. I believe a matured voice-activated call ("call home" or "call 6035551212") and/or handlebar controls for "off-hook" is safe. Text is never safe in a moving vehicle.

This clash is inevitable. Technology is good when applied appropriately. It just takes a while to define what appropriate is.

For my part I do not text on the road, period. I will take calls because the button is at my fingertip. I will place a call if I can do it via voice (my helmet is integral to the system).

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

P: (603) 283-7624
post #3 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I agree with the ban. There is no difference between hands free and a regular cell phone for mental distraction.

When you are the driver and you use a cell phone, hands free or not or text from a moving vehicle it is the same thing as being legally intoxicated.

Think about the times you have been on a cell phone and can not remember things that you have passed! I know it has happened to me and I was in the industry for most of my business career.

You can try to focus and really pay attention, but over time and in most situations, when you are on the phone, a different part of the brain is engaged and it is not the same thing as listening to the radio or talking on a two-way radio. A full duplex audio devise takes more concentration.

One of the most dangerous places to be, in a moving vehicle is beside or near a law enforcement officer in their vehicle. They are distracted, but at least they have trained for it. Most citizens have not and it is becoming a leading cause of accidents.

It is so easy to tell if the person ahead of you is on a cell phone. They drive a little slower, they weave a little, they go a little faster, they don't see you... Well, that is you too when you are on your cell phone.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Dec 13th, 2011 at 6:50 pm.

post #4 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 4:43 pm

It's already illegal in the U.K. to use a mobile 'phone whilst driving (the actual ban is on 'holding' such a device) - needless to say, it doesn't stop everyone............

Cheers, StClair

1977 Honda CB400F Super Sport
2007 G650 Xcountry
2008 K1200LT SE
1990 Kawasaki GTR 1000 (Concours) + Hedingham XL
1952 Francis Barnett Falcon 58
post #5 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver

It is so easy to tell if the person ahead of you is on a cell phone. They drive a little slower, they weave a little, they go a little faster, they don't see you... Well, that is you too when you are on your cell phone.
Here's where I am when talking on a cell phone and driving: It's almost like I have amnesia.

I quit doing it about a year ago, that's what voice mail is for. Parked and off the road - WAY off the road - is the ONLY safe place to talk on the phone when in a vehicle.

One hard and fast rule in aviation when taking off and landing is minimize all talk - for obvious reasons.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 8:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It's about darn time. Unenforceable? Probably, but at least LEOs can write a bunch of tickets, maybe making a dent in the problem, and possibly saving some lives.

But if we're going to get serious about distracted driving, what about: eating, shaving, applying makeup, reaching into the back seat to smack the kids, getting stuff out of the glove box, futzing with the radio, reloading, reading books (BOOKS!!), and a dozen other things? They all have the same results.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 22 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Wife and I were just talking about this. Last night we were driving home in my p/u, on a 2 lane unlit road. About 20' from hitting a kid walking on the street, back to me, in dark clothing, I swerved around him. Wife never even saw him. My comment to her was that had I been texting, dialing etc, he'd be dead.
post #8 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 7:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

To me, there is no safe way to use a cell phone while you are the operator of a movong vehical.

"Driver sent or got 11 texts in 11 min before crash

WASHINGTON (AP) — A 19-year-old pickup truck driver involved in a deadly highway pileup in Missouri last year sent or received 11 texts in the 11 minutes immediately before the accident, federal investigators said Tuesday.

The driver sent six texts and received five texts, with the last text just before his pickup traveling at 55 mph crashed into the back of a tractor truck, beginning a chain collision. The pickup was rear-ended by a school bus, which in turn was rammed by a second school bus.

The pickup driver and a 15-year-old student on one of the school buses were killed. Thirty-eight other people were injured in the Aug. 5, 2010, accident near Gray Summit, Mo."

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 7:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
It's about darn time. Unenforceable? Probably, but at least LEOs can write a bunch of tickets, maybe making a dent in the problem, and possibly saving some lives.

But if we're going to get serious about distracted driving, what about: eating, shaving, applying makeup, reaching into the back seat to smack the kids, getting stuff out of the glove box, futzing with the radio, reloading, reading books (BOOKS!!), and a dozen other things? They all have the same results.
I politely disagree. A cell phone is different. As much as I wish the activities that you mentioned would stop, the use of a full duplex devise in a moving vehicle is different and causes a measurable distraction. It is using a different part of the brain. All distractions are bad and too many times it is easy to be driving a car and multi-tasking. That's why it occurs.

The use of drugs (and alcohol) while driving is another serious problem, but I digress...some day we will get serious. Lots of needless deaths, injuries and property damage.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I politely disagree. A cell phone is different. As much as I wish the activities that you mentioned would stop, the use of a full duplex devise in a moving vehicle is different and causes a measurable distraction. It is using a different part of the brain. All distractions are bad and too many times it is easy to be driving a car and multi-tasking. That's why it occurs.

The use of drugs (and alcohol) while driving is another serious problem, but I digress...some day we will get serious. Lots of needless deaths, injuries and property damage.
I've got a simplex wired brain... and the last time I checked everyone else out there does too.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Dec 14th, 2011 at 8:46 am.
post #11 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:

I've often wanted to reach over into the car next to me and smack the little linoleum lizards upside their noggins.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 9:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I've got a simplex wired brain... and the last time I checked everyone else out there does too.
Speak for yourself, my friend.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Speak for yourself, my friend.
Ouch!

Are you all healed up? Those stupid furry quadrapeds...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 10:27 am

What text message or phone call is so important it can't wait until the vehicle is off the road, parked, engine turned off? Unless it is telling the driver their underwear is on fire, it can wait.I've seen drivers on the freeway at 70 mph reading a Kindle, book or even having a newspaper spread across the steering wheel. Also have seen too many folks using a laptop, or watching a movie on a DVD player mounted on the dash. I agree with fplmt about some pedestrians. I work some nights, & head home just before midnight. I've seen "yoots " in towns here out skateboarding across the highway, all in black, or just walking down the middle of the street, or on a diagonal crossing the street with their hoods up, earbuds in the lock position, head down, & brain in another area code. Talk about swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.
post #15 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 10:29 am

I'm glad the day will be coming very soon that cars will drive themselves...

Of course not in my lifetime, But perhaps my grandkids...

Then we can blame Google for all the wrecks...

As for driving while talking on the phone.. It's pretty damn dangerous...I've gotten to where I just about won't do it... I don't text anyway so that's a non issue for me....

I tend to want to agree to the sentiment... I just wish it wasn't another thing our corrupt governments will be making a profit off of...

Should be simple enough.. When the cell phone is moving, It goes dead....

Then we'll have wrecks a plenty from all the folks stopping on the side of the road to talk getting hit by all the drunks target fixating...

In the end, it's just another one of those legislations designed to get money for things people should be smart enough not to do....

I guess I'm getting old.. I'm starting to compile a list of the reliefs that death will bring...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #16 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Nice idea but the government ALWAYS goes too far. I see nothing wrong with talking on a speaker phone. We lived through the CB revolution didn't we? Texting is bad you have to take your eyes off the road. Plotting route on the GPS same thing... look down push button lookup look down push again look up. Talking on a speaker phone, or via in cab microphone and listening on the radio speaker, is just like talking to your passenger. What we gonna gag people next? No more intercom to the wife on the back of the bike either folks. Wait and see.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #17 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

All good points.

I'm thinking of a coworker who just this week was telling us that she routinely reads books while she is driving on the interstate. In a minivan, with her husband and children on board. Mr. Clueless does the same thing when it's his turn to drive. This means, of course, that we have three children growing up who believe "it's perfectly safe" to do that, 'cause that's what Mom and Dad do.

I'm sure I said something I shouldn't have at the time. It was nearly an out-of-body experience to hear her say it so calmly... Essentially, she is telling us that her reading/driving time is more precious than the lives of those in her car and anyone else unlucky enough to be nearby when she drives off the road. "But that's what rumble strips are for", was her answer when I said that.

And yes, she is a blond.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #18 of 22 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 8:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Are you all healed up? Those stupid furry quadrapeds...
Mostly back to normal. Well, at least as normal as you can be out here in sunny SoCal.

My latest update is here, but I'm finally to the point where I feel like I have proper control and finesse when riding, so that feels good. I'm even enjoying the LT again. As big and heavy as it is, it's still a fine motorcycle and a lot of fun to ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 22 Old Dec 15th, 2011, 7:04 am

Quote:

We just need one law and enforce it. DWD. Driving While Distracted. Like DUI.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #20 of 22 Old Dec 15th, 2011, 7:56 am

The Alberta version of a distracted driver law may come long after provinces like Ontario, but it's probably the toughest in Canada and perhaps North America.
The law, Bill 16, comes into effect tomorrow (Sept. 1) [BThe Alberta version of a distracted driver law may come long after provinces like Ontario, but it's probably the toughest in Canada and perhaps North America.
The law, Bill 16, comes into effect tomorrow (Sept. 1) and sets out a $172 fine for texting or talking on a mobile device while driving to programming GPS devices or watching DVDs - all the usual suspects.
It sounds reasonable at the outset and the government defends it. After all, there' s no demerit points unlike Saskatchewan where a conviction will cost you four.
"I am confident this new law, which is practical and enforceable, will help to keep Albertans safer," said Minister of Transportation Luke Ouellette in a CBC article.
But Bill 16 seems to be the most comprehensive law in North America.
The law also bans eating, teeth brushing, shaving, hair combing, writing, sketching or applying makeup - all activities one would consider a distraction. But reading email in parking lots or calling home while parked in a drive-through would still constitute distracted driving in Alberta, and would even apply to bike couriers.
National Post blogger Jesse Kline doesn't agree with Alberta's late ride to the distracted driver saloon, arguing science deflates the theory bans on cellphone use decrease crashes.
"It doesn't matter that the law won't actually make the roads safer. Governments don't need a problem to exist, in order to try and fix it."
Kline's point is simple. Between 2005 and 2009, cellphones in Alberta homes increased by 31 per cent, following a 170 per cent increase between 1997 and 2005, based on Statistics Canada data.
But between 2005 and 2009, the number of casualties caused by traffic collisions decreased by 22 per cent, meaning there's no connection between cellphone use and crashes.
He also notes a 2010 study in the U.S. found no decrease in insurance claims following implementation of distracted driving laws in states like California and New York.
Opponents also argue cellphone bans are hard to enforce because it's difficult for police to determine what was actually going on in a moving vehicle.
Kline suggests, "In Alberta, such questions may be a moot point, because the law is broad enough to encompass all forms of distracted driving, even when someone is not technically driving."
Even well-known Calgary Herald columnist Robert Remington weighed into the debate with a little sarcasm in his blog by posting a variety of videos of things Alberta drivers won't be able to do behind the wheel after Thursday.
Remington aptly notes in his selection playing the ukulele, guitar, or the saxophone will likely net you a charge under the new law and higher insurance premiums. - all the usual suspects.
It sounds reasonable at the outset and the government defends it. After all, there' s no demerit points unlike Saskatchewan where a conviction will cost you four.
"I am confident this new law, which is practical and enforceable, will help to keep Albertans safer," said Minister of Transportation Luke Ouellette in a CBC article.
But Bill 16 seems to be the most comprehensive law in North America.
The law also bans eating, teeth brushing, shaving, hair combing, writing, sketching or applying makeup - all activities one would consider a distraction. But reading email in parking lots or calling home while parked in a drive-through would still constitute distracted driving in Alberta, and would even apply to bike couriers.
National Post blogger Jesse Kline doesn't agree with Alberta's late ride to the distracted driver saloon, arguing science deflates the theory bans on cellphone use decrease crashes.
"It doesn't matter that the law won't actually make the roads safer. Governments don't need a problem to exist, in order to try and fix it."
Kline's point is simple. Between 2005 and 2009, cellphones in Alberta homes increased by 31 per cent, following a 170 per cent increase between 1997 and 2005, based on Statistics Canada data.
But between 2005 and 2009, the number of casualties caused by traffic collisions decreased by 22 per cent, meaning there's no connection between cellphone use and crashes.
He also notes a 2010 study in the U.S. found no decrease in insurance claims following implementation of distracted driving laws in states like California and New York.
Opponents also argue cellphone bans are hard to enforce because it's difficult for police to determine what was actually going on in a moving vehicle.
Kline suggests, "In Alberta, such questions may be a moot point, because the law is broad enough to encompass all forms of distracted driving, even when someone is not technically driving."
Even well-known Calgary Herald columnist Robert Remington weighed into the debate with a little sarcasm in his blog by posting a variety of videos of things Alberta drivers won't be able to do behind the wheel after Thursday.
Remington aptly notes in his selection playing the ukulele, guitar, or the saxophone will likely net you a charge under the new law and higher insurance premiums.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #21 of 22 Old Dec 15th, 2011, 9:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

I fully support this initiative. Gives me a good reason to turn the damn cell phone OFF when I'm driving (not that I need a good reason, but it answers the question "I tried to call you but just got your voice mail"...).

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #22 of 22 Old Dec 15th, 2011, 9:54 am

Now let’s see; some poor kid with the typical sense of a kid was texting and driving killed himself and others. This incident is terrible and I am very sorry this happened and agree with the existing laws on texting and driving. I also am willing to concede using a hand held cell phone could be an issue, but now I’m supposed to not use a hands free system? A typical nanny state response, try to legislate away and for the stupidest citizen.

How about someone else in the car talking to you, eating, listening to NPR on the radio?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in