Be glad you're not in Italy - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2011, 6:29 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,280
Exclamation Be glad you're not in Italy

This was stolen from a newsletter I get:

By Brandon Rowe

"If you've been following the news recently, you'll be familiar with Italy's struggles to avoid becoming the next Greek tragedy.

To accomplish this difficult task, new Prime Minister and technocrat "Super" Mario Monti is attempting to introduce an aggressive austerity budget. While yet to be passed by legislators, this decree has already been signed by the Italian head of state. Desperate times, desperate measures, eh?

Some of the "highlights" of the proposed program:

  • Higher Value Added Tax (VAT): From 21% to 23% starting next fall.

  • Lower threshold for cash transactions: To supposedly help avoid tax evasion, there was a previous limit of € 2,500 per transaction if done in cash. That limit has been reduced to € 1,000 with the exception of payments to those working for the government, pensions and oddly, opera performances. Those latter three items are subject to a new cash limit of just € 500. (Oh, and "structuring" will not be tolerated - i.e. getting around the restrictions by using multiple transactions in a short period of time to the same buyer / seller. Banks will be watching out for such patterns.)

  • Tax on private planes and helicopters: The draft provides for a tax on the annual rate applicable to private aircraft registered in the national aircraft register. The fee is calculated according to weight and is doubled for private helicopters.

  • Tax on luxury cars: The luxury tax is also provided for the most powerful cars on an annual basis. Beginning on the first of January 2012, such cars will be subject to an annual tax equal to € 20 for each kilowatt of power of the vehicle exceeding 170 kW (231 hp).

  • 1.5% "bonus" tax on the most recent amnesty period: 3 times since 2001, Italy has given its citizens the opportunity to repatriate capital from overseas with minimal charges. Approximately € 180 Billion was brought in this way. The government wants to apply an extra 1.5% tax to this substantial amount retroactively.

  • Tax on Financial Assets: The authorities want to apply a tax to most types of assets (investment funds, bank accounts, life insurance policies, securities accounts, etc) at a rate of 1 per thousand in 2012 and 1.5 per thousand in 2013.

  • Real Estate Tax: The reintroduction of municipal property taxes and a variety of related real estate tax measures.
It goes on from there including some additional taxes and duties and a reduction in entitlements.

Needless to say, in one fell swoop, this package is going to affect a lot of people's lives - and not for the better. That's assuming it passes, which isn't yet guaranteed."

But here's the question: Is this a one-off event by a unique country in unique circumstances... or... is this only a sign of things to come (almost non-existent financial privacy, a drop in entitlements, and increased taxation) not just in Italy, but across much of the developed world?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old Dec 9th, 2011, 10:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
PMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hudson, OH, USA
Posts: 2,917
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

Just wonder if there are appropriate cuts in government expenditures as well.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
2008
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold in '67



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMitchell is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 12:04 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Posts: 2,651
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

When are people going to realize that the USA and most other developed nations are in big trouble because their big governments cost big dollars to run.Government needs to be reduced by at least 75%!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
sanjaun2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 12:54 am
Senior Member
 
Tom-Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Marysville, CA, USA
Posts: 202
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
When are people going to realize that the USA and most other developed nations are in big trouble because their big governments cost big dollars to run.Government needs to be reduced by at least 75%!
as you know living in Lake Stevens it would be pretty hard to get it done as long as us guys on the left coast have LA, SF, Portland, Seattle voters to contend with.

My Web site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tom-Hudson is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 2:31 am
Senior Member
 
Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel, , Switzerland
Posts: 445
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

It is a -sighn- of the times and it will get worst, far worst. What we are seeing is just the beginning.
This is a sound-bite of what is happening.
Spain has 40%+ unemployed, my boss has a factory in Spain, just last week he had to sack over half of the workforce and the unions are going batshit. 25% of the just over 20ies are unemployed. Some have taken to highway robbery, Italy is like you said, only irony, oh the irony people are looking the mafia for support and guidance.
People have started to starve in Greece.
The normally bland Belgians are taking to the streets.
Poland may become a new power in Europe, however they hate everybody else.
Austria and Hungary are at loggerheads
Checkei and Slovakia are at loggerheads
What used to be called Jugoslavia is again a powder-keg looking for a spark.
Seems England will leave the EU, rats leaving the sinking ship?
Germany is now in the position to dictate fiscal matters to the rest of the Euro states, France doesn`t like it but sigh, sigh what can they do?
The European far right has seen the light and is coming out of the closet, bad times to be a "Fiji" or a dark skinned person in some places.
A lot of people see the right as a counterbalance to a rising muslem fanatism, even worst time to b e muslem dark skinned person.
In some areas of the UK, France and Germany Sharia law is in practice.
As usual it will be the weak who will suffer hardest first, povety related deaths are set to reach a all time high, not seen since the century before last.
I live in Switzerland, the government has pegged the Frank to the Euro at 1:1.2 otherwise CHian exports would be just too expensive, the peg is set to rise to 1:1.3. As usual it is bloody johnny foreigner taking brad out of the mouths of honest CH Bürgers, google yourself SVP Plakate to see what I mean, bad times to be Ausländer.
Anti American feelings have just been taking steroids since your government has tried to strongarm CH into opening their databases. US threats include a visa for CH citizans visiting the US, so when you come and visit me for a ride in the alps you too may need a visa.
Damn! Stop the planet I wanna get off.
Slammer is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 2:37 am
Senior Member
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,269
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer
It is a -sighn- of the times and it will get worst, far worst. What we are seeing is just the beginning.
This is a sound-bite of what is happening.
Spain has 40%+ unemployed, my boss has a factory in Spain, just last week he had to sack over half of the workforce and the unions are going batshit. 25% of the just over 20ies are unemployed. Some have taken to highway robbery, Italy is like you said, only irony, oh the irony people are looking the mafia for support and guidance.
People have started to starve in Greece.
The normally bland Belgians are taking to the streets.
Poland may become a new power in Europe, however they hate everybody else.
Austria and Hungary are at loggerheads
Checkei and Slovakia are at loggerheads
What used to be called Jugoslavia is again a powder-keg looking for a spark.
Seems England will leave the EU, rats leaving the sinking ship?
Germany is now in the position to dictate fiscal matters to the rest of the Euro states, France doesn`t like it but sigh, sigh what can they do?
The European far right has seen the light and is coming out of the closet, bad times to be a "Fiji" or a dark skinned person in some places.
A lot of people see the right as a counterbalance to a rising muslem fanatism, even worst time to b e muslem dark skinned person.
In some areas of the UK, France and Germany Sharia law is in practice.
As usual it will be the weak who will suffer hardest first, povety related deaths are set to reach a all time high, not seen since the century before last.
I live in Switzerland, the government has pegged the Frank to the Euro at 1:1.2 otherwise CHian exports would be just too expensive, the peg is set to rise to 1:1.3. As usual it is bloody johnny foreigner taking brad out of the mouths of honest CH Bürgers, google yourself SVP Plakate to see what I mean, bad times to be Ausländer.
Anti American feelings have just been taking steroids since your government has tried to strongarm CH into opening their databases. US threats include a visa for CH citizans visiting the US, so when you come and visit me for a ride in the alps you too may need a visa.
Damn! Stop the planet I wanna get off.
+1 What is the loggerhead between Austria and Hungary about? I live in Hungary and I am obviously (blissfully) unaware of it. It seems that Austrian businesses are everywhere in Hungary.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue


Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 3:04 am
Senior Member
 
Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel, , Switzerland
Posts: 445
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
+1 What is the loggerhead between Austria and Hungary about? I live in Hungary and I am obviously (blissfully) unaware of it. It seems that Austrian businesses are everywhere in Hungary.
From a report in "der Spiegel" it seems that there are some issues over traffiking from Hungary to Austria, Vienna must have complained and Budapest told them to go and play with themselves.
One thing lead to another and it got to a Yo` Mama stage.
While I have your interest. Hungary has a centre right government what is the situation with the rise of the far right in Hungary? We hear that like the SVP in CH they are set to gain seats in government.
There are also reports of mishandling at the borders of refugees that Greece has sent on, can you confirm?
I don`know about you but I am starting to be afraid.
Slammer is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 3:48 am
Senior Member
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,269
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer
From a report in "der Spiegel" it seems that there are some issues over traffiking from Hungary to Austria, Vienna must have complained and Budapest told them to go and play with themselves.
One thing lead to another and it got to a Yo` Mama stage.
While I have your interest. Hungary has a centre right government what is the situation with the rise of the far right in Hungary? We hear that like the SVP in CH they are set to gain seats in government.
There are also reports of mishandling at the borders of refugees that Greece has sent on, can you confirm?
I don`know about you but I am starting to be afraid.
My main source of information here is a British dominated expat newsletter. I am not sure how impartial and reliable it is.

I am starting to see that the middle class Hungarians are mainly right wing. I mean this in a negative way, and not right like Republicans in the states. History would lead you to believe that they are racist too. You certainly see almost no minorities here. The only minority are the Roma (Gypsies) and lots is written about them. However I have only seen a handful in the rural areas. I have not seen or heard anything about the trafficking or refugee issues.

It certainly is easy to enter Hungary by air or from the surrounding countries. Coming back from the USA last week via London, a quick glance at my US passport and no check of my luggage and I was in. Coming from the neighboring EU countries you just drive on in. From Croatia (Non EU) a quick glance at the cover of my US and Diana's GB passport got us in. And once you are in you can drive unchecked into Austria and any other EU country. Trafficking and refugee smuggling should be a breeze. The only thing keenly enforced at the border are the road toll laws.

The economy by all I read has taken a serious downturn in the last few years. However the malls and restaurants are packed, lavish Christmas decorations are everywhere, the streets are jammed with late model MB, BMW, Audi, etc. In the summer and fall I saw quite a few new or late model bikes. I live in an upscale suburb and there is plenty of new home construction going on, but I read that construction over all is way down, mainly due to the "bad" Austrian and Swiss mortgage bankers that have the weird idea that they should get repaid at the current exchange rate

On a brighter note: What do you ride? Comes Spring, a road trip to Switzerland sounds great Maybe we can connect for a ride.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue


Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 4:22 am
Senior Member
 
Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel, , Switzerland
Posts: 445
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
My main source of information here is a British dominated expat newsletter. I am not sure how impartial and reliable it is.

I am starting to see that the middle class Hungarians are mainly right wing. I mean this in a negative way, and not right like Republicans in the states. History would lead you to believe that they are racist too. You certainly see almost no minorities here. The only minority are the Roma (Gypsies) and lots is written about them. However I have only seen a handful in the rural areas. I have not seen or heard anything about the trafficking or refugee issues.

It certainly is easy to enter Hungary by air or from the surrounding countries. Coming back from the USA last week via London, a quick glance at my US passport and no check of my luggage and I was in. Coming from the neighboring EU countries you just drive on in. From Croatia (Non EU) a quick glance at the cover of my US and Diana's GB passport got us in. And once you are in you can drive unchecked into Austria and any other EU country. Trafficking and refugee smuggling should be a breeze. The only thing keenly enforced at the border are the road toll laws.

The economy by all I read has taken a serious downturn in the last few years. However the malls and restaurants are packed, lavish Christmas decorations are everywhere, the streets are jammed with late model MB, BMW, Audi, etc. In the summer and fall I saw quite a few new or late model bikes. I live in an upscale suburb and there is plenty of new home construction going on, but I read that construction over all is way down, mainly due to the "bad" Austrian and Swiss mortgage bankers that have the weird idea that they should get repaid at the current exchange rate

On a brighter note: What do you ride? Comes Spring, a road trip to Switzerland sounds great Maybe we can connect for a ride.
That is quite an important message it sums everything up in one sentence. Allover Europe we see the rich are getting richer and the poorer are getting poorer, civil strife will get worst as teh rich strive to protect their status against the great unwashed, the middle class is now set to join the poorer with only a few able to rise.

I would like a roadtrip very much, my LT has now 240.000 K`s on the clock and she is dying on me, also the MFK is due January and without a major overhaul I am afraid she will not pass this time round, so I have decided on a new baby, as you can replace a LT only with another LT, I am gonna have a closer look at this one next Saturday.
http://www.motorradhandel.ch/detail/...2650&auswahl=1

ex-police and in good nick.

Last edited by Slammer; Dec 10th, 2011 at 4:29 am.
Slammer is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 10:15 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,280
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

My wife and I have been seriously looking at Argentina for a couple of years as a great, low cost place to ultimately retire, which is still a decade away for us. Until now - inflation is currently running at 25%.

Hmmm, I wonder if the Mafia has a branch in Argentina?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 11:09 am
Senior Member
 
Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel, , Switzerland
Posts: 445
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
My wife and I have been seriously looking at Argentina for a couple of years as a great, low cost place to ultimately retire, which is still a decade away for us. Until now - inflation is currently running at 25%.

Hmmm, I wonder if the Mafia has a branch in Argentina?
I would go for Uruguay, a beautiful place and as good as anywhere to retire.
Slammer is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 1:36 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,928
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

I didn't see the Ferrari tax get raised. I have been told that everone that works in Italy pays a tax to keep the doors open at the Ferrari factory and to support the factory Ferrari race teams.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 7:48 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Posts: 2,651
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Hudson
as you know living in Lake Stevens it would be pretty hard to get it done as long as us guys on the left coast have LA, SF, Portland, Seattle voters to contend with.
Sad but true.....

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
sanjaun2 is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 3:44 am
Senior Member
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,269
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer
That is quite an important message it sums everything up in one sentence. Allover Europe we see the rich are getting richer and the poorer are getting poorer, civil strife will get worst as teh rich strive to protect their status against the great unwashed, the middle class is now set to join the poorer with only a few able to rise.

I would like a roadtrip very much, my LT has now 240.000 K`s on the clock and she is dying on me, also the MFK is due January and without a major overhaul I am afraid she will not pass this time round, so I have decided on a new baby, as you can replace a LT only with another LT, I am gonna have a closer look at this one next Saturday.
http://www.motorradhandel.ch/detail/...2650&auswahl=1

ex-police and in good nick.
Well, how was the bike?

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue


Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 4:05 am
Senior Member
 
Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel, , Switzerland
Posts: 445
Re: Be glad you're not in Italy

No idea yet, still not next Saturday.
Slammer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touring Italy in November spjbyrnes Europe 1 Aug 19th, 2010 11:14 pm
The Dickless Big Bend Run grifscoots Ride Tales 19 Apr 22nd, 2009 11:06 pm
10 Days in Italy drmajor Europe 11 Jul 12th, 2007 9:15 pm
Italy 2007- help drmajor Europe 1 Dec 6th, 2006 3:46 pm
August in Italy Malki Europe 5 May 7th, 2006 3:11 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome